Sponsored by:

MichelinPS Cups, Toyo R888's, or Yokohama Advan A048's

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Is this the same as hp vs torque or R-comp vs Slick?

Thread death complete. LOL.

I wonder if you two will be playing thread topics in your head as you race each other leading to more and more aggression on the race track ending in a monumental collision of bench racing come to life. At least bench racing is actually leading to real racing for once.

LMAO! I dunno... So will you be around for July 4th? Do you know if Jenk will too?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-10-2009, 06:32 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LMAO! I dunno... So will you be around for July 4th? Do you know if Jenk will too?

As of now, I will be around as we haven't made any plans. I'll be in town, maybe we can grab dinner or something. Don't know about Jenk.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

And who is the one doing the racing here rather than sitting on the beach?

I thought so. You are living in a fantasy world.

I got plenty of the quick TV time with my sponsors mentioned and seen on the tube. Big deal. You got punted because you are PUNTABLE!!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...from_50143.htm

As far as tires go. Hmm, talk to anyone that has even used a tire this far down without seeing cords and ask them if they would want a fresh or near corded one. Interesting that near ALL the WCGT teams at some point or another, have donated (indirectly) their tires to me as they opted to BUY a new set for qualifying and the race. why???? they are just faster when new /shaved.
The point here is that the R888 and older RA1 are great tires, slightly slower than the other top DOT tires but have a unique capability to fall off less ,as far as performance, but they still fall off . Now, I know this is a lot of words for you to read, and I expect you to misread it as well, so let me summarize for you:

VR,
Used bald toyos are only about .5 seconds slower than new shaved toyos
This can happen at 10-20 heat cycles and not fall off too much more until you see the cords.
New toyos (under 5 heat cycles) are always faster.

This is from a guy that has about 10x + your experience on them. thats 120+ race days talking here, at the same tracks, under the same conditions with the same car.

Now, back to the discussion.

Bring your A game VR. Thats all Im going to say. But BRING it! My bet is you are going to find some excuse to wiggle out.

Best,

Mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
[IMG]

Yes, Spartacus, it was and is a whole family of real companies...as were the other sponsors whose logos were visible at the beginning of the clip on the side of the car after I got punted on the restart. And none of these companies make scam-a-rama intake manifold fan gimmicks.

Again, sweetie, RA1's are renowned for being consistent to cording. Your "unique" experience to the contrary is self-explanatory.

You are SO easy to play over & over again. Way to wear all your insecurites on your sleeves for EVERYONE here to see! And the most fun part is that everyone but you sees it coming ever time, but you step right into it. Sweet!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Who said the RA1s are no longer available. Seem to be available all over?
(to be clear, we all know they are being "phased out" this year.)

By the way VR,

When we do this race , which will probably be run on RA1s I would guess, and since you made such a stink of this, we are going to put you on the RA1s with no tread left. (just before cording) I get the newer tire, since EVERYONE knows they are "consistant" down to the cords. you should have NO problem with this one change to the challenge, OK?? You are such a joker!

mk

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Mark,

I think VR was referring to the fact that since the OP was not considering RA-1's, a tire that is no longer available, any discussion about them is rather pointless.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
As of now, I will be around as we haven't made any plans. I'll be in town, maybe we can grab dinner or something. Don't know about Jenk.

That would be excellent! I will email you my cell phone number. I expect to arrive at RA on that Thursday afternoon, presuming they have Thursday drop-off for instructors. I am staying 10 minutes from the track, and I will be there all 3 days of the event.

I'll ping Mike to see if he'll be around too.

This thread will be at least 6 pages. This is SO easy....

Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VR, your almost at 14K posts!!! MPSCs per Mark are very fast if you get them up to 160 plus degrees. Colin and Dr. Jupe had advised me of this maybe 3 years ago and they were spot on. I have run times within a second of R6's and they last along time. If they start to fall off (HC out), you just beat the crap out of them for 10mins and they gain life again (ask Larry as we did a track day together with the same car on them). The only point I do not agree with is they suck in cold wet weather. You need to get them up to temp by crossing the slip angle pretty agressively for a lap or so and then they come in . I am not sure I would suggest them for a novice driver, but they are great practice tires for club racers.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
VR, your almost at 14K posts!!!

