Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camera mount options without roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had a lot of luck with mounting a cheap nannycam to my helmet with heavy duty Velcro... Then I used my camcorder as a VCR to record it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMuir...layer_embedded
Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Paul, does the 997 cab have little square receptors to hold the windscreen in place (in the 996, they are just behind the front seats, near the seat belt anchors). If so, then try the following:

1/4" steel pipe square plugs (2)
1/4" to 1/2" steel pipe reducing connectors (2)
1/2" steel pipe nipple (3ft)
1/2" steel pipe nipple (sized to fill remaining gap)
1/2" steel pipe connectors (qty as required to connect the pieces into a single piece as follows:

plug+reducer+pipe+connector+pipe+..... +reducer+plug

The plugs at each end will fit perfectly in the windscreen receptors and hold the assembled pipe in place. You'll have to fiddle around with different lengths of pipe in order to screw it down short enough to get the plugs inserted, and still be able to later unscrew it enough to expand the length back to where it exerts solid pressure against each side.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys and your cabs...

Get a harness bar. Mount the camera to the harness bar.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
You guys and your cabs...

Get a harness bar. Mount the camera to the harness bar.
Yeah, sure. If we installed a harness bar in our cabs, someone would surely come along to give us the same grief - something like

"You guys and your cabs... Get a coupe."

Oh wait, someone already said that.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:40 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Paul, does the 997 cab have little square receptors to hold the windscreen in place (in the 996, they are just behind the front seats, near the seat belt anchors). If so, then try the following:

1/4" steel pipe square plugs (2)
1/4" to 1/2" steel pipe reducing connectors (2)
1/2" steel pipe nipple (3ft)
1/2" steel pipe nipple (sized to fill remaining gap)
1/2" steel pipe connectors (qty as required to connect the pieces into a single piece as follows:

plug+reducer+pipe+connector+pipe+..... +reducer+plug

The plugs at each end will fit perfectly in the windscreen receptors and hold the assembled pipe in place. You'll have to fiddle around with different lengths of pipe in order to screw it down short enough to get the plugs inserted, and still be able to later unscrew it enough to expand the length back to where it exerts solid pressure against each side.

The 997 uses the same windscreen as the 996.

I thought about building something like that only using aluminum and having a support that extends back to the rear seats and uses the rear seatbelts in addition to the windscreed mounts to secure it.

I posed the question to the forum before I went off and started building something.

I see another pcar in my future that will ultimately become a dedicated track car.

Paul
Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
The 997 uses the same windscreen as the 996.

I thought about building something like that only using aluminum and having a support that extends back to the rear seats and uses the rear seatbelts in addition to the windscreed mounts to secure it.

I posed the question to the forum before I went off and started building something.

I see another pcar in my future that will ultimately become a dedicated track car.

Paul
I also have used the rear seat center mounting point to secure 2 pipes that ride along the length of the transmission hump and curve up 90 degrees just behind the seatbacks. Then I bolted the two pipes together along with the "outside" end of a tow hook into one of the pipes with a thru-the-pipe bolt, leaving the threaded "inside" of the tow hook sticking out towards the roof. (needs an after-market tow hook, where the hook is bolted to the post so you are using only the post, not the hook). The threads matched the head of my tripod perfectly so I just threaded it on, and voilla, a camera mount that swivels left-right and rotates up-down just like a tripod. The whole contraption pivots at the rear seat mount, so height is adjustable (I use a wheel chock underneath to prop it up to the desired height, and strap it down tight using light weight tie downs connected to the front seat rails.

BTW, the pipe I used came from the hard-top carrier, which just happens to have pre-cut holes in all the right places to make this work. None of the coupe bigots out there will understand this when I say "that's the best use of the hardtop option I have ever seen!"

Here's a crappy phone pic with both approaches installed. (Set up for 2 cameras). Total cost was less than 50 bucks. (much cheaper than a new car).
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

When turning left hold camera in right and. When turning right hold camera in left hand

Quick Reply: camera mount options without roll bar