Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MichelinPS Cups, Toyo R888's, or Yokohama Advan A048's

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

You heat-cycled out RA1's before they corded?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

That may be the funniest thing posted here in a long, long time.

It explains a lot, Mark.

This is gonna be easy in August.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-10-2009, 01:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, the grip was just not there when they were 30 heat cycles into the bald rears. Fronts were a little old (years wise) and were not quite as good.

Look Ego-boy, Im not going to debate the obvious. my A set vs my B set usually result in about .5 second differnce. Ive been racing these more that most here EVEN you. This is with over 120 races day on many sets.

The rears Im pulling off, ive had for a year. they are not terrible, but are just not as sticky as the newer 7 heat cycle tires. they were pretty lose in qualifying last month, but ok. the new tires were much better and this is what I see. Now, when was the last time you ran a really bald , 30+ heat cycle RA1

Ill post a picture of the difference.

and yes, they do heat cycle out, but NO WHERE near the ball park of the hoosiers.

Just bring your A game in August. You will need it Ego-Boy.

mk
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You heat-cycled out RA1's before they corded?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

That may be the funniest thing posted here in a long, long time.

It explains a lot, Mark.

This is gonna be easy in August.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Ok everyone.

You all tell me which tire you want in an important race?

Knuckel-Head! These both came of the same car, off the same day and which one was slower and felt a little lose?

Same car, same day, and look at the visual differnces!

One has 30+ heat cycles the other 5.

Which one is picking up more rubber off the track?

Which one was .5 seconds consistantly slower over the last 6 race weekends?

Both are the same? maybe for VR as he rolls on the ground laughing talking about something he has no clue about!

BTW, when a hoosier heat cycles out , ive seen 2 seconds and its really not fun to drive with them. Toyos are good all the way to the cords, but not quite as good as a newer one.

Anyway, the bald ones are getting tossed, even though they are still decent as far as grip, im putting the new hoosiers R6s on them for the experiement this next race at LAGUNA SECA.

The point of all this is that even those bald, many heat cycled toyos can run perfectly fine for a DE or fun race that wasnt that competitive. I ran those bald tires in the NCRC race that I posted a video on this board in Dec. They were a little squirrely, but just fine for tires I dont care about and were only about .5 seconds off my best time at Thunderhill, Sears and Laguna.

and no, the bald set were not driven home from the track, as usual. It was put on a trailer after the race weekend.

enjoy!
Attached Images    

Last edited by mark kibort; 06-10-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Mark, despite your 500+ words, you obviously missed the point.

As anyone here who has any credible experience with RA1's knows, they are consistent to cording. If you are heat cycling them out before cording, you are obviously not going fast enough.

Game, set, and match.

FYI, Larry, the 888's are plenty fast, but their wear and heat cycle characteristics are very different from the RA1's, as are (in many cases) optimum pressures and temperatures. As the WC teams have also discovered, they reqire some significant differences in set-up to get the performance out of them. Please do not get drawn into futile discussions about RA1's from misinformants like Mark, since the 888's are quite a different animal.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-10-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Im partial to the RA1s, and heard that the R888s are the same compound. Ive gotten some crazy life out of them. sometimes a full year of driving, commuting to the track and all the practice sessions before races are done with my B set of RA1s. sometimes my best time is only .4-.5 seconds slower with these used , bald , old '04 tires!! they are pretty amazing!
I havent tried the others which I think are more on par with Hoosiers. (up to 1 second faster)
mk
You didnt read the post either. I mentioned only that i liked the RA1 and that the R888 was made from the same compound.

Its is a good point as being a reference point on how the R888s can perform.

Thats it.

Mk
I have no horse in the VR versus Mark Kibort race (I like reading both of your posts, usually), but I'm pretty sure you added the "and heard that the R888s are the same compound" line in your first post at 11:38am today. Anyway, at least when I read what you had originally posted, there was no mention of the R888 compound similarity to the RA-1's, which is precisely why any reference to them was off topic and why VR and I made mention of your post. I only posted to clarify what I thought VR was elucidating and wasn't trying to be insulting.

Carry on.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I think my times speak for themselves. Laguna Seca 1:38.7 on toyos with 306rwhp and 3000lbs. (ave 1:39.1 for years ). So you tell me anyone that has driven Lagna faster with anywhere near the same weight and HP? So, I dont think I'm ******* it out there with these tires.