A man's GOT to have goals.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

VR, your almost at 14K posts!!! MPSCs per Mark are very fast if you get them up to 160 plus degrees. Colin and Dr. Jupe had advised me of this maybe 3 years ago and they were spot on. I have run times within a second of R6's and they last along time. If they start to fall off (HC out), you just beat the crap out of them for 10mins and they gain life again (ask Larry as we did a track day together with the same car on them). The only point I do not agree with is they suck in cold wet weather. You need to get them up to temp by crossing the slip angle pretty agressively for a lap or so and then they come in . I am not sure I would suggest them for a novice driver, but they are great practice tires for club racers.
I have found MPSC's to be just fine in cool conditions, although I am less aggressive with them on the first lap than I am with R6's, which is more from caution than anything else.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Thanks much for the insight guys. I bought a set of 888's this time and will try the Michelins next time.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

FWIW, after experimenting with MSPC's, NT-01's, and R888's, I've decided to stick with the Toyo's. They are good to the cord, and when new they are very good in the wet. I figure I will just always keep two sets, with the spares being my rain tires when I need them, and then whey I cord the other set, the spares become my primary tires, and I get a new set of "rains". I'm sure other tires are faster, but I just don't have the coin to run a new set of tires every 15 cycles. (or whatever it is on the Hooters).
Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Down Boys!

"Can't we just get along?," as the philosopher Rodney King requested.

Seriously ... we are all lovers of our cars etc and we should be able to talk to each other and understand/appreciate each other's sincerity.

Let's not assume the other guy is insulting, an idiot, etc, but rather someone with a different viewpoint
-- and perhaps we didn't understand what he was saying? And while we're at it, can't we avoid digs/insults to the other guy in our messages?

Now watch: I'll get the flames and hatemail.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fhp911
Down Boys!

Now watch: I'll get the flames and hatemail.
Go back to your exit on the NJTP!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:11 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is my original post. You can see, the OP was asking about "bang for the buck" , etc. If you read this, you can see I was using my experience with the RA1, to lean toward the R888 as being a good tire for his goals, because it is made from the same compound. Yes, I even went on later to explain my experience with their life expectancy. I backed up this with actual pictures of very old vs very new RA1s .

VR loves to fight and be right. Heck, we all think we are right, or we wouldnt voice our opinion. However, picking fights just to put others down and stroke his ego, gets a little old sometimes. Sometimes, it is funny, but too much of anything is not always a good thing.

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Im partial to the RA1s, and heard that the R888s are the same compound. Ive gotten some crazy life out of them. sometimes a full year of driving, commuting to the track and all the practice sessions before races are done with my B set of RA1s. sometimes my best time is only .4-.5 seconds slower with these used , bald , old '04 tires!! they are pretty amazing!
I havent tried the others which I think are more on par with Hoosiers. (up to 1 second faster)
mk
Old 06-11-2009, 07:02 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, mine have been good down to almost bald. Ran some 1:40.x's at Barber in very cold weather on a drying from snow track. You do have to muscle them a little bit though. If I weren't changing wheel sizes I wouldn't try anything else.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Here is my original post. You can see, the OP was asking about "bang for the buck" , etc. If you read this, you can see I was using my experience with the RA1, to lean toward the R888 as being a good tire for his goals, because it is made from the same compound. Yes, I even went on later to explain my experience with their life expectancy. I backed up this with actual pictures of very old vs very new RA1s .

VR loves to fight and be right. Heck, we all think we are right, or we wouldnt voice our opinion. However, picking fights just to put others down and stroke his ego, gets a little old sometimes. Sometimes, it is funny, but too much of anything is not always a good thing.

Mark, again, the 888 is a very different tire in almost every way, so comparisons with the RA1 are facile at best.

And your second paragraph is pure projection intermixed with a supersize portion of irony. Sorry that everyone here but you sees it.

Quick Reply: MichelinPS Cups, Toyo R888's, or Yokohama Advan A048's