Sponsored by:

Recommendations please.... Track time in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Recommendations please.... Track time in Germany

I will be in Germany from about June 13 to June 21. I am trying to set up some track time, preferably with instuctor. Based on threads in this and other forums, I am looking at potentially renting a car here to drive the 'Ring.

The Porsche Driving School here does not have anything in that time frame. BMW driving school info is all in German, so I cannot tell if they have anything going on. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or links from anyone who has had a good experience while in Germany. TIA!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OT, but your avatar is VERY unique! Good job with that!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the schedule at the Ring to make sure your not there during a test or racing week. Check Hockenheim also. They have public days at several tracks. Bring a helmet as you may have a problem renting one (although optional). There are several guys on this forum that are in Germany and know the ring very well. Search "ring" threads and PM them with your request. I have been lucky and managed two closed course schools at the ring along with a week worth of public days. BTW, it gets expensive so save up your funds.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
check the schedule at the Ring to make sure your not there during a test or racing week. Check Hockenheim also. They have public days at several tracks. Bring a helmet as you may have a problem renting one (although optional). There are several guys on this forum that are in Germany and know the ring very well. Search "ring" threads and PM them with your request. I have been lucky and managed two closed course schools at the ring along with a week worth of public days. BTW, it gets expensive so save up your funds.
I'm so jealous reading your signature - I only managed to get in two laps at the Ring so far during a European Delivery. I'm considering doing the BMW school in August this year ...
Old 04-15-2009, 02:09 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got to drive the Ring in 07. Worth every penny for the experience. You don't need the fastest most expensive car. The place is amazing and any sporting vehicle would be enough for a noob. I am scheming on how to get back there ASAP. It is something you will always remember... definitely do it if you have the chance. Flexibility is helpful as a crash can shut the place down for the day. Depending on your schedule that can really be a bummer.

FWIW, If you are traveling with a significant other, do both of you a favor and let her hang out in Cologne if she is not REALLY into cars. There isn't a lot to do around Nuerburg, especially if you don't have a car!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:11 AM
joonas
Racer

Some links I saw reading another forum.

http://rsrnurburg.com/index.php?opti...d=24&Itemid=25
http://www.rent4ring.de/index.php?id=8&L=1
http://rsrnurburg.com/index.php?opti...d=12&Itemid=42
Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Thanks, will try PM to the locals. Hope to find a closed course experience - with mostly blind curves and no corner workers, I am more worried about coming around a corner to find a VW Vanagon touring at 30 MPH on the public days...

Originally Posted by schwank
FWIW, If you are traveling with a significant other, do both of you a favor and let her hang out in Cologne if she is not REALLY into cars.
Wife is not coming along, thats why I can plan "all cars all the time" diversions...

Thanks for the links!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your going to have a tough time finding a closed course lapping session in June I would imagine. Your really only losing the front straight as you return to the gates for the next lap. On a busy day, they do have a conned off area on the front straight to allow pass holders to stop only momentarily. Keep in mind this is a long track. It will take 50 laps to know each successive corner and a lot longer to master the reference marks, turn-ins etc. I had several instructors ride with me years ago including a test driver/racer for the BMW factory. They all have slightly varied opinions on entry/exit.

Test days I believe require a Groupe B racing license. You can apply for one by providing a recognized American racing license. Typically they ask for SCCA, Koni etc. You also need a physical exam in Germany for the actual license to be accepted. They do not recognize club licenses (PCA, BMWCCA), but maybe with a log book they would consider it. I spoke with one of the school directors at the ring about the procedure 2 years ago so this may have changed. Whatever you do, get a ride around the track first for 2 to 3 laps before trying to drive it at any speed. Stay to the right.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent idea and easy to execute.

Rent-RaceCar, works nice. There are several others also. Make sure you have accommodation fixed before you get there.

Things get booked fairly quick, so don't wait too long to arrange your trip.
If you stay several days, a suggestion is to take a cheap/normal car the first day and just drive the track to get to know it.

I suggest you contact Hammerwerfer here on the forum. He's probably one of the best suitable people on RL to help you with this.

Enjoy your trip!

Originally Posted by facelvega
Thanks, will try PM to the locals. Hope to find a closed course experience - with mostly blind curves and no corner workers, I am more worried about coming around a corner to find a VW Vanagon touring at 30 MPH on the public days...
After first lap around the ring, most are more worried about locals passing you on the inside. Still in a VW Vanagon
Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 AM
tmark
Instructor

Try RMA Trackdays (www.rma-limited.com). Brit outfit with events all over the UK as well as Nurburgring and (!) Spa. Very professional.

Mark Taylor
David Murry Track Days
Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^+1. I've done some RMA days there - closed course, no in and out every lap (whole front straight, which is really a trip) and only about 80 cars, which can make it feel like you're all alone for large parts of the circuit. Also no motorcycles, ring taxis or VW vans. Not cheap, but very well run days.

Quick Reply: Recommendations please.... Track time in Germany