Anyway, you go on to advise about toyos and then start refering to WC teams. Remember, these are shaved? You are all over the map.
Are you feeling ok?

edit: Btw, Hoosier and Toyos are different animals. Toyo RA1 and Toyo R888 are brothers and have subtle differences. IF you talk to those that know anything about them. (top drivers and times with them at a track near you!)

Mark, despite your 500+ words, you obviously missed the point.

As anyone here who has any credible experience with RA1's knows, they are consistent to cording. If you are heat cycling them out before cording, you are obviously not going fast enough.

Game, set, and match.

FYI, Larry, the 888's are plenty fast, but their wear and heat cycle characteristics are very different from the RA1's, as are (in many cases) optimum pressures and temperatures. As the WC teams have also discovered, they reqire some significant differences in set-up to get the performance out of them. Please do not get drawn into futile discussions about RA1's from misinformants like Mark, since the 888's are quite a different animal.

Last edited by mark kibort; 06-10-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Dont add fuel to the fire! Anyone that read the post saw that the "same compound" comment was the MAIN point of the post. The only edit was when I went to grab the line to copy it, i noticed a spelling error in the word "crasy". I changed it to "Crazy". That was the ONLY change I made to the original post.

Just proof that you didnt read it either.

Man, you guys act like a bunch of girls

If you dont have a horse in this race, then why do you want to lie/guess and add fuel to the fire?

mk

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I have no horse in the VR versus Mark Kibort race (I like reading both of your posts, usually), but I'm pretty sure you added the "and heard that the R888s are the same compound" line in your first post at 11:38am today. Anyway, at least when I read what you had originally posted, there was no mention of the R888 compound similarity to the RA-1's, which is precisely why any reference to them was off topic and why VR and I made mention of your post. I only posted to clarify what I thought VR was elucidating and wasn't trying to be insulting.

Carry on.

Last edited by mark kibort; 06-10-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

VR,
The only thing you should be advising anyone on is how to get out of the beach and why driving too hard is not such a good thing. (or at least over your ability levels)

See you in August Ego-boy

Bring your "A" game! You will need it!
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2009, 03:56 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

my 2 cents, 048's I use them in damp or cool/cold weather. MPSC during hot and dry events, Nitto NT-01s are narrow (275 rear) so they give up some grip but they are very predictable. I have a set of 888s on deck.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Dont add fuel to the fire! Anyone that read the post saw that the "same compound" comment was the MAIN point of the post. The only edit was when I went to grab the line to copy it, i noticed a spelling error in the word "crasy". I changed it to "Crazy". That was the ONLY change I made to the original post.

Just proof that you didnt read it either.

Man, you guys act like a bunch of girls

If you dont have a horse in this race, then why do you want to lie/guess and add fuel to the fire?

mk

You sound just like GhettoRacer, bubba.

Tell us all of the times YOU got 5 minutes of uninterrupted time on Speed TV, mentioning YOUR name, and showing YOUR sponsors' logos, Mark...LMAO, don't you see how you just peed into the breeze here? Oh that's right, you have none except getting lapped by Randy Pobst...

Most REAL racers would kill to have that video, and that photo, all over the place.

Now, tell us again how your driving causes RA1's to heat cycle out before they cord. That is an all-time classic right there.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You have some SERIOUS issues VR. Really.

Anchor Racing is your sponsor? Is that even a company?

Anyway, talking about pissing in the breeze. You want exposure on the beach, how fitting, I want exposure racing.

So, now that you asked, you have not seen my clips of TV time on speed either? what about all the magazine articles and covers?

Again, proving you have no idea what you are talking about and futher proving you are nothing more than a Beached Mouth!

Since you asked:

The 30 heat cycle tires have been used initially in all races until about 15 heat cycles and then they are strictly used for commuting to the track and street driving for over 8000miles. before they cord, they are not quite as fast as the newer tires with less than 10 heat cycles. as proved by the pictures of pick up. Is this not painfully obvious to you ? Look at that wear pattern. perfect all the way across. they could last another few weekends, but why when I have tires that are faster stacked in the garage. Faster, means better, so yes, if your defiintion of "heat cycled" means slower, they are slower after some period of time. depending on their use.

