Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HCP & CNY DE at Watkins Glen July 22 and 23 EXCITING NEW FEATURES ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

For you, Geoffrey, we'll make a special exception.

We've advertised this event as the first 40 instructors to register drive for free (see post #1). We still have a few more spots, and as pointed out, could use just a few more.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:27 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Wow, a female only run group. Should I bring my SSM? Will you be checking for licenses and nomex sox? I have been to NNJR's lady's day, in my 1st year of driving, and I never endured such an insulting experience. No sign-offs, limited speed, limited passing, and coddling beyond belief.

MNY actually does it right by having a 'novice day' within a DE (at a track close to the region) a couple of times a year. It has changed slightly over the years but the gist is that they add a novice group for 2 or 3 driving sessions and several classroom sessions. For the first driving session (which may be short) the novice is the passenger and the instructor can leisurely talk about (and demonstrate on) the track, the line, flaggers, etc. instead of having to talk really fast for 2 laps hoping that the 1st time DE participant can absorb at least some of it. For the later run groups the novices drive as a group so there are no experienced drivers harassing them. And they charge the novice a fraction of the usual fee (7 years ago it was $50). And all you need is proper attire, a teched vehicle and a helmet.

Yeah, clearly this is not Marc...
Old 07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhm993
Wow, a female only run group. Should I bring my SSM? Will you be checking for licenses and nomex sox? I have been to NNJR's lady's day, in my 1st year of driving, and I never endured such an insulting experience. No sign-offs, limited speed, limited passing, and coddling beyond belief.

MNY actually does it right by having a 'novice day' within a DE (at a track close to the region) a couple of times a year. It has changed slightly over the years but the gist is that they add a novice group for 2 or 3 driving sessions and several classroom sessions. For the first driving session (which may be short) the novice is the passenger and the instructor can leisurely talk about (and demonstrate on) the track, the line, flaggers, etc. instead of having to talk really fast for 2 laps hoping that the 1st time DE participant can absorb at least some of it. For the later run groups the novices drive as a group so there are no experienced drivers harassing them. And they charge the novice a fraction of the usual fee (7 years ago it was $50). And all you need is proper attire, a teched vehicle and a helmet.

Yeah, clearly this is not Marc...
Hi;

Quite obviously, not every woman has to drive in this group, and no driver should be forced to drive in a manner so limiting if they have the skills to proceed beyond that. The idea is to cater to people that do not believe they have the skills or temperment to drive with the "other nuts" but still want to do it regardless of their misgivings. For those that do not belong in this special female run group - i.e. those that do not need any "special handling" - we will be glad to put them wherever they fit best. This group is expressly for ladies who are unsure, apprehensive, intimidated, or otherwise reticent as to driving on a track, but still want to give it a go.

All of you guys that fit that description just grab a skirt and come on out and join the gals!! Geoffrey... you in? Ooooops... I'm a chief. I'm probably supposed to be more PC than that. Oh well...
Old 07-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Hello Mindy, I don't know what SSM is, but I'm sorry you had a bad experience at an NNJR Ladies Day.

We felt, for our event, that it would be best to incorporate a few ideas.

We will be starting all Green students off with a 15 minute introductory touring session, just like you're saying. This will allow novices to ride with an instructor at a much reduced speed (without helmets) for easy communication. Following this touring session, the Green men will have one run session to themselves, and then the Green women will have a run session to themselves.

This breaks the Green group down into 2 smaller groups which will reduce trains and cars clumping together as first-timers "get their feet wet".

All of the following Green run groups will be combined with both the male and female drivers.

Quick Reply: HCP & CNY DE at Watkins Glen July 22 and 23 EXCITING NEW FEATURES ADDED