Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why dont low hp cars get any respect ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why dont low hp cars get any respect ?

this wuz taken at cups and sauce last week @ the glen..great event but some drivers need be a lil more courteous !
In this short video a 944 turbo decides to mash the throttle each time he gives me a pass signal ...
http://vimeo.com/4774992
v-tach
1988 924s spec/sp1/944 cup
Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 AM
DanR
Drifting

First off I thought the event was great however the first session in saucers was a little painful for passing. We had a train of about 10 cars at one stage which for the Glen should not happen. I put it down to being early in the season and people had forgot what their mirrors were for. To be honest I moved to cups after that and had no issues!!!

Last edited by DanR; 05-22-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:10 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

good point.. i'm an experienced driver but due to the hp difference i thought sauce would be a better group for me. next time to try cups !
p.s. i spoke kindly to the driver of the 944 turbo after this session and he was much more considerate next time out on the track !
vito
Old 05-22-2009, 12:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by v-tach
this wuz taken at cups and sauce last week @ the glen..great event but some drivers need be a lil more courteous !
In this short video a 944 turbo decides to mash the throttle each time he gives me a pass signal ...
v-tach

'Cuse the driver of higher hp has as much ego as hp and therefore thinks himself to be superior. Sad, but that sort of thing can happen. Good news is that it is less common in race group than in DE groups.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by v-tach
v-tach

Ugh. Who here with a lower HP car has NOT experienced this? I like your entry into the off camber, by the way. Most folks go WAY too far to the right before turning in....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 07-20-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
'Cuse the driver of higher hp has as much ego as hp and therefore thinks himself to be superior. Sad, but that sort of thing can happen..
Common problem.
Point and squirt is a common medical condition with inexperienced Turbo/high HP drivers.

Had a similar occurance at LRP once, session after session, same car.
A "kart nose to rear bumper" message brought a quick end to the issue.
Passing signals were never a problem after that.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

We have all seen both- high HP drivers with attitude and slower cars that don't watch their mirrors as much as one would like. Usually politely speaking to said offender will make for a better weekend and you get to meet another track addict. There is only the rare jackass out there that thinks he's the man and isn't open to a little constructive criticism and a handshake.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Good one VR, you have an appropriate visual for every situation.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

very true ! thats one of the reasons i started racing. good point about the ego's !
i think its a natural feeling to get a little hurt by a lower hp / less expensive car when passed on the track.
But important to turn this behavior into something positive. Instead of mashing the throttle, overdriving your car or buying a faster more expensive car --which ALL can lead to destruction by the way...
Learn what made that lower HP car faster than u. Follow his line, see where he brakes - go over and introduce yourself to that driver..i think more can be learned ! dont u think ??
v-tach
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 111 Posts

My first thought is that when you were given the point by, you should have moved over like you were attempting to make the pass. Maybe since you stayed right behind him he thought that you didn't want the pass.

I'm sure it's weird for the higher hp cars to "wait" for you to get by. They need to realize that they have to lift significantly even though we are flat out. He did recognize that you were faster than him, but didn't want to lift.

If I get behind someone like that, I will just pit to get a different track position. It's not a race, so who cares. Having a talk with him afterward was the right thing to do. No need to make a DE a high stress event.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Correct a De should not turn into something stressful ! This was an advanced De and dont think this sort of thing should happen. To PIT, yes a great option. How many times should u have to pit in an advanced de only to face this again when u go back out on the track ??
Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As the saying goes...

"Any fool can drive a fast car fast. It's the driver that can take a slow car and make it fast. That's what is fun to watch."

C.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Dude, you should just listened to me and moved to the cups group like Dan and I did.......

They probably should have paired the drivers by their lap times, not their HP...........
Oh......wait.......this was a DE........never mind.......
Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, I'll be Mr. Unpopular for this... This is about 60% the other guy's fault and 40% your fault.

The 60% is that he gave you a pass signal and took off and did it a few times. The 40% is that you drove as if you had a lot of horsepower when you don't.

Maybe I take it for granted now that I'm racing, but you don't want to catch a guy in the middle of a turn. All you will do is destroy all of that momentum that you built up and limit yourself to his speed. Then, when you get to the straight, it's a HP race, and you already know that you are going to lose that race. Instead, leave a lot of room between you and him as you enter the turn so that you catch him as you come on the straight. With your vast speed difference, you should be able to pass him without difficultly.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
M758
Race Director

If it is a race you just pass the guy in corner and drive away. Case closed. It is only in DE were you need a point by does the worst of this come up. It can happen in race group too, but very rare.

Quick Reply: why dont low hp cars get any respect ?