Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good day at NJMP yesterday despite some 'you gotta be kidding me' moments.. =)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:45 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ari 997TT
Nice running with you guys, T.D. & Mussberger. I was in the black 944T with the orange front splitter & orange numbers. The amount of traffic was unfortunate in our group, mostly because of a couple of drivers that really didn't belong in Yellow. Otherwise, I thought the group did a nice job of giving point-by's and keeping things flowing OK. The last session on Sunday was un-crowded & moving along really nicely until somebody spun in the octopus & the group got black-flagged. Incidentally, I also live right near you, TD & ajcjr, in Woodbury.
You were moving along quite nicely. I felt the heat from that flame thrower of yours a couple of times
Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Ari 997TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the car was running just a little rich, I guess. But it sure does look cool spitting those flames.

T.D. I didn't mean you at all. You dont necessarily have to be flogging the car, or the fastest guy there to belong in the group. You moved along ok and were aware of your surroundings and gave timely point-by's. That's really where it matters
Old 04-21-2009, 12:52 PM
brucegre
Banned

Hiya Duck, I just wanted to chime in on your driving (cause this is Rennlist and that's what we do ). For someone with 3 driving events you were really doing well, this was fun to watch. As an instructor, other than the one hand on the wheel which has already been picked up, I really liked your hands in the turns - they were very calm and no adjustments once you had committed, which means you are using your vision quite well. And, the other big thing - your pacing on shifting is very good, usually I have to beat on people to get them to stop slam shifting but you were shifting quickly and smoothly without the speed shift moves. Pretty good for someone on a few hours of sleep, nice lines, nice use of the track, well done. You need a solid base of good habits to build upon if you're going to go fast and you are doing the right things. Sorry, I couldn't tell from the video, do you heel and toe? My ears aren't good enough to pick up on it.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:03 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobt993
Now that is lightning

thunderbolt new curbing installed last week second level really punishes the car hard when hit
Old 04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
when did you graduate?
I grew up in Brookville and graduated Jericho HS, class of '75.

As for Woodbury, I used to ride my dirt bike on the hillside there, right where the LI Exp'way and No. State cross.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I grew up in Brookville and graduated Jericho HS, class of '75.

As for Woodbury, I used to ride my dirt bike on the hillside there, right where the LI Exp'way and No. State cross.

ooki guess we did not cross paths, i graduated syosset in 91
Old 04-21-2009, 02:30 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJcroc
thunderbolt new curbing installed last week second level really punishes the car hard when hit

Especially under the bridge..no way can you put four tires on there because the rumble strip layers upward.

TD..gald you had fun at NJMP, I would recommend getting a hotel room next time so you arrive with a clear mind.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well i graduated Syosset in '03, so i guess i missed you guys by a few years .

Bruce, thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it. I have about 4 years of auto-x experience prior to getting into the track thing which i think have helped with my track driving immensely. I always try to be easy on the shifting and clutch, the 944 in particular is known for its glass transmission and 10hr clutch job, so i figure an extra half a second per lap is not worth blowing up either of them. I do heel-toe whenever necessary and rev match every downshift (on the street or on the track). It was one of the first things i learned after watching videos of Keiichi Tsuchiya (AKA the Drift King from Best Motoring) when i first got my license in highschool. I finally perfected it on a 944 with the floor mounted pedal after watching a video of Tiff Needle driving a GT3 vs a Helicopter around a track. There was one lap where my foot slipped off the gas on the blip and i completley screwed up the downshift heading into turn 1 from the straight, was a slight pucker moment going into that turn essentially in neutral.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hesitate to admit that I graduated Jericho in '75.

Sounds like T-bolt is a very different track this year, what with new curbing.
What's the lowdown on that, and did they also change Lightning?

Quick Reply: Good day at NJMP yesterday despite some 'you gotta be kidding me' moments.. =)