Sponsored by:

Looking for suggestions on thermal hose sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:24 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for suggestions on thermal hose sleeve

After relocating my coolant expansion tank, one of the rubber coolant hoses lies closer to the engine than I would like. It will probably be ok and several mechanics have assured me that it will be. However, one of them mentioned an orange sleeve product that would help. He said that it was orange, couldn't remember the name, and thought that BSR products carried it. I've had no luck tracking it down .... any ideas what it is or where I could find it? (BSR wasn't any help.)
Old 04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.cdoc.com/detail.asp?id=18361&name=
Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ BSR has to have it or something similar.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

BRITS also carries fire sleeve. There is another type that is silver sleeve that works well, as well.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Bill962
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The orange fire sleeve works well. There is also a silver, reflective coated sleeve which is available. In addition, there is a DEI Cool Tube which seems good. All are available from www.HRPworld.com I've used the orange sleeve and silver sleeve effectively. Here are all their heat protection products:

http://www.hrpworld.com/HeatProtecti...ction=category

You can also paint the hose with a Xylene based heat reflective paint. It's very good. I'v used it on insides of carbon fibre body panels which are exposed to high heat. The ALMS corvette team has used it on their spark plug wires, as did some IMSA GTP teams on the insides of the engine covers. It's called "LO/MIT-1 Radiant Barrier Coating". It adheres to rubber, carbon fibre, fiberglass, metal, anything. It is very reflective for both heat and light. It's diffuse reflectivity is similar to polished aluminum. It is better for something with "nooks and crannies" when compared with protective sleeves. It's available from Solar Energy Corporation in Princeton, NJ.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.cdoc.com/detail.asp?id=18361&name=
The hose is V-shaped and that doesn't look very flexible but can't be sure from a picture

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
^^^ BSR has to have it or something similar.
They probably do but became impatient with my lack of appropriate technical terms to describe what I wanted. "Sleeve to protect rubber hose from high heat." They've always good so I figure it was just a fluke on the phone, no big deal but then hoped someone here might have the answer too.

Originally Posted by Bill962
The orange fire sleeve works well. There is also a silver, reflective coated sleeve which is available. In addition, there is a DEI Cool Tube which seems good. All are available from www.HRPworld.com I've used the orange sleeve and silver sleeve effectively. Here are all their heat protection products:

http://www.hrpworld.com/HeatProtecti...ction=category

You can also paint the hose with a Xylene based heat reflective paint. It's very good. I'v used it on insides of carbon fibre body panels which are exposed to high heat. The ALMS corvette team has used it on their spark plug wires, as did some IMSA GTP teams on the insides of the engine covers. It's called "LO/MIT-1 Radiant Barrier Coating". It adheres to rubber, carbon fibre, fiberglass, metal, anything. It is very reflective for both heat and light. It's diffuse reflectivity is similar to polished aluminum. It is better for something with "nooks and crannies" when compared with protective sleeves. It's available from Solar Energy Corporation in Princeton, NJ.

Good luck!
Thank you very much, one of those DEI sleeves should fit the bill - they look flexible with good properties. The paint sounds really interesting but seems to me that it would be less effective than a sleeve protecting a hose in high ambient heat. However, if smart people like those are using it, it must more than do the job.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Bill962
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LO/MIT-1 Radiant Barrier Coating (Xylene based paint) is good for dealing with radiant heat issues. It basically does the same thing as the protective foil (gold or silver) and the silver reflective sleeves. I seem to recall it is about $50 per gallon. However, 1 gallon will last for 179 years of race car prep at least. The orange, fiberglass based sleeve also has an insulating property to it. So, for air conductive heat problems you may need that property. It does not help prevent radiant heat issues as well as the reflective coatings (foil, sleeve, paint). Usually for hoses near an engine it is radiant heat soak which is the issue though since there is a lot of air flow around the motor.

Anyway, it's probable that one of the sleeves you've looked at will be enough. Good luck!!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:23 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

the orange aeroquip stuff is very bendable.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the helpful advice and information. Decided to try the aeroquip firesleeve and BSR even had it in stock.

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions on thermal hose sleeve