Sponsored by:

ABS Failure on the track - root cause

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Well, it should and will do more than just protecting crappy drivers... but I do completely agree, we should all be more than capable of driving without it. Hell, I work on the systems, and have no ABS in either my street or race cars! 'Course, they kinda predate it...
Old 05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
No, it was out all weekend. I could reset the ABS and PSM warnings by turning the car off and back on, but the moment I braked hard again, the warning lights would come back on, and ABS would not engage.

Just to clarify the role of the brake light... the fuse protects the entire brake light wiring harness, and technically, it's the fuse that gets blown. Agreed, it sounds weird to simplify it down to the "light".

I'd be interested in other theories for simultaneous ABS failure, a busted bulb socket, and two blown fuses. And if the cost of the replacement wiring harness is considered, that alone should qualify it as a part of a sophisticated, modern ABS system.
The system is constantly monitoring the status of all the signals for plausibility, essentially checking that everything its seeing makes sense. Therefore, as soon as you would brake hard the system sees brake pressure but no brake light. At this point its not really sure whats going on and where the fault is actually occurring, so for SAFETY it shuts down the system. It won't always shut the system down that only depends on the potential failure mode and the corresponding consequences. Ultimately, if it doesn't know what happening it would be safer to shut the system down.

As it pertains to racing and using a modified street car there will always be cases where it still functions properly and those where it does not. The modifications can be such a large departure than the design specification that functionality is completely useless. Considering the current options the safest measure is to disable it for track use and rely on the driver to make the correct inputs.....but this could potentially change in the near future. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have racing ABS and love it and probably won't own another race car without it.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have raced with and w/o ABS in various classes and venues. I will always take ABS over non-ABS. I've even driven a couple of the earliest variant Porsche racing ABS systems and have been able to "over brake" or "go through the ABS" enough to cause it to kick the circuit breaker. Those versions all defaulted to standard braking, although it was little disconcerting to realize in the middle of threshold braking for the old hairpin at Sebring that the ABS was "off."

Quick Reply: ABS Failure on the track - root cause