Sponsored by:

Monticello Motor Club Friend Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monticello Motor Club Friend Needed

I will be conducting interviews of Club Members that need another friend shortly! I can clean windows, change brake pads, flip tires and change the engine oil. I will choose in order of members that have a total of 5 guest passes available.

This track is a lot of fun!

We are just about finishing a 2 day PCA event here. The first run group out was very intimidating, 22 turns in 4.1 miles. The first day was funny and frustrating all at once. There were cars going off all over the place (the extra testosterone just could not stay on the track). I never have seen so many black flags during our run groups. Eventually everybody calmed down and we got to complete a full session.

Now today being the second day I am in the grove of the track and totally dig it. It has a lot of everything here. I don' think I can compare it to any other track as it has its own flavor. We are running the full course, not just the south course. The south course might be ok, but seems like those who did both like the full course by far! If you get the chance to get here, just do it! It is worth the extra $ you might spend. I could not afford a membership, but being here for a track event is very nice!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

He's good at helping load and unload trailers too!!

Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 PM
s997gt3
Racer

and the Picasso of photography too
Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a blast! Super fun track.

I was just looking at my traqmate data, and the driving line is only 3.4 miles long...
I thought it was supposed to be 4.1?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had so much fun as well, can't wait to go back!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Hopefully CVR will head back there! Though the track was very intimidating at first, I learned to love it! There was a little bit of everything there. The end of the long straight was really interesting, turn 17-18. I have to admit for some reason turns 1-2 took quite a bit of effort for me.

Who has some high top speeds to report for the end of the long straight?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Man am I beat - tired, sore, etc. Despite the short run groups, I had a real work out.

Parade laps on Wednesday showed it to be about 3.5 miles, not the 4.1 advertised. Your 3.4 via Traqmate is probably most accurate (vs. odometer on Wed.).

We're going back in August again for 2 days, full course. Once it's finalized, I'll report. Tony even said when we were all taken out behind the woodshed that he looks forward to having us return in August - so despite the "wild west" we had in Red/Black 2nd session, he was still happy to have us. There was just no reason for what happened there - one warm up lap, then some testosterone kicked in and some went all-out and ended up in the weeds. I felt like Han Solo in the debris field, trying to pick a way through the many turns that were strewn with rocks and gravel. Still can't figure out how the 90 degree turn 15 ended up with debris on it...

I was posting speeds in the 140s on the back straight. The killer is the 90 degree flat turn, so entry speed is very limited. Flat out from either 2nd or 3rd up to 5th was a little unsettling at the slight kink 2/3 up the straight. Another unsettling spot was 21, flat out was downright hairy there because of the off-camber. Tried various approaches and none felt great. But the car held, so I can't really complain. Track map suggested to brake before 20, but I didn't find the need. I was surprised at how fast we could take the straight between 5 and 6 - diving straight and then into the "cheese grater" switch back. Man, was the pavement disintegrating right under our cars. I came in early last session of day 2 because not only was I sliding as the pavement crumbled, but cars in front of me were spraying tiny bituminous chips.

The new car was bone stock with dealer provided alignment of about -1.1 degrees of camber. Understeered like crazy. OEM 19" Porsche N Rated "Faux" PSC tires were decent (and now shot - fronts are toast), but the R888s going on should be better. Will have Dan put on some GT3 control arms and get me to about -2.3 for a street / DE alignment. Felt great though - looking forward to The Glen in June.

The kink at the end of the long straight didn't bother me any - kind of found it interesting and keeps you on your toes. Ended up going from curb entering and over both apex curbs. Was very interesting when cresting that blind spot and I found a yellow GT3 sitting in the dirt right in front of me - Flick left, jump the curb, and away thinking "wow, bad place to park". What I didn't like about this sequence was the heel-toe rising up the hill before the kink. 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd (on the hill) was a real work-out. Man, you can brake very late there even at 150.

Saw lots of different theories on how to take 13 and 14. I was doing more of a modified "V" - pretty much entering / braking fairly straight, making a turn to the right, then powering through the apex of 14. Really liked that sequence coming out of the carousel and it was cool to watch cars right in front of me taking it 3 different ways. Also, entering the start of the Carousel sequence, into turn 9 was interesting - similar theory, pretty much straight and braking, then release and turn toward 10. That's the beauty of a new track - we're all hunting for our best way through it.