You sound just like GhettoRacer, bubba.

Tell us all of the times YOU got 5 minutes of uninterrupted time on Speed TV, mentioning YOUR name, and showing YOUR sponsors' logos, Mark...LMAO, don't you see how you just peed into the breeze here? Oh that's right, you have none except getting lapped by Randy Pobst...

Most REAL racers would kill to have that video, and that photo, all over the place.

Now, tell us again how your driving causes RA1's to heat cycle out before they cord. That is an all-time classic right there.

Attached Images    
Old 06-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

You have some SERIOUS issues VR. Really.

Anchor Racing is your sponsor? Is that even a company?

Anyway, talking about pissing in the breeze. You want exposure on the beach, how fitting, I want exposure racing.

So, now that you asked, you have not seen my clips of TV time on speed either? what about all the magazine articles and covers?

Again, proving you have no idea what you are talking about and futher proving you are nothing more than a Beached Mouth!

Since you asked:

The 30 heat cycle tires have been used initially in all races until about 15 heat cycles and then they are strictly used for commuting to the track and street driving for over 8000miles. before they cord, they are not quite as fast as the newer tires with less than 10 heat cycles. as proved by the pictures of pick up. Is this not painfully obvious to you ? Look at that wear pattern. perfect all the way across. they could last another few weekends, but why when I have tires that are faster stacked in the garage. Faster, means better, so yes, if your defiintion of "heat cycled" means slower, they are slower after some period of time. depending on their use.

Yes, Spartacus, it was and is a whole family of real companies...as were the other sponsors whose logos were visible at the beginning of the clip on the side of the car after I got punted on the restart. And none of these companies make scam-a-rama intake manifold fan gimmicks.

Again, sweetie, RA1's are renowned for being consistent to cording. Your "unique" experience to the contrary is self-explanatory.

You are SO easy to play over & over again. Way to wear all your insecurites on your sleeves for EVERYONE here to see! And the most fun part is that everyone but you sees it coming ever time, but you step right into it. Sweet!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

MK + VR: Seriously guys, get a room already! Or step away from the keyboard. This is getting ridiculous. It's mildly entertaining/funny, but also annoying when every thread becomes another chapter in your personal BRO-mance.

On topic: I have run the 888s and the MPSCs (the real 18" ones) in street legal cars (i.e. stock weight), and of those two I like the MPSCs better. They seem to me to be more predictable at the limit and I personally have gotten faster laptimes after switching from 888's to MPSCs. That comparison is after 9 years on RA1's which I thought were a great cost/performance combo. The only drawback of the MPSCs is that I don't think they last as long... but I've only just finished my first set so my data is thin there. Your 996TT car is even heavier than my '03 C2 so that may lead to different results as well. Conceptually, I also like the fact that the MPSCs are lighter than the 888s, although I won't pretend to know how significant that will be for you in actual practice.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quickxotica
MK + VR: Seriously guys, get a room already! Or step away from the keyboard. This is getting ridiculous. It's mildly entertaining/funny, but also annoying when every thread becomes another chapter in your personal BRO-mance.

On topic: I have run the 888s and the MPSCs (the real 18" ones) in street legal cars (i.e. stock weight), and of those two I like the MPSCs better. They seem to me to be more predictable at the limit and I personally have gotten faster laptimes after switching from 888's to MPSCs. That comparison is after 9 years on RA1's which I thought were a great cost/performance combo. The only drawback of the MPSCs is that I don't think they last as long... but I've only just finished my first set so my data is thin there. Your 996TT car is even heavier than my '03 C2 so that may lead to different results as well. Conceptually, I also like the fact that the MPSCs are lighter than the 888s, although I won't pretend to know how significant that will be for you in actual practice.

Good luck.

No bromance at all, bro. You'll note that I answered the OP with specific focus early in this train wreck. I just hate to see folks here get misinformed by guys like Mark. If you don't like that, feel free to put me on ignore--doesn't matter much to me.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the same as hp vs torque or R-comp vs Slick?

Thread death complete. LOL.

I wonder if you two will be playing thread topics in your head as you race each other leading to more and more aggression on the race track ending in a monumental collision of bench racing come to life. At least bench racing is actually leading to real racing for once.

Quick Reply: MichelinPS Cups, Toyo R888's, or Yokohama Advan A048's