Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that a wet lay or Dry Cf roof?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:35 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default race car

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
thanks all. VR you dont like that steering wheel? it pops right off!!

thanks Dave I did the CF roof for weight just like the wing and trunk but it does look nice together!

target weight is 2850 but I have my doubts.
I think you will get there. A guy in our club put his GT2 on a similar diet and dropped 400 lbs. Cup doors were a huge weight drop.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Main hoop with 5 bends and no diagonal is likely going to be an issue for some groups. Was there a "To be such and such class legal" spec in your work order with the shop?
Might look at an X in the roof hole while you are in there.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
yup, needs the main hoop diagonal

I'm really surprised by all the shops that build cages without reading the rulebooks or being familiar with the basic rules. Not just the guys who take their cars to circle track/offroad/dragrace fabricators but racing shops that specialize in Porsche's. Seems like every few weeks a proud owner shows off his cage only to be told it's illegal. Luckily it's a pretty easy fix in this case, but a hassle to have to paint it twice.

funny I ALWAYS see guys post pics of their cages here only to be told "something" is not right. my shop assured me all the rules where checked and observed and that is the cage I got. thank you guys for your inputs was hoping to get them.
going to the shop today for a little talk
Old 04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wow looks great! Your going to have alot of fun with that car

Might be a dumb question but why aren't the plates in the back of the car (by the rear seats) not fully welded to the body? 4th picture down where the cage meets the top of the rear wheel wells
Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Definitely put at least one diagonal bar in the roof. I went with two.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assurance is one thing, letter of the law is another. Your main hoop has 5 bends and no in plane diagonal. Based on the pictures you posted those are facts. as an example, a main hoop diagonal is specified for in print by some of the groups you have listed a desire to drive with.
A good and safe build, Passing tech and getting your log books in hand is the real assurance. It will be easy to read the rules of the groups you plan to run with on these two items. Not only is a main hoop diagonal called for but where the terminations are to be made is listed as well. Don't kill your builder unless he does not back the work to the point you have the log books in hand. No diagonal in the main hoop is a common cage/roll bar build fault.

Another possible nitpick Tech might have.
It could be just how they look in the pictures but the corner bends in the main and other tubes look very tight and have a saddle bender like deformation on the inside of each. The radiuses looks to be smaller/tighter than spec but again it could be the pictures. Too tight a bend causes the outer wall to weaken from over forming and thinning. You normally do not see any or only slight deformation on the inner wall. Radius to tube diameter is another in print spec and easy to check.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
+1 on the diagonal and also I believe atleast SCCA GCR has a rule about 4 max bends for the main hoop, yours looks like 5 in the pictures. I can't remember off the top of my head if that is also in NASA and PCA but worth checking before you get all done with it.
ok I did know that and they wanted the extra bend for fitment so the main hoop had to be a thicker tubing.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HKE46Boy
Is that a wet lay or Dry Cf roof?
not sure what that means but it came from GettyDesign looking great, I just had an extra layer of clear coat put on it. the entire piece is just CF though.
not sure if that is what you asked? sorry for my ignorance.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
I think you will get there. A guy in our club put his GT2 on a similar diet and dropped 400 lbs. Cup doors were a huge weight drop.
my doors weigh 60 pounds a piece and will be the last to go. problem is I have an open trailer and need doors with lexan windows that will go in and out. so that will take a little more time.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Main hoop with 5 bends and no diagonal is likely going to be an issue for some groups. Was there a "To be such and such class legal" spec in your work order with the shop?

yes car cage was specifically to be legal in PCA SCCA PBOC and NASA

really what else can a vascular surgeon do?? but go to you guys for help every once in a while
Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
wow looks great! Your going to have alot of fun with that car

Might be a dumb question but why aren't the plates in the back of the car (by the rear seats) not fully welded to the body? 4th picture down where the cage meets the top of the rear wheel wells
not sure but you can believe I will ask
Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Assurance is one thing, letter of the law is another. Your main hoop has 5 bends and no in plane diagonal. Based on the pictures you posted those are facts. as an example, a main hoop diagonal is specified for in print by some of the groups you have listed a desire to drive with.
A good and safe build, Passing tech and getting your log books in hand is the real assurance. It will be easy to read the rules of the groups you plan to run with on these two items. Not only is a main hoop diagonal called for but where the terminations are to be made is listed as well. Don't kill your builder unless he does not back the work to the point you have the log books in hand. No diagonal in the main hoop is a common cage/roll bar build fault.

Another possible nitpick Tech might have.
It could be just how they look in the pictures but the corner bends in the main and other tubes look very tight and have a saddle bender like deformation on the inside of each. The radiuses looks to be smaller/tighter than spec but again it could be the pictures. Too tight a bend causes the outer wall to weaken from over forming and thinning. You normally do not see any or only slight deformation on the inner wall. Radius to tube diameter is another in print spec and easy to check.

thanks for taking the time to help me. going to the shop today!!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:43 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking great any idea of Debut? If you are at PBOC Sebring in May swing by I'll have the usual fare going on. Likely already thought about it but you could always name your car: Arterial Motives

cheers.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom, You can make removable plexi inserts for the door frames. My doors weigh 5 lbs now. The EVO models have a frame included and fit pretty well. The plexi-glass can be secured from the inside for a little bit of security. Not sure what would be stolen, but you never know. Also get a fitted car cover and some straps for transport in bad weather or your start looking at a nice enclosed trailer!!!!

Quick Reply: interior going full race...some pics...