Sponsored by:

loading/unloading a trailer ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009 | 10:46 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default loading/unloading a trailer ?

Is there anything to be concerned about re the upward load on the hitch when driving on or off a trailer? Seems that the tongue wants to fly skyward. Should stands be placed under the rear of the trailer to limit this movement?
Old 04-18-2009 | 10:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

If you chock the trailer wheels, you limit the forward roll while loading/unloading, which in turn limits the amount of upward pressure on the hitch.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-18-2009 | 10:52 AM
Tim
Racer

Its not a bad idea.
Old 04-18-2009 | 12:38 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I put a jack stand set just below the rear edge. The most it drops is about 1"
Old 04-18-2009 | 07:19 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bill, I can say it was never a problem with that trailer when not using jack stands while unloading when the trailer is secured to the hitch. If is ever were to become a problem, I wouldn't drive the loaded rig on the highway, as you will see similar or greater "lift" loads under certain conditions.
Old 04-18-2009 | 08:09 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Should be no problem if hooked up to your tow vehicle properly. I've seen numerous examples of what happens if it is not hooked up to a vehicle and has no feet at the rear edge (jack stands). It is not pretty. If you do put something under the rear before the weight of the car is in the trailer you likely won't be able to get it out. The weight of the car will push down on the jack stand. You would only need jack stands if the trailer is free standing. My .02.
Old 04-18-2009 | 11:00 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Somewhat related query regarding loading/unloading:

I know most folks will bring a couple of planks and place them behind the regular trailer ramps - this helps prevent a lowered car from hitting the trailer when loading/unloading.

Since I'm not a lumberjack, and prefer not to lug around a bunch of wood, with the trailer attached to my tow vehicle, with parking brake engaged and trailer wheels chocked, I use the trailer jack to raise the front of it a little (20 turns of the crank). This allows me to load/unload my lowered 944 without bottoming out anywhere.

Any reason why I shouldn't use this technique?

Thanks,
-Z-man.
Old 04-18-2009 | 11:25 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Lifting the hitch while loading/unloading doesn't concern me.

However, I once saw a guy straddle the hitch to help is wife drive onto the trailer. I told him "You should't straddle the hitch. If something broke it would snap up and do some serious bodily damage."
Old 04-18-2009 | 11:27 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Bill;
It's OK unless you forget to latch the hitch first. You can predict the results - bed tilts up, guy that you recruited to help spot you thinks "humm, tilt bed trailer," as the hitch goes up and into the back door of the (borrowed) Suburban.
Couple of hundred dollars of bodywork later, everything's back to normal.
Old 04-18-2009 | 11:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Mine is pretty tricky with the open trailer, which i use for the long distance traveling now.
I have to put special contraptions to allow the car to clear the splitter. I also need to put jackstands on the rear of the trailer and I have to jack up the trailer hitch,as connected to the truck. If anything is missing, its big problems, mainly due to how long the nose is, and how low the car is overall.
Old 04-19-2009 | 12:37 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I use a set of these to get my lowered car on my trailer and, while it does have little jacks I can lower to support the tail while driving up, I have yet to ever use them.

Marc
Old 04-19-2009 | 12:38 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Never had that problem with my enclosed trailer as the tongue weight was 700 lbs empty. However, it is a good idea to chock the wheels as one time I drove the car into the trailer which was on a small incline, and felt the damn thing sliding forward. WTF? Didn't take but a second or 2 to throw it into reverse and get back out!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-19-2009 | 12:52 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

a little pricey for what i made with some 2 x 4s and blocks. took a few times to master how I wanted all of it bolted together, complete with a hinge for storage, but it works and allows for my very low, very long nose to run up the ramp onto the trailer.

mk

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I use a set of these to get my lowered car on my trailer and, while it does have little jacks I can lower to support the tail while driving up, I have yet to ever use them.

Marc
Old 04-19-2009 | 01:33 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mark kibort
... but it works and allows for my very low, very long nose to run up the ramp onto the trailer.

mk
Yes, but can you get the car up on the trailer too?

Marc
Old 04-19-2009 | 08:54 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The Trailex trailers, such as Bill has (was my trailer), come with longer ramps (9ft or 11ft depending on the model) than those I see on most other trailers. I never had to use any lumber, etc. with any of my very low cars, including the Cup Car.

Quick Reply: loading/unloading a trailer ?