Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy for a cool shirt system.....(edited)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doc,

Yes, it will keep you more comfortable. So you should go quicker if everything else is equal!

I run one in the Cup Car and I highly recommend it. It gets hot in any race car, and the cool shirt will cool your core, which of course will make you more comfortable and reduce fatigue. This in turn will keep you more alert for a longer period of time. Hence you are less susceptible to brain fade (at least thats the idea). So you should go faster. Seems logical enough!

One guy in our paddock has full on air conditioning pumping through his helmet! Whatever it takes to keep you cool and more alert is good!

JL

PS: Great job this weekend, You did great!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
There are two different manufacturers of a cool shirt. One is "Cool Shirt" and the other is F.A.S.T. I have a F.A.S.T. According to a F.A.S.T. rep, it works better than a "Cool Shirt" because of how the cool water is modulated through the shirt.

The F.A,S.T.,unlike the "Cool Shirt," works by intermittently pumping cold water through the shirt. The user controls the intervals through a switch: either nearly always on or up to every 5 or 10 mintues. By increasing the time between flows, the ice is retained longer.

I have no idea if a F.A.S.T. is better than a "Cool Shirt" or if a "Cool Shirt" has the same type of switch.

But it may be worth looking into.
I'm sure the F.A.S.T. rep isn't biased....

I have the "Cool Shirt" and it has a dial that lets you control how fast water is pumped through. Turn it all the way, and it's basically continuous.

By the way, the best way to fill the ice chest is to use the largest solid block of ice that you can fit into it as a solid block lasts much longer than cubed ice. If you can't do that, then fill the chest up with as much cubed ice as you can and then add the water after that. Don't do water first, and then add the ice afterwards.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know how the shirt sizes run compared to "regular" T shirts? I have a dilemma even with regular t shirts as sometimes an XL is way too big for me and in other brands it is ok. Likewise, I've bought Large t shirts that fit well and some others are too tight. Guess the bottom line is that I need to cut back on the beer and mexican food.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the "Cool Shirt" for about a year, with great results.

The shirts are true to size IMO. My has been washed several times and holds up well.

If you have space (mine is in the front compartment) get the 24 quart cooler box. You will need the 12' hoses to get into the interior on a 911.

I just have an on-off switch, thinking the dial temp control was not worth $130 extra.

Use as little water as possible (you need enough for the pump to pick up) at the start of the day, and block ice is better, but cubes work well as well. I add a little rubbing alcohol to the box to prevent mold issues with the water in the tubes when not in use.

Keeping the core body cool really does make you a lot more confortable on a hot day.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:33 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have my cool shirt system set up with a toggle switch so I can turn it on and off, and I do this to preserve the ice. Still, once it runs out, it's awful. I'll admit that part of the problem is that I have the smaller ice chest. Further, I've also purchased the FAST shirt, but the coupling is not the same and it has to be filed a bit to fit, so I've not tried that shirt yet.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Gentlemen, I was offered a lightly used Cool Shirt system at a price I couldn't pass up.

There are 4 of you interested:
DanR, Juan Lopez, Chrisp ,and jim_l

One of you should take charge and get it done.

Good luck....
Old 04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the FAST system with the smallish tank and I love it. I have a manual on/off switch. I need to cycle it off during enduros or it could get warm. But it will last longer than any sprint race.

Get a shirt on the small side as you don't want it loose.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Accelerator
Racer

I had a Cool Shirt custom made bc the first one I bought had diminished flow when I put on HANS and cinched down really tight. They designed one with altered pathways for the tubing and everything is fine now.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Large size Cool shirt in blue that I only wore once. It was a little tighter than I liked.
It is the newer model where the lines don't go over your shoulder and get pinched by your belts or HANS.

$40 shipped to your door. PM me if interested.

I'd be interested in a group buy also (for a larger size)

Last edited by smlporsche; 04-28-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

I am looking for a Cool Suit as well. Full system. IF anyone else out there has one that they would like to part with. I am interested!
Thanks.
Hunter
Old 04-28-2009, 07:19 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

OK, since my wife wants to buy me the Cool System for an early Father's Day gift.......

I have decided to get a new one.

I have also secured a vendor that will offer 15% off for a group buy.

Let me know if you are interested ASAP as this will expire in the next couple of days.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bauerjab
There are two different manufacturers of a cool shirt. One is "Cool Shirt" and the other is F.A.S.T. I have a F.A.S.T. According to a F.A.S.T. rep, it works better than a "Cool Shirt" because of how the cool water is modulated through the shirt.

The F.A,S.T.,unlike the "Cool Shirt," works by intermittently pumping cold water through the shirt. The user controls the intervals through a switch: either nearly always on or up to every 5 or 10 mintues. By increasing the time between flows, the ice is retained longer.

I have no idea if a F.A.S.T. is better than a "Cool Shirt" or if a "Cool Shirt" has the same type of switch.

But it may be worth looking into.
I can attest this as I have had both and the intermittent flow seems to save my ice quite a bit. I could melt my cooler down in one sprint race and now with my new system and same size small cooler I can make it last all morning or longer depending on outside temps.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Group buy closing soon, let me know if interested......
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Team944S2
Instructor

I have had both systems. The Cool Shirt system leaked. I now have the FAST system and have had no problem with it. It definitely lasts for the 90 minute enduros. FAST also has the shirts that are HANS friendly without the piping over the shoulders, so they don't get pinched. They also have systems that can add a fresh cool air blower directly to the helmet. Contact the owner, Jill Swanson and she might be able to enable a group buy, (847) 255.9200. Tell her Chris sent ya!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I have a Large size Cool shirt in blue that I only wore once. It was a little tighter than I liked.
It is the newer model where the lines don't go over your shoulder and get pinched by your belts or HANS.

$40 shipped to your door. PM me if interested.

I'd be interested in a group buy also (for a larger size)
The miata I'm running this summer has a Cool-Shirt system, but I have to buy my own shirt if I want to use it. Can you plug a FAST shirt into the Cool-shirt system?

Quick Reply: Group buy for a cool shirt system.....(edited)