Sponsored by:

MID OHIO SMACK DOWN !! Whose a commin ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
Thanks, Chris M, for posting this incar clip.

Me: White 911
Chipster: Grey 944 w/ racing stripes
Situation: Attempting to pass lapped car on the outside while Bill Frame (black/red 993) passed on the inside at T7. Unfortunately, the slower car didn't see me and moved left as I reached his bumper. Note the fresh rain drops on Chris's windshield.

(you may want to click on the playback to go to YouTube and then select the full screen version for a better view)

My car was completely unscathed (unlike my shorts) and everyone got through clean. Phew!
I felt bad that I couldn't make it this year, and had to work. Maybe it was a good thing.

Joe - you are one hell of a driver, both going forwards and backwards.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Ben. I think luck may have been on my side, as well.

Originally Posted by aeshultz
So what's with going outside after the kink? You guys must have exceeding big units. Bad things happen when you try it.
I'm still wondering if it was such a bad idea. During the enduro, another racer (Craig Smid) put the same move on me and I almost moved left. But I checked my side mirror, stayed put and even stuck my hand out to let him know it was cool. Sure, it was busy and I had another car on the inside but I still managed to keep tabs on everyone and make room.

Utlimately, it's the overtaking driver's job to make the pass safely but situational awareness is everyone's responbility, isn't it?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The comment is only on the basis of having seen a lot of races there, and participated in a few. It's a place where you see a lot of offs. It's also the place where an exact same move put another guy's car into the wall later that day. Just saying.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, there's no question that it's a relatively high-risk move, Alan. And it's something a few of us learned the hard way. No offense, taken.

I was just wondering what's a reasonable expectation of those being passed?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Team944S2
Chris & Astroman, it was good to meet you in the paddock. Astroman, nice start to the race in the enduro. Great job by the region making it a fun weekend.
Good to meet you too Chris. If I can get my car together I will see you at Putnam.

Quick Reply: MID OHIO SMACK DOWN !! Whose a commin ?