Default Diffusers deemed LEGAL

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74475

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/7996698.stm

i can only imagine this made Steve Matchett's day
Old 04-15-2009 | 09:15 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's ridiculous for Ferrari to complain about the cost of redesigning their car.
Old 04-15-2009 | 09:19 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by earlyapex
It's ridiculous for Ferrari to complain about the cost of redesigning their car.

Why?

They had made such a fast 2009 car and now they have to waste money to redo the aero package.
Old 04-15-2009 | 09:32 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think this is no surprise after stewarts found them to be legal.

The only question now is who can catch Brawn GP? It's going to take incredible effort just to redesign the diffuser given there is limited wind tunnel testing allowed and no track testing. Look for considerable running by those teams on Friday to try and sort this thing out.
Old 04-15-2009 | 09:39 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Was there any doubt?
Old 04-15-2009 | 09:40 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

OUTSTANDING. Finally some good news about F1. I think this is a fair assessment of the diffuser situation. With three teams running them, and a few teams that are not (but still competitive), I am not surprised by the ruling.

Good stuff.

I give it another couple weeks and all the teams will have revised diffusers. You watch.

C.
Old 04-15-2009 | 11:30 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Kudos to Ross Brawn, I just love that guy!
Old 04-15-2009 | 11:39 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chads996
OUTSTANDING. Finally some good news about F1. I think this is a fair assessment of the diffuser situation. With three teams running them, and a few teams that are not (but still competitive), I am not surprised by the ruling.

Good stuff.

I give it another couple weeks and all the teams will have revised diffusers. You watch.

C.

I bet some teams have already started making them, at least like a stage 1 from which they can build on. Some DF is better than none. Will all the guys they employ I bet computer simulated models have already been drawn up and maybe even produced and now it's time to test them. We could see some revisions to the rear area as soon as this weekend.
Old 04-15-2009 | 12:02 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Was there any doubt?
I don't think so. do I?
Old 04-15-2009 | 12:10 PM
NJcroc
Racer

I would bet Ferrari started making one as soon as they saw them
Old 04-15-2009 | 01:50 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by earlyapex
I'm waiting for the redesign. And then Ferrari still being slower. Pretty soon they'll run out of things to blame.

-td
Old 04-15-2009 | 02:07 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ferrari complaining about budget problems is like GB Jr. talking about the environment. Pure BS. They have one of the biggest budgets in F1 and have always gone against testing restrictions. They simply got out designed. It will not take long for them to catch up and eventually pass the Ross Braun cars.
Old 04-15-2009 | 02:43 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wanna911
I bet some teams have already started making them, at least like a stage 1 from which they can build on. Some DF is better than none. Will all the guys they employ I bet computer simulated models have already been drawn up and maybe even produced and now it's time to test them. We could see some revisions to the rear area as soon as this weekend.

Agree completely. I would be shocked if Ferrari and McLaren did not have them within two races.

C.
Old 04-15-2009 | 03:04 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Renault claim they showed "the same" design to the FIA and were told it was illegal. I wonder if there is any truth to that.

It's also interesting that the 3 teams that were notpart of the "overtaking committee" somehow came up with a different interpretation of the rules than everyone else.

One other thought-the diffuser 3 are fairly desparate teams who likely had no shot at the championship anyway. Why not put a questionable design on the track and take the risk? All they could do was lose the points they never would have scored anyway.
Old 04-15-2009 | 03:05 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

This decision was as expected, I don't think anyone was surprised.

All the teams, especially the big ones (Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW, Red Bull) have been designing this thing but it's not that simple as to just a slab copy of Brawn's diffuser and be done with it. It will be MAJOR work for the teams without it.
Red Bull has actually tried one before anyone even say Toyota, Williams or Brawn's version of it but Newey said it didn't work for them.

So now the teams without one will have to revise their cars heavily (as Ferrari is bitching) but some of them are already in pretty good shape with them. McLaren & Renault are in pretty far ahead with their versions.
In China there will be at least some early test versions of them in Friday practice, it remains to be seen whether any of them work well enough for them to use it during Sat. & Sun. but it will take a month, month and a half before they're fully developed.

Originally Posted by Todsimpson
...One other thought-the diffuser 3 are fairly desparate teams who likely had no shot at the championship anyway. Why not put a questionable design on the track and take the risk? All they could do was lose the points they never would have scored anyway.
You're absolutely right, the "diffuser teams" took a small risk for the first 2-3 races since they could afford it and now with this decision it has paid off.

Quick Reply: Diffusers deemed LEGAL