why dont low hp cars get any respect ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ugh. Who here with a lower HP car has NOT experienced this? I like your entry into the off camber, by the way. Most folks go WAY too far to the right before turning in....
I have spent weekends trying to figure out how to stay away from the point and shoot brick wall. Go out in front and catch him at some point in the run or right behind him and force the issue early on before having to work with traffic. I found that the early harsh hound sets the tone and gets the initial sting for the other drover out of the way. After that passes tend to get easer. Watching point and shoots go sloppy from overdroving the corners with full mirrors is a game into itself.
Originally Posted by Chads996
As the saying goes...

"Any fool can drive a fast car fast. It's the driver that can take a slow car and make it fast. That's what is fun to watch."

C.
and at times it takes a fool to drive the slow car in the first place. Trust me on that one.

Originally Posted by Brian P
Ok, I'll be Mr. Unpopular for this... This is about 60% the other guy's fault and 40% your fault.

The 60% is that he gave you a pass signal and took off and did it a few times. The 40% is that you drove as if you had a lot of horsepower when you don't.

Maybe I take it for granted now that I'm racing, but you don't want to catch a guy in the middle of a turn. All you will do is destroy all of that momentum that you built up and limit yourself to his speed. Then, when you get to the straight, it's a HP race, and you already know that you are going to lose that race. Instead, leave a lot of room between you and him as you enter the turn so that you catch him as you come on the straight. With your vast speed difference, you should be able to pass him without difficultly.
Tailgating up his pipe is the only way you can get it across to some drivers that you are not back there over and over just for the view. If he has a good gap on you in the entry of the corner he will not think he has to give a pass after the corner when he is faster. He is not looking at you while in the corner so you need to be on/up his *** right at turn out when he checks 6. You are right in that you need time you closing to be dead on him at exit but gaps on entry give them an out. Yes it is poor form for racing and kills your advantage but DE is not racing and unfortunately passes are given not earned.

This is age old, pervasive and not likely to ever go away as it is human nature.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
I have spent weekends trying to figure out how to stay away from the point and shoot brick wall. Go out in front and catch him at some point in the run or right behind him and force the issue early on before having to work with traffic. I found that the early harsh hound sets the tone and gets the initial sting for the other drover out of the way. After that passes tend to get easer. Watching point and shoots go sloppy from overdroving the corners with full mirrors is a game into itself.

Indeed. We have gotten rid of most of these types in the Instructor groups in Texas...I say most... But we haven't been so lucky in our highest student run group....but it IS getting better.

I must admit I am slightly obnoxious after 4 or 5 corners of being behind asshattery....although on one occasion (with a student in my right seat) I have backed significantly off, because the behavior I observed ahead of me showed an inclination for the drover to go off very soon. And he did, in grand fashion, landing atop a tire wall.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Tailgating up his pipe is the only way you can get it across to some drivers that you are not back there over and over just for the view. If he has a good gap on you in the entry of the corner he will not think he has to give a pass after the corner when he is faster. He is not looking at you while in the corner so you need to be on/up his *** right at turn out when he checks 6. You are right in that you need time you closing to be dead on him at exit but gaps on entry give them an out. Yes it is poor form for racing and kills your advantage but DE is not racing and unfortunately passes are given not earned.
100% disagree. First off, the OP doesn't even try to get a run on the 951. Instead, the first pass attempt is when he comes through turn 11, and he catches the guy before he even gets to the apex. Note that the 951 actually does give a pass signal the moment he gets onto the front straight, but he takes off. He probably figures that nobody is that silly to catch someone in the turn unless he has monster HP. So... once he takes off, he probably realizes that the car behind him doesn't have a lot of HP, but what's he supposed to do? Turn on the hazards and put the car in park while he waits for the 944 to actually gain some speed?

Now, the OP should have realized that the 951 is actually checking his mirrors, so he'll get a pass signal as soon as they hit a straight. It's his job to conserve his momentum so that both cars can get a good run down the following straight.

Instead, the OP keeps catching the 951 either in the braking zone or well before the apex.

Better passing technique would have prevented all of this. I agree that this isn't racing, but you should still be learning out there, right? At no point in the video do I see any learning going on. In fact, even posting this video shows that no learning occurred.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 AM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian P,

100% disagree - some of us r constantly learning ! There can always be something to learn. This post was not intended to make fun of anyone. I hope u werent offended.

Yes i agree to let off more before a turn in order to gain more momentum for a pass on the straight. Different at the Glen b/c of its size. Easier to do at limerock.

I dont think this sort of thing should happen at an advanced de - anyone doing an advanced de should be beyond this. I think there is a problem when u give someone multiple pass signals and dont let the car pass ! Once u give a pass signal u are obligated to make sure the passing car gets safely around you unless the pass was waved off. At least thats what i was taught !

v-tach

Last edited by v-tach; 05-23-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by v-tach
I dont think this sort of thing should happen at an advanced de - anyone doing an advanced de should be beyond this. I think there is a problem when u give someone multiple pass signals and dont let the car pass ! Once u give a pass signal u are obligated to make sure the passing car gets safely around you unless the pass was waved off. At least thats what i was taught !

v-tach
Exactly right. I have always lectured to my advanced classrooms that passing is a 2 person activity; the one getting the signal, and the one giving it. Both are EQUALLY responsible to make sure a safe pass happens.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

100% disagree - some of us r constantly learning ! There is a whole lot to learn here . This post was not intended to make fun of anyone. I hope u werent offended.

