Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When???? will we win again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry but I don't agree. I'm from a time when Audi was unheard of in the US. Porsche used to race around with Porsche+Audi on their cars in order to promote the brand in the States. Now look at them (and their reputation).
Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
I'm sorry but I don't agree. I'm from a time when Audi was unheard of in the US. Porsche used to race around with Porsche+Audi on their cars in order to promote the brand in the States. Now look at them (and their reputation).
I'm not sure what you're not agreeing with, but I'm from that time too! I owned a 1991 Audi 90Q, and the only "fame" Audi had was mythical sudden acceleration.

At the time that the brands Porsche+Audi appeared on race cars, Audi didn't have much of a product line to sell in the US. Their recent success is 100% product-driven. The late 1990s A4 was a breakthrough car for them, putting them on the radar for BMW buyers. But the race program is like the Mercedes F1 program -- not really tied to production cars. (The R8 program is the first one that connects to production cars, but that's in its infancy.)

And from today forward, Audi's big growth market is Asia. I do not know how much value they get from LMS/ALMS wins when selling big sedans in Beijing! They like their Buicks in China. And to let Porsche's racing heritage slide would just be DUMB. It's too powerful a selling tool.

PS: A few years ago, VAG stated a commitment to make Audi the performance brand for the group, and VW was going to go upscale (remember the Phaeton!) and more Lexus-style mainstream. In truth, VAG has not done much to the Audi product line to make it more or less performance oriented, and they gave up on VW as the next Lexus (thank god).

Last edited by Potomac-Greg; 06-15-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Not ALMS but Le Mans. they have confirmed their return for 2010.
Beyond that- we will see.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In 1999 diesel sales in europe where about ~28% whereas today it's ~53%.

Audi & Peugeot have a very heavy interest in diesel cars and their promotion is towards diesel technology.
Regulators had big problems to equalize the capability between diesel and petrol performance and therefore the preference for endurance racing, where it's easier to equalize.
In sprint racing, Seat is doing the same thing in WTCC. VW is currently developing BioGas race cars and are racing development cars already.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Spyderidol
Racer

Absolutely! They (Audi and Peugeot) basically helped the ACO write the very pro-diesel rules for LMP1.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
Absolutely! They (Audi and Peugeot) basically helped the ACO write the very pro-diesel rules for LMP1.
No doubt!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanna911
Ferrari had a better game plan, they didn't care too much about qualifying, just wanted to be towards the front and run consistently the whole race. And that's what they did. Well executed game plan. Risi has taken their only car with a serious driver lineup to Lemans two years in a row and ran like clockwork while Porsche taken 3-4 over that same period of time and come away with jack, and with faster cars both times. Maybe this will be the wakeup call for them to take Lemans more seriously.

On a side note, maybe Ferrari should promote their GT2 strategist to F1. LOL
The other disturbing part is the number of 430s on the grid compared to RSRs. More and more teams are switching to Ferrari because Ferrari provides much better support. Until Porsche starts supporting racing and supporting the teams, it's only going to get worse.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Totally agree,....

Porsche produced their best products as well as enjoyed a successful racing program when bean-counters didn't run the company.

Car companies need a balance of engineering and product-oriented managers to be successful and they need to race what they sell for a such a program to justify itself.
Well said. The evidence is plain to see in the once great car companies here at home.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It seems like all companies have a period where they take their heritage for granted and lose their way..Porsche is/was on the verge of doing just that...they became fat and comfortable. The board of directors and the Porsche family did not ask the tough questions and Weideking just did whatever he wanted without supervision as long as the profits went up...Piech is rumored to have dis-liked him from the start however.

Quick Reply: When???? will we win again?