Sponsored by:

infant noise protection options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:48 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 467 Posts
Question infant noise protection options?

Hi Guys - my 6 month old is coming to the races next weekend for the first time. Have any of you found ear protection that works well? I thought this might be the forum to check!

Thanks!!

Last edited by garrett376; 01-09-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I cannot really vouch for any solution, since I'm not "familiar" with the situation.

Though I see these all the time on small children and had a co-drivers wife & kid standing in the pits and the kid was sleeping heavily with all the noise around. But then, I also sleep heavily in the pits from time to time..

From site: Peltor KID
-----------
* Children’s hearing is extremely sensitive and they have very little protection against harmful noise.

*Peltor Kid hearing protectors effectively attenuate harmful noises without shutting out other ambient sounds.

* The hearing protector is easy to wear, with a low profile and no potruding parts that can catch on things.

* The wide, comfortable sealing rings are filled with a unique combination of fluid and foam, which gives optimum sealing and low contact pressure, ensuring the best possible comfort even during long periods of use.

* The Peltor Kid is CE-approved and fits children up to age 7. The Peltor Kid comes in two characteristic colours – neon pink and neon green – for high visibility and fun.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

WHAT? No Hans??

I put Bose noise-cancelling headphones on my son at a Monster truck-rally and at a NASCAR race (hey! it was for him, not me ) and he seemed to do fine.

Marc
Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Regular hearing protection ( the big muff style) will work fine.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...assic07111.jpg
Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used over the ear muffs for the kids when I went to BIR for the NHRA weekend. (No flaming, it was actually interesting) They work very well for very loud noises.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
WHAT? No Hans??

I put Bose noise-cancelling headphones on my son at a Monster truck-rally and at a NASCAR race (hey! it was for him, not me ) and he seemed to do fine.

Marc
Tssss.... yeah right..
Old 05-10-2009, 03:27 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Regular hearing protection ( the big muff style) will work fine.
If you can keep them on that is. Some kids will some won't.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I cut the standard foam ear plugs into little triangles so that they could fit in the little ear opening . as they expand they seal up the ear canal. the hard part is just getting them to stay in. once they expand, they are working.

mk
Old 05-10-2009, 05:01 PM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just use a pacifier to reduce all the noise. Just my $.02.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There are the silocone swimming ear plugs that you can find at any drugstore (Walgreens, RiteAid, etc.). I wouldn't trust the foam ones in a kids ear as half the time I put them in and they don't seal that well for me.

The Peltor Kids ones are really too small for a 6 month old and will easily get knocked off by the kid. Only now at 2.5 is my kid really the right size for those and is more often than not willing to keep them on.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:55 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

G:
Over the ear style but equally important be vigilant to ensure they stay on. My children used to pull everything off. I am hopeful that has stopped as SHE is heading to high school.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:18 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
G:
Over the ear style but equally important be vigilant to ensure they stay on. My children used to pull everything off. I am hopeful that has stopped as SHE is heading to high school.
good one
Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 467 Posts

Thanks for the great info everyone!

And VERBOTN125 that was a great comment!! Reminds me of why I'm glad our baby is a boy!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I've used the Peltor Juniors (same as the "kids", but in less obnoxious colors...mine are black) on my son pretty successfully. He wore them as a 3-4 month old without any problems when we went to see friends play live music and even younger at Wake Forest football games (which also explains the need for them to be black so that his muffs match the school colors ). Since then, at 8 months old, they are a bit harder to keep on when at the track. They are "too big" looking, but they seem to do the job and don't seem uncomfortable to him.

Ear plugs seem like a huge no-no to me. They would end up in my son's mouth. Seems like a choking hazard.

These folks were helpful when I was ordering mine and there's a picture of a 6 month old wearing them to give you an idea of how big they are:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/ejuearmu.html
Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by garrett376
And VERBOTN125 that was a great comment!! Reminds me of why I'm glad our baby is a boy!
On the other hand, I'm hoping for a girl at some point. She'll be MUCH easier to find sponsorships for in karting and racing.

Quick Reply: infant noise protection options?