RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Hi Rick - any videos you can post?
Hi Bobby
Good to see you last week.
I'll see if there is anything worth posting. The Aiptek takes a real good picture; I was looking at the video on my hi-def laptop screen (which is a beauty) and it looked way better than my Sony 8mm videos.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Tim L
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick

Aw come on

So what is the ratio hours/card size??

Tim Lynn
Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tim L
Rick

Aw come on

So what is the ratio hours/card size??

Tim Lynn
I think its 5 hours for the 16gb card.
Thanks for the invite; its nice to be wanted (or, am I just another slow victim?)
Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
The problem with a power source hardwired to the car is that you could lose your recording if you shut the car off before properly stopping the recording, or you have some electrical issue.
As long as you have the battery in the camera, this should never be a problem. The camera will just keep on recording.

What is a problem is that I've been known to repeatedly make the mistake of leaving the camera on while the car sits in the paddock, then going out to grid and turning the camera off when I think I'm turning it on. I find it difficult to tell if it's recording once I'm HANS and harnessed in. I'd love to have an indicator light on my dash telling me that I'm recording.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And let's not forget that annoying macro view (Close up) switch. I've ruined two track days worth of video by accidentally moving that switch to close up view. Finally got smart and put a few drops of super glue on the switch to hold it in place.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TR6
And let's not forget that annoying macro view (Close up) switch. I've ruined two track days worth of video by accidentally moving that switch to close up view. Finally got smart and put a few drops of super glue on the switch to hold it in place.
Its a tribute to the Aiptek that we have to use super glue to correct this design flaw.
Although I doubt they were thinking of track use when they designed it.
It sure takes nice videos, though.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Although I doubt they were thinking of track use when they designed it.
Got that right. We are performing unnatural acts with what was designed as a happy family hand-held grin grabber. It seem reidiculous to buy the new A-HD GVS model just to get the remote mic jack!! The extra features like gyro stabilization and better still pic resolution are completely useless for our purposes.

That said, it produces great results. http://www.vimeo.com/3504682

Last edited by APKhaos; 05-20-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by TR6
That happened to me too. I thought the damn thing was broken until I realized that it was focusing on the windshield. I used a drop of hot glue to fix it... that way it's easy to undo if I ever want to use macro mode for something.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim L
What’s up with this double posting?
I don't see any double posts..

Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Weston
I used a drop of hot glue to fix it... that way it's easy to undo if I ever want to use macro mode for something.
I can't think of anything that the macro focus function would be useful for unless you were doing a nature documentary on the life of an ant colony or something like that...
Old 05-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I don't use my Aiptek on track, but I have a question.

Has anyone ever diagnosed the known defect where the camera WILL NOT TURN ON. It can be fixed (sometimes) by pulling out the battery and putting it back in. But in most cases you can't turn it on just by pressing the power button.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Greg,
This seems to be a problem with some units. The battery moves around enough to become disconnected from the contacts. I believe a little carboard packing to hold the battery snug behind the compartment cover is the answer. Crude but effective.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
TR6
Drifting

I sliced up a business card and stuffed it in there to hold the battery tight. Haven't had a problem with it since then.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I don't use my Aiptek on track, but I have a question.

Has anyone ever diagnosed the known defect where the camera WILL NOT TURN ON. It can be fixed (sometimes) by pulling out the battery and putting it back in. But in most cases you can't turn it on just by pressing the power button.
I've only had that happen once in the year I've been using this camera, and it was last weekend... The damn thing refused to power up and I didn't have time to mess with it. It caused me to miss capturing what would have been an amazing clip of a crazy spin directly in front of me and several other cars, which I missed wrecking into by just inches.

Afterward, I pulled the camera out of the car and after a little messing with it, it powered up and had a full battery and hasn't given me any problems since then.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Got that right. We are performing unnatural acts with what was designed as a happy family hand-held grin grabber. It seem reidiculous to buy the new A-HD GVS model just to get the remote mic jack!! The extra features like gyro stabilization and better still pic resolution are completely useless for our purposes.

That said, it produces great results. http://www.vimeo.com/3504682

What kind of mic was used with that?

Quick Reply: What the Aiptek Camera really needs