Paint removal shops

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Paint removal shops

One of the best things about the Rennlist is the collective wisdom and the way we talk openly about our experiences.

Sure, sometimes a topic takes a peculiar turn. But, most of the time we all learn together.

I want to talk about a terrible mistake in hopes that no one will repeat this.

Several years ago I was fortunate to acquire a factory 968 Turbo S tub. No VIN, really good condition, and a perfect starting point for a race car. Best choice would certainly have been to strip the tub, weld in a cage and other things, then have the tub powdercoated. But, I was doing the work myself in my garage--hence the sig line "in progress." So, wherever I needed to weld I would strip the primer and zinc and go at it.

It is my experience that projects like this take on a life of their own, and always take longer than you think. I have seen two children graduate college, get married and have their first babies, and we moved from Florida to Alabama. Needless to say the car didn't get work every day. I was envious of the progress Geoffrey made with his car.

In February, the welding appeared complete, and I made arrangements to have the tub stripped the rest of the way in preparation for powdercoating.

I tried to balance the drive and the location for stripping with the location of my son and my good friend who powdercoats cars in Orange Park Florida (Powdertech Plus). I chose a stripper in Wauchula, Florida, instead of Allentown, PA. You'd think I would have given preference to a shop in Allentown on Allen St, but I wasn't thinking that way.

You should never take your car to Wauchula, Florida, where the "Auto Restoration Depot" is located.

I dropped the car off in late February, and went to pick it up a couple of weeks ago. There wasn't a lot of "good" communication, and I got the clear message that calling to check on the progress wasn't needed or wanted. I was told there was some difficulty stripping the "paint" but that was taken care of.

When I picked up the tub, the bottom of the pan and other areas still had a lot of undercoating on them. Seam sealer was still everywhere. I remember thinking, boy we've still go a lot to do before we powdercoat. The "paint" issue had been solved by taking a coarse sanding disc to nearly the entire outer body: so I now must use traditional body work on these panels, not powder. And then I saw the dent in the driver side. And even more damage to the rear panel where the glass hatch meets the body because the car was being moved by putting forklift extensions through the windshield area and levering the car on that area. All the weight of the car on that one spot.

I must admit, at that point I really became aware of my mistake. And the shop was totally unapologetic, even saying the damage was there when they received it. I took my car and paid their bill, and knew then that I would never see them make it right.

Let me repeat, NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO WAUCHULA. I'll have more time and more money and more driving, but I'll have the damage fixed, the tub restripped in Allentown, and then I'll get the tub powdercoated.

A post like this like this is sort of useless without pictures. So, I'm working on setting up the right sized images for your viewing: look for these in a day or two.

One thing I know: if a vendor of any kind isn't willing to make things right, the best choice is to leave them and go elsewhere. And then, make sure my experience is available to those who might use that vendor. That's my view, YMMV.

Last edited by Julian Allen; 04-12-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: to avoid obsfucation
Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

That sucks,you should list all details of the shop and sue them.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perhaps, but that means more trips to Wauchula and hoping that a judge would feel like I do about the car. Remember, there are lots of people out there who don't feel passion about their cars.

You can google Wauchula Florida and auto restoration--you'll find them.

I think it's better that I show my mistake and move on. I hope someone else will learn from my error.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I used the stripper in Allentown and everything worked out fine. They did lift the car with a forklift thorough the side door (before the cage was put in). No damage.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Julian. Sorry to hear about your encounter ... but appreciate the heads up.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What a pain. What were they using to "strip it"? I just finished a rotisserie restoration of a 1970 Trans Am. I took it to a local company that first baked it (removes paint, sealers and fillers), then acid dip to remove any existing oxidation, then dip in e-coat for a body in black finish (inside and out). It looked like it came off the assembly line.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:04 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VR was hoping this thread had pictures including dancing poles.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
VR was hoping this thread had pictures including dancing poles.
I was hoping that too.

Julian,

Was this the tub I sold back in maybe 2002?

Chris Cervelli
Spline Technologies
Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
I was hoping that too.

Werd. I am gonna sue Julian for misrepresentation.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-04-2009, 04:54 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It got my curiousity too based on the thread title. Talk about being disappointed.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
It got my curiousity too based on the thread title. Talk about being disappointed.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, that would be the teaser, wouldn't it?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
What a pain. What were they using to "strip it"? I just finished a rotisserie restoration of a 1970 Trans Am. I took it to a local company that first baked it (removes paint, sealers and fillers), then acid dip to remove any existing oxidation, then dip in e-coat for a body in black finish (inside and out). It looked like it came off the assembly line.
Just out of curiosity what does a process like this run if you don't mind?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:33 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Just out of curiosity what does a process like this run if you don't mind?
Well, bring lot's of singles cause twenties don't go to far.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I cut a $2700 check to learn my lesson well.

I believe I will pay less than half that to correct the incomplete stripping (boy let's see where that goes), and I don't know that I'm ready to know how much the extra body work will cost me.

That's why I don't want any of you to repeat my error.

Quick Reply: Paint removal shops