Sponsored by:

Cost effective lightweight wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Chad- HUGE kudos to you for taking the lead on this. It has always peeved me greatly that we need to pay $3200 for a good set of wheels that fits. Doesn't make sense since we know that good cheap attractive wheels abound.

I love those new OZ Alleggeritas... just found this post by a TireRack guy:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/t...leggerita.html
I really like those wheels too... Eric your Mailbox is full... I wanted to ask what size fronts would you get for our cars running 235/40/18 8.5" or 8"?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:46 PM
SDemas
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The three piece designs of BBS and Fikse allow us to run not only strong/light wheels but also custom offsets/rim widths. There are a lot of different rear offsets to account for on the back of a 964 and 993 for example. If you are running the correct rear maxed out wheel, it won't fit both a 993 and 964. The factory 993 wheels fit both cars because they are only 9s but once you go to 10 or 10.5 they aren't the same. A single piece cast wheel would be a compromise for all the fitments you listed above.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DWalker
...For the 944 Spec however, I would likely buy a set of cheap-ish wheels in the $1000 range, but much over that and I doubt I would be interested.
944 spec only allows factory cookie cutters or phone dials. Cookie cutters run $200 to $250 a set. Used of course.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nasa 944 spec only allows those wheels, scca 944 spec i believe currently allows any oem wheel, and in my case i would REALLY like to have other wheels available for track days etc where i have no wheel restrictions.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
I'm sorry my friend. I have to disagree.

I had sets of Kosei K1's and SSR's for my past BMW's. They worked out fantastic. Total cost for the Kosei's with Kumho V700's was under $1500. NOt to mention the wheels weighed in at 17lbs a corner.

We (racers and Weekend track junkies) need some more cost effective solutions. I challenge someone to step up and make this happen. I am willing to bet they would sell very well. I'd sure buy a set....or two.

While OE wheels are indeed strong...they are also VERY heavy. I'd love find some ltw wheels out there that fit these cars.

C.
chad, you are probably not in marketing field. i have kosei and SSR on bmw and bbs motorsport, fikse, kinessis, jongbloed, CCW on porsche. wheels cost more on p cars simply b/c p car owners are willing to pay. why we do that, i dont know. but that's mostly true. if i were making the wheels, say kosei k1's i will price it at 600 each for porsche application. why? b/c porsche owner will pay as it will be the cheapest choice out there for the application.

anyways, sorry there aren't great priced wheels like kosei, but CCW classicas at 2000 a set is not bad at all. or oz superlegra is pretty cheap too.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chads996
Soo...let me get this straight. You guys would rather keep spending $325 a wheel+. Is that what I am hearing?

C.
more like $1000-1500 per wheel for fikse and bbs.
i have had many wheels go bad on me. kosei has it's own issues as well, so do bbs. but in order to sell a product, you need to know your target audience. if kosei annodized the wheels and price it at $700/ea... you will start to see them on porsches. trust me on this.

when fikse drops price to $1500/set, no one will buy them anymore. this IS marketing.

this is how HUMAN mind works, dont fight it. i did a campaign for a very well know and $ cosmetic line. we put same "stuff" in men and women version of the subject product (it is still on the mkt), we shape them differently and different packaging (the packaging cost was the same for men vs women product, so is the cost for the actual product), but we charge the women version 3x the price. i tell all my women friends to just buy the men version. they all think i am full of sh*t... see, truth aint no matter, marketing is what counts.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Or race a BMW...
LOL, when i had my M3 track car, i couldn't care less what it looked like.
but porsches...... well we are all vain aren't we.

Quick Reply: Cost effective lightweight wheels...