Mid-Corner corrections.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
I have had the pleasure of riding with 2 former F1 drivers and both had insanely smooth transitions from the seat of my pants in the right chair.
I hate you.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think for most of us very average club racing types in our relatively low hp cars that don't spend a lot of time at the limit if you are correcting mid corner and at exit with the wheel and not breaking track records something is not quite right. If I'm making corrections, it's either because I'm too hot at entry and I'm correcting with the wheel prior to the apex or I've got understeer at entry and I'm correcting with the throttle. If I'm correcting mid corner to post apex with all 170hp it's because I've gone from an understeer to oversteer condition because I didn't do anything to correct the understeer prior to the apex - meaning I'm still just flat footed like the dope I am.

Want to see what correcting from being at/over the limit looks like? Watch any Leh Keen video.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
That camp, IMO, is dead wrong. What you should be striving for is smooth output. That is, the car is balanced, and a passenger should feel smooth transitions. I have had the pleasure of riding with 2 former F1 drivers and both had insanely smooth transitions from the seat of my pants in the right chair.

You achieve smooth outputs by making appropriate corrections when at the limit. Neither F1 driver had a steady set of the steering wheel or constant throttle - they were continually making adjustments.

People who say that steering and throttle inputs need to be smooth (no change after your set) are not at the limit. That is my opinion, but supported by a lot of pro drivers I have worked with over the years.
+1

That's exactly how I "see" it.

The car from outside (and like in Mark's example, inside seat of pants feel) is smooth but the steering & throttle inputs aren't. And of course when you're really on the limit, every now and then you step over it slightly, I don't care who you are, which shows as an under or oversteer.

One good way to see this, even though it's a different from, is rally driving. When you watch a car slide through a corner in a smooooth, controlled, constant slide through a corner, you can see the driver (or by watching just front wheels) changing the direction of the steering some times from almost one full lock to the other and of course not only change throttle input but also apply brake.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
. with all 170hp .
LMAO... Surely you meant 270 Sean!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think for most of us very average club racing types in our relatively low hp cars that don't spend a lot of time at the limit if you are correcting mid corner and at exit with the wheel and not breaking track records something is not quite right. If I'm making corrections, it's either because I'm too hot at entry and I'm correcting with the wheel prior to the apex or I've got understeer at entry and I'm correcting with the throttle. ..
There is something correct here given the context. Low hp, good grip, and corner exit.

At corner entry you will need to be making corrections. These need to be small a subtle and even then you need to be mindful going too far with these over the limit. On my home track I found myself always making a correcting on turn in. End result was that I was slow going in that corner. Once I make some balance changes the car got much easier to drive and faster.

There is another spot on that track which is normally flatout. However when the tire cycle out the car goes to oversteer and I constant correcting the back end. These correction scrub speed or in the worst cause me to not stay flat. Usally when that happens I ditch the tires since a fresh set cures that problem right away.

So my point is that evidence of corrections does always not mean you are fast. It depends where and what the impact on lap times is. A good pro-driver knows were to be dancing on the limit to correct a car and where that sort of thing is a result of trying to drive around a problem. This is especially ture for corner exit.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not including the supercharger hp
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not including the supercharger hp
That's OK, none of the other D guys do either.......

See you next week.....

Quick Reply: Mid-Corner corrections.....