Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good day at NJMP yesterday despite some 'you gotta be kidding me' moments.. =)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Ducky. Where did you find two minutes of clear track in yellow? It was my first time out on a track that was new to me without an instructor. I had my pucker moment out of the last turn (does anyone know the correct numbers for the turns?) onto the straight from a early apex. Also it was a bit interesting the different lines that were being used going into the "octopus" Did you happen to notice all the skid marks going in every direction there?

Did anybody else see this guy walking around downtown Millville?
Attached Images  

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 04-20-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to Jericho High School, now live in NJ near the GWB. At that time of the morning the Throggs to GWB is a straight shot through the X-Bronx; you'd have been early! Otherwise, I'd cut over Stagnant Island (Verrizano - Outerbridge) but I'd never venture through the city like that, even with one hand.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
NJMP looks like fun. I hope to be there later this year.
NNJR is holding an event there May 18-19. Upper run group only. Looks to e a very low-key event. And all that equates to a potential 4 hours of track time per day!

Price is a little steep though, at $375. Check out www.nnjr-pca.com or register at www.motorsportreg.com.

I'll be there - hope to see others there as well...

-Z
Old 04-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

MUSSBERGER, there was a ton of traffic in yellow. The first session was literally a train of cars, i pitted twice just to try and get away from all the traffic. If you look at the other video i have of NJMP, my instructor actually commented at one point that there was no traffic. We got lucky the 2nd and 3rd sessions as i had gotten out onto the track a minute or two late. All luck i think.

And on my search for a gas station, i saw some interesting things driving through Millville. The one that made me laugh was a rather disgruntled looking guy crossing the street with two 24 packs of Busch Light at 9 in the morning.. .
Old 04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
MUSSBERGER, there was a ton of traffic in yellow. The first session was literally a train of cars, i pitted twice just to try and get away from all the traffic. If you look at the other video i have of NJMP, my instructor actually commented at one point that there was no traffic. We got lucky the 2nd and 3rd sessions as i had gotten out onto the track a minute or two late. All luck i think.

And on my search for a gas station, i saw some interesting things driving through Millville. The one that made me laugh was a rather disgruntled looking guy crossing the street with two 24 packs of Busch Light at 9 in the morning.. .
I think I saw him as well.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I went to Jericho High School, now live in NJ near the GWB. At that time of the morning the Throggs to GWB is a straight shot through the X-Bronx; you'd have been early! Otherwise, I'd cut over Stagnant Island (Verrizano - Outerbridge) but I'd never venture through the city like that, even with one hand.

when did you graduate?

I hate going over the ginny gang plank and stink island, i have made many trips to englishtown and all of the race tracks outside of NY, i rather sit in traffic than go that way.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to give some big kudos to Metro region PCA. I only could drive on sunday, so I arrived early sunday morning and drove 5 nice sessions. My last session was just me and one other person on the whole track. I go a chance to experiment a bit with some new lines.

While I love the track at NJMP, I really really hate the new curbs. The inside curb is steep and really throws the car sideways when hit
Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
does anyone know the correct numbers for the turns?
On Friday, our Track Pack had a map.

From memory:

T1: End of Frontstraight
T2 : Right-hander over hill
T3 : Start of Backstraight
T4 : End of Backstraight
T5 : Left-hander
T6 : Right
T7 : Right
T8 : Right of Octopus
T9 : Left 180 of Octopus
T10/11 : Chicane
T12 : Start of Frontstraight
Old 04-20-2009, 07:00 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJcroc
I want to give some big kudos to Metro region PCA. I only could drive on sunday, so I arrived early sunday morning and drove 5 nice sessions. My last session was just me and one other person on the whole track. I go a chance to experiment a bit with some new lines.

While I love the track at NJMP, I really really hate the new curbs. The inside curb is steep and really throws the car sideways when hit
With that car you could miss them.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJcroc

Like this???

http://www.mingis.com/misc/Cayman%20Spin.wmv

Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Hey Duckie, what camera were you using? Image looked nice and stable and you can actually here sounds other than wind noise.

NJMP looks like fun. I hope to be there later this year.
Its a relativley old Sony MiniDV camcorder. I bought it probably well over 7 years ago to film skate videos with my friends (i was really into skateboarding back in highschool). Image quality is not the best considering the age, i think only 1.5 megapixels. I use a .6x wide conversion lens to get a better view also. I have it mounted to my Redline rollbar using a cheap mount from Chasecam which does not have the rubber vibration isolater like the more expensive IO Port mount. Works great for track, but is not too good for auto-x when i used to film the runs (lots of skipping in some areas).

The wind noise i was able to cut down by taping a cotton ball over the microphone, a trick i learned from auto-x'ing also.

I would like to get a higher resolution camera in hopes of being able to better catch whats going on with the gauges.. but i cant complain really as this one is decent enough.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

That last session sunday was a little to crowded some guy with a Cayman kept wanting to pass
Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Ari 997TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice running with you guys, T.D. & Mussberger. I was in the black 944T with the orange front splitter & orange numbers. The amount of traffic was unfortunate in our group, mostly because of a couple of drivers that really didn't belong in Yellow. Otherwise, I thought the group did a nice job of giving point-by's and keeping things flowing OK. The last session on Sunday was un-crowded & moving along really nicely until somebody spun in the octopus & the group got black-flagged. Incidentally, I also live right near you, TD & ajcjr, in Woodbury.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

look like that curb was more of a ramp the way it shot that cayman off
Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ari 997TT
Nice running with you guys, T.D. & Mussberger. I was in the black 944T with the orange front splitter & orange numbers. The amount of traffic was unfortunate in our group, mostly because of a couple of drivers that really didn't belong in Yellow. Otherwise, I thought the group did a nice job of giving point-by's and keeping things flowing OK. The last session on Sunday was un-crowded & moving along really nicely until somebody spun in the octopus & the group got black-flagged. Incidentally, I also live right near you, TD & ajcjr, in Woodbury.
Wow.. Woodbury, thats right down the road .

I am pretty sure you passed me on both the 1st and 2nd session, i remember your car because it was throwing some excellent flames from the exhaust into the turns .

I actually was one of those guys who did not belong in Yellow .. I was driving a little gingerly as i really did not want to blow the car up or send it off track for fear of not being able to get the car the 160 miles back home. Lime Rock and Pocono i didnt have much fear, but that extra 60-ish miles NJMP is from home made me think a lot more about how hard i drove the car that day. I was a big wuss on the straight.. i was only giving it about 3/4 throttle the way down and basically maintaining about 100-110mph down the straight..the car had a ton left in it! I guess after the long winter i just needed to get my feet wet again.

Even with the yellow sign off i think i am going to run the next event i do (not sure which yet) in green again, just to make sure i know im ready to make the jump.

Quick Reply: Good day at NJMP yesterday despite some 'you gotta be kidding me' moments.. =)