Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MichelinPS Cups, Toyo R888's, or Yokohama Advan A048's

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I figured it must have been unavailable in the US but wasn't sure. Interestingly we've had the R888s down here for at least 3 years. Not sure why they took so long to introduce them into the US market? I think they're a very good tyre but I found some cheap RE55s which enjoy an equal if not superior reputation. Must be the same with the Dunlop R specs as well. I never see them mentioned in here? They're meant to be the best.
Love the TE37s too.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Land Jet

MichelinPS Cups, Toyo R888's, or Yokohama Advan A048's

These are the only choices I have found in the tire sizes for my 2002 996TT. Which will give me the most track days? Which do you feel is the superior tire? Which is the most bang for the buck?
Don't know the pricing you have. Cannot comment on bang-for-buck.
From what I've seen, MPSC is the quickest tire in the dry of those mentioned. Virgin set is wicked quick but that will only last a few laps. After that they are still quite good, but you will not achieve that last second. Most never achieve it anyways either. So don't consider it to be a biggie if you're not into lap records. Then you got a couple of heat cycles or wear it down. Depending on track.

In the wet MPSC (especially if cold tires), performance is quite poor.

There is a side wall issue with MPSC, but that is only if you reach really short and high compression G's and the tire pressure isn't high enough (a little bit too cold tire). Never heard it occur on U.S tracks though.

Anyway, plenty of info about the tires on Rennlist. Search function is your friend.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to hear someone say something nice about the AO48's. I have just switched to NT-01's and really like them. Cannot say anything about life yet, but if the first 5 track days are any indication, they look bullet proof....and you cannot beat the price!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I didn't check sizes, but my current wet dry R compound is the Pirelli Corsa (note not the Corsa System) which is a street tires but the 'real' Corsa R compound. Made in Porsche sizes, it is a bit slower than the MPSC in the dry but it is usable in the wet like to RA1. It is faster than the RA1 and unlike the 888 doe not squirm like mad.

Best,
Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
I have yet to hear someone say something nice about the AO48's. I have just switched to NT-01's and really like them. Cannot say anything about life yet, but if the first 5 track days are any indication, they look bullet proof....and you cannot beat the price!
Agree with you on the A048s. They came with a set of wheels I purchased and they were simply awful track tires. Not very good grip when new and they cycled out well before the cords started to show. Driving with them and MPSCs were night and day.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to try the Nittos because of the price but I would have to go to a wider size and I'm already rubbing a little with stock sizes due to my car being lowered. I think I'll try the 888's first and then the MPSC's next time. Anything I should be aware of going from street tires to R compounds for the first time?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Anything I should be aware of going from street tires to R compounds for the first time?

They will (generally) communicate to you less with noise, so you may have a harder time realizing when limits are being reached. They will also tend to let go a bit more suddenly than street tires, although some R-comps will allow surprising amounts of slip angle before letting go. IMO start out slowly with them--slower than you are accustomed to going with streets--to acclimate yourself ot their feel, sound, and warm-up characteristics. And take with you an instructor who runs a similar car on R-comps if possible.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM
boss351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have similar cars LJ, I start off 30 front 30 rear cold on the R888's and check each session, playing between 37-40 hot. Not 100% sure where the sweet spot is yet and also depends on open track vs shorter DE type sessions with the pressures/temps to get the best out of them, probably on the lower end of the range is best. The fronts wear quicker than the rears, maybe surprisingly, on my car, be interested to hear about yours.

Remember to put some air back in to the tyres before you leave the track if you are driving home on them, street driving they will drop straight back down to near cold temps and will feel very soft and squirmy.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

You didnt read the post either. I mentioned only that i liked the RA1 and that the R888 was made from the same compound.

Its is a good point as being a reference point on how the R888s can perform.

Thats it.

Mk

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Mark,

I think VR was referring to the fact that since the OP was not considering RA-1's, a tire that is no longer available, any discussion about them is rather pointless.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thats another dimension if we are talking shaved vs unshaved.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ron, your 1st 2 track days on R888 will not be what you are hoping for. 3rd day will be better but 4th day on will be loads of fun. You will feel the R888 tread moving around on you during threshold braking and entering and exiting corners hard.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Mark,

I think VR was referring to the fact that since the OP was not considering RA-1's, a tire that is no longer available, any discussion about them is rather pointless.