Didn't have my traqmate set up yet, but finally bothered to put my camera in for the last session. I only took 3 laps before coming in because my new car was getting trashed from all of the disintegrating pavement (top course was just paved 2 weeks ago - I see some concrete in this track's future). All were in traffic, but still had some fun laps. The camera says high 2:40s and low 2:50s for lap times. Same track length as Watkins Glen, but WAY slower overall thanks to the 3 tight corners that push you down to about 40 MPH.

My son and I also enjoyed the variety. Some very technical areas of the track. Can't get into a rhythm...
Attached Images     
Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

In my 944, I saw a max speed of 134 (via traqmate) and a best lap time of 2:48.

I overheard someone saying the track record is 2:14 in a formula Mazda.

If anyone has traqmate data to share (or if they want mine) let me know.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

4.1 miles represents the totally paved track, everthing included. The full course is 3.7 miles.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was posting speeds in the 140s on the back straight. The killer is the 90 degree flat turn, so entry speed is very limited. Flat out from either 2nd or 3rd up to 5th was a little unsettling at the slight kink 2/3 up the straight. Another unsettling spot was 21, flat out was downright hairy there because of the off-camber. Tried various approaches and none felt great. But the car held, so I can't really complain. Track map suggested to brake before 20, but I didn't find the need. I was surprised at how fast we could take the straight between 5 and 6 - diving straight and then into the "cheese grater" switch back. Man, was the pavement disintegrating right under our cars. I came in early last session of day 2 because not only was I sliding as the pavement crumbled, but cars in front of me were spraying tiny bituminous chips.
It was strongly suggested by Tony F, Chief Instructor at MMC, that a slight tap on the brakes at T20 to get some weight on the front, then back on throttle for T21 and hit the apex spot on.....he mentioned several times that it the SINGLE MOST DANGEROUS turn on the track, as they had two big "incidents" there already this year. I was taking T13 and T14 as a double apex, similar your "V" analogy, but making a single apex seemed to work as well. I too noticed significant degradication of the pavement at T7 as the second day progressed.

CVR will be back for the full course in August.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not dangerous- Challenging. Great track. We were privileged to be able to utilize the facility. 157mph

Last edited by Gofishracing; 05-23-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:46 PM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think "technical" was the exact word Tony used to describe turn 20-21

ds
Old 05-23-2009, 01:00 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Well as one would expect, new track/new setup it took me a bit to be comfortable on that straight away under full throttle through the kink, traffic didn't help either in getting the cleanest lap. By the 3rd session first day I was getting comfy and got into the 150's on the straight with early braking. I also posted a 2:48 which I was excited about. Slept on it all that night, and the next day I knew it like the back of my hand already so to speak, then was finally hitting 164 on that straight (more like 162-3 traqmate) and shaved it down to a 2:40-41 consistantly! But I wasn't e en worried about the straight as I wanted to master the other difficult parts, gear selection played a huge role in my gt2, going up a gear in some parts provided a more smooth approach and flow through without the blast of torque and power upsetting the balance!

Was good meeting the new faces as well as old buds, can't wait to get back there already!

Last edited by iLLM3; 05-23-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:10 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

BTW Ron, as I got more comfortable on that straight and took the curb to curb approach, flat out felt more planted then Steady on throttle or coasting.

You also should have done that uphill then quick left/right in 3rd and have not gone to second. 2 people who I told to do so picked up 3-4 seconds in there and coming out, it allows you to enter a bit faster and provides so much more balance through the quick left and right, the difference was unbelievable, they had c4s's and had plenty of power and throttle I. 3rd there, 2nd especially with a downshift coming to the top there messes up the whole flow! Try it next time
Old 05-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I stand corrected.....dangerous = technical and challenging in "Tony" speak....My car is geared differently than a C2S or a Turbo and I was taking the "corkscrew" at the end of the straight in 2nd gear, which is the fourth second gear turn on the track for me.

Quick Reply: Monticello Motor Club Friend Needed