Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a UK or non-US race license?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Getting a UK or non-US race license?

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who went the ACCUS/ASN route to getting a race license transferred outside the US.

In both the UK and in Germany the advice I'm getting is just to follow their procedures to get their license and not bother with the transfer.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

No responses but in case anyone else becomes interested in doing this, what worked for me was renewing my SCCA license as a National license instead of a Regional license and then requesting that ACCUS send MSA a letter that I was not on their bad boy list. Then I filed my MSA application (with a local medical and showing my UK address). I followed up with a number of calls and e-mails to ACCUS and MSA, providing copies of my race results for 12 races last year and a detailed explanantion of what races I intended to do where this year (UK and maybe Germany, but none in the US). Patience helps, too. My final call to ACCUS was handled by a 25-year veteran of the SCCA who really understands the regional vs. national distinction. She advised me to tell MSA that I drove regional races because my SSM car is a regional-only class. I think that helped. In the UK there are clubman, national B, national A and international races. There is not nearly the difference in SCCA racing that there is in the UK, as far as I can tell.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Can't you just get an FIA license? Mine is theoretically valid worldwide.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

FIA licenses are good for races on the FIA calendar, but there are very few of those. The FIA calendar is here: http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/calen.../circuit1.aspx There is a procedure for some races to have the sanctioning body add the race to the FIA calendar, but there is a fee for that that is passed on to the driver who requests it. At least that is what I understand to be the case.

Have you raced outside the US on a FIA license only? Inside the US on just that license?

The Ma5da series I am doing requires a MSA National B or above or a professional license issued by the ASN of an EU country. The VLN in Germany requires a German International or National A or a professional license issued by the ASN of an EU country. Non-German drivers can have a National license valid inside the EU or an International license. I'm told by a fellow who races in the VLN that the minimun UK license for that is an International C. I can upgrade my National A to an International C by completing six races in the UK, and that's what I have scheduled.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
FIA licenses are good for races on the FIA calendar, but there are very few of those. The FIA calendar is here: http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/calen.../circuit1.aspx There is a procedure for some races to have the sanctioning body add the race to the FIA calendar, but there is a fee for that that is passed on to the driver who requests it. At least that is what I understand to be the case.

Have you raced outside the US on a FIA license only? Inside the US on just that license?

The Ma5da series I am doing requires a MSA National B or above or a professional license issued by the ASN of an EU country. The VLN in Germany requires a German International or National A or a professional license issued by the ASN of an EU country. Non-German drivers can have a National license valid inside the EU or an International license. I'm told by a fellow who races in the VLN that the minimun UK license for that is an International C. I can upgrade my National A to an International C by completing six races in the UK, and that's what I have scheduled.

Beats me. Yes, I did a Speed World Challenge Touring race just with my FIA International B license. No, I have never raced OCONUS (outside the continental US).

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Here is a post that explains it better than I did:

Can I compete in a UK Championship if I have a non MSA (UK) licence?

Basically the Ma5da MX5 Championship is taking place in a National event. Eligible competitors will therefore need to have either an MSA licence or be a professional driver with a valid licence issued by the ASN of a member country of the European Union (this licence will have an EU flag on it).

Even though the competitor may have an International licence, he/she is not eligible to compete if the issuing ASN is not a member of the EU.

So what are the options?

1.The BRSCC can apply for what is called NEAFP for the event (if you are interested it stands for National Event with Authorised Foreign Participation). The competitor would then need to supply the BRSCC with a letter of authorisation from his/her licence issuing ASN allowing him to take part in that event. There are a couple of draw backs, namely it will cost circa £190 per event and also more importantly the competitor, although he/she would be allowed to compete and win an award on the day, they would NOT be allowed to score championship points.

2. The competitor could exchange their current licence for an MSA licence which would then mean that he would fall into our normal eligibility criteria.

3. The Competitor could exchange their current licence to one that is issued by any other member country of the European Union (but should ensure that it is endorsed with the EU flag)

Hope this helps? Kind regards

Jonathan Blake

Ma5da Racing

The whole NEAFP business to make a FIA license work in the UK was a hassle, and expensive per race. I am happy the MSA granted me their license. First race is Mallory on the 26th. First time on that track will be in qualifying. Principal goal: not to be "that guy." Secondary goal: to win.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:23 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who went the ACCUS/ASN route to getting a race license transferred outside the US.

In both the UK and in Germany the advice I'm getting is just to follow their procedures to get their license and not bother with the transfer.
Apply for an FIA license ...... valid every where except the US /SCCA

I see your post on the MSA, in the past you could transfer , pay there transfer and yrly licensing fees and go racing ...

Quick Reply: Getting a UK or non-US race license?