Correct. And in fact the 888's behave quite differently than the RA1's.

But it's still fun to watch Spartacus backpedal double-time...

Old 06-10-2009, 12:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Backpedaling? Really? I was referencing the RA1, not advocating. After all it wasnt even part of his 3 tires of consideration.
I said, "Im partial to the RA1s, and heard that the R888s are the same compound. " Let me explain. Because I have not tried the R888 yet, and it is made from the same compound, I thought my expeience with the RA1 might have some value.

Hey, someone even metioned RE55s and they are not even part of choices. Why dont you blast them?

Anyway, all the world challenge guys I speak to say they are very similar with some subtle differences due to the slight tread vs the two grooves of the RA1s.

"Quite differently" Really VR, with all your worldly experience with them?

Im going to start calling you EGO-MAN!

Shouldnt you be out drivng 4x4 suburbans around cones or something?

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Correct. And in fact the 888's behave quite differently than the RA1's.

But it's still fun to watch Spartacus backpedal double-time...

Old 06-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Backpedaling? Really? I was referencing the RA1, not advocating. After all it wasnt even part of his 3 tires of consideration.

Anyway, all the world challenge guys I speak to say they are very similar with some subtle differences due to the slight tread vs the two grooves of the RA1s.

"Quite differently" Really VR, with all your worldly experience with them?

Im going to start calling you EGO-MAN!

Oh, the IRONY.

Yes, Mark, with all my worldly experience with them, they are very different. Sorry you have exactly zero experience with them. Also, I don't know who you are talking with in WC, but all WC racers shave their spec tires, so tread pattern is irrelevant, as it was with the RA1's. So I call BS on your BS.

Keep dancing to my tune, Spartacus. You are SO easy. Jump higher!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:53 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love me some MPSC, I even emailed Michelin and asked them why they discontinued other 18" sizes above 295 because if you get wheels wider than stock 996 TT wheels you can't run them anymore. I hate that with a passion.

NT-01's are the best bang for the buck though, and for a Torquey car like the TT is a best bet for a starter R-comp. Tons of rear end grip, but a little mushy and less precise compared to the MPSC, which in my experience are very accute. NT-01's are HARD to spin in the rear, even with substantial hp. I have not heard the same of R888's even though the compounds are supposed to be similar. The MPSC have higher cornering speeds than the Nitto,Toyo compounds but less mash the throttle resistance so they promote smooth throttle application IMO. The NT-01 also has some funky tire sizes that I don't really like.

In the end for your application I'd go NT-01/R888 then try MPSC.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yes, i was talking shaved
Yes, i was comparing the RA1 to the R888 with respect to compound
Yes, I have talked to SpeedWC drives about the RA888 (shaved)
Yes, the faint tread pattern can effect the tires performance, even when shaved

And, you would probably want to run a DOT tire like the RA1, (old) or the R888 shaved, unless it is really for your street car that occasionally hits the track.
As I mentioned, i got plenty of life out of the tires (RA1 shaved). a full year of weekend driving, commuting to the tracks and running them in the practice sessions, and they seemed to heat cycle out before I saw cords.

How can I dance to your tune when you cant keep a note?

Dude, get a grip!

Oh Yeah,why dont you tell us all the cars you have driven with the full tread RA1 vs the R888 as to make your comparison.
Im sure it was on the same track, same day and same car too. Man, you are a piece of work arent you Ego-Man!

August is coming fast. I hope your driving is up to the level of your mouth!

mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Oh, the IRONY.

Yes, Mark, with all my worldly experience with them, they are very different. Sorry you have exactly zero experience with them. Also, I don't know who you are talking with in WC, but all WC racers shave their spec tires, so tread pattern is irrelevant, as it was with the RA1's. So I call BS on your BS.

Keep dancing to my tune, Spartacus. You are SO easy. Jump higher!

Quick Reply: MichelinPS Cups, Toyo R888's, or Yokohama Advan A048's