Yes i agree to let off more before a turn in order to gain more momentum for a pass on the straight. Different at the Glen b/c of its size. Easier to do at limerock.

Not offended at all. In fact, I did this often before I started racing. I'd complain that some people had too much horsepower, and then complain about how those people were such inconsiderate drivers. Granted, my 250 HP Boxster S might as well be a cup car next to your 924S, but it is still pretty overmatched compared to most DE cars nowadays.

Unfortunately for my racing endeavors, DE really gave me some bad habits. I got used to getting on someone's rear bumper, and then I'd get a pass signal and they would lift to help me by. Once I got to racing, I found that I could get on someone's bumper, but I couldn't figure out how to get past that person. Meanwhile, I'd watch other people in my class pass us both with ease.

Finally, after enough pounding my head against a brick wall , I figured out how to leave room between me and the next car so that I could get a good run on them. As you said, this works better at Lime Rock, but the basic idea still applies at any track.

It appears that you have started racing recently, and if it hasn't happened yet, you are going to start catching people that have a faster car and you'll need to figure out how to get around that person. Rather than get frustrated that people at an advanced DE aren't letting you by, use the opportunity to figure out how to get the run on them so that you can make the pass even if they don't lift.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:00 AM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

short story - Funny how we sometimes go backwards in order to move forward. i started de'ing aprrox 5 yrs ago with a porsche 928 ( now gone ) and then a 996 (which i still have and is for sale ! ). Both fast and great cars. i was at the glen one day at an advanced de with the 928 . I wuz playing around with a prepped 924S but only to find out that he wuz playing with me - i got spanked ! i walked over to him after our session and gave him a hand shake. i told him he wuz awesome and asked if he had a turbo in that thing -- he replied, "no the motor is stock". i was dumb founded...and truly inspired - thus my purchase of a 924s !
cant begin to tell u how much fun im having and how much ive learned so far..

thanks
vito
p.s. hope to meet u all at the glen race and yes then i will be with my homeboys - a coral of 944's ... but never to forget my 911 buddies too !
Old 05-23-2009, 08:48 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A million times right;

Each person has a role in the pass, and it should be considered a collaborative effort. It is encumbent upon the passee to see that the passer gets by within the passing zone. They sometimes need to untie that Vic Elford string from the steering wheel and attach it to their wrist, however (when they signal, they should lift, for those who haven't read the book). If it takes them more than one straight to figure it out, they need some schooling.

For those too stoopid or indifferent, Brian is absolutely right. The art of the setup is one to practice for sure, and do take advantage of these opportunities to do so.

Last edited by RedlineMan; 05-23-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:08 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

since I know nothing ... you guys both passed those 911's - and it says "no pass" - what gives? why didn't you just pass him like you did to the 911? is everyone supposed to signal when they let someone pass? what was the signal he was giving you right as the video ended?

thx
Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 AM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Pass signals r used in a De to get around another vehicle. The last signal was a pit in signal.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Brian P,

100% disagree - some of us r constantly learning ! There can always be something to learn. This post was not intended to make fun of anyone. I hope u werent offended.

v-tach
"Once u give a pass signal u are obligated to make sure the passing car gets safely around you unless the pass was waved off. At least thats what i was taught ! " 100% +1!

Brian P, I was talking in general and have not looked at the video. After 10 years in a frigging 912 I have seen too much of that kind of stupid stuff as it is
Old 05-23-2009, 03:50 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's incumbent on the DE officials to speak up more than once about this. I wanted to have a conversation with a 944 turbo that refused to give me a pass and just rocketed away at the straights, but was told by the instructors not to. It's probably not practical to confront the other students in most cases. And some are truly oblivious and honestly seem to believe that since they shake me off their bumper on the next straight, I haven't earned a pass.

I've had more than one 4S guy out there thinking they are hot sh** because their high-HP, AWD, traction control, ABS is saving their ***. Only they think it's their driving skill that's great.

How I would love to put these people in my 3.2L, no-ABS, no traction control, RWD car and let them try that crap. On second thought, I don't want them near my car.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
.......Granted, my 250 HP Boxster S ......
Wow Brian...... and we are both running in the F class?........
Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

And Shannon;
You should see what it looks like from a 130 HP (on a good day) 944 or 924S. You just have to outdrive them.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Wow Brian...... and we are both running in the F class?........
You are running prepared, so you are going to theoretically have less power. I say theoretically, because it seems that most of the cars that are similar to yours easily pull away from me on the straights.

Quick Reply: why dont low hp cars get any respect ?