Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, emerg. cut-off dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009 | 09:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You can also run a interrupt wire to the fuel pump realy (low current side ). I had the current flowing through the switch that cooked the switch. that wasnt good, as it killed the car and I couldnt get it started unless I short circuited the interrupt. The quality of the kill switch connectors are pretty weak and they are so important!
Old 05-31-2009 | 10:38 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I presume that this all got sorted out. I have never heard of a racing kill switch circuit design that cut off ground before... but sounds like that has been identified as an opportunity for improvement.

I do note some comments on 6 pole switches and their ability to provide a path to ground (through a large supplied resistor) for a disconnected alternator. I have such a switch installed, and so wired. No issues. However, I have been told by more than one "ole timer" expert, that Porsche alternators do not typically need this extra protection. In fact, if you observe the kill switch set up on many vintage racing Porsches, you can note that many use the simple Bosch two pole switch. I have a friend with a racing 911 that has one on his car. No issues.
Old 06-01-2009 | 12:45 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Well I must admit that I knew nothing about wiring a cut-off switch before this weekend but thanks to everyone's advice I am now going to rewire it myself. Given my limited supplies at the track I left the ground wired through the switch and wired the coil through the secondary terminal. Not ideal but it got me through tech. The engine shut off and I hoped that the couple of tests while going through tech wasn't going to fry the new Bosch alternator that was installed last year. Just got back from the Glen and will attempt the rewire this week.

Thanks to everyone for offering their assistance in such a timely manner.

Quick Reply: HELP, emerg. cut-off dilemma