-td

DASS what ah'm talkin bout.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-15-2009, 01:05 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Because most people don't have the slightest clue what they actually do in a car vs what they think they do. 9 times out of 10, when someone says they take X corner at WOT, its probably a lie. Not a lie to deceive others, but they are just honestly mistaken on whats really going on, and if they had a car with data, then they would see how that lift at entry then WOT isn't, or that feather at exit isn't WOT through the turn.

So, me being negative/pessimistic, its easier to doubt than to agree.

oh, and i'm not concerned about Jay. Thanks though.
Very true, agreed, and understood completely. I wouldn't recommend listening to everyone out there, I would however pick out the faster guys and see and listen to what they are doing. This could be as detailed as looking at their Data or as simple as listening to them and then going to a spot on the track (or go for a ride with them) and listen to see if they do lift or watch the tach and see if it falls or stops rising.

Oh, and I no you're not concerned about Jay.

I hope your motor is in and ready to go for this weekend, I would love to see you in a car you could push and be able to get your optimum out of, it sucks always to be racing and always have a reason for not going as fast as you could.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So at what point do you guys consider to be flat out? I'm still trying to finesse the car out of 3 (I dive into 3 pretty hard), so I'm not full throttle on exit (or entry into 4). I don't go back to the left, but am in the middle of the track, for entry into 4. I do a quick lift to get the front end to bite and then put the pedal to the floor until the bottom of the hill. Is that considered WOT for 4?

G.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
So at what point do you guys consider to be flat out? I'm still trying to finesse the car out of 3 (I dive into 3 pretty hard), so I'm not full throttle on exit (or entry into 4). I don't go back to the left, but am in the middle of the track, for entry into 4. I do a quick lift to get the front end to bite and then put the pedal to the floor until the bottom of the hill. Is that considered WOT for 4?

G.

I am at full throttle by the 2nd apex of 3 if I do it right (and I take a relatively early line there like you do, G). I also go only to mid track, and turn into 4 early, and use its long apex curb to "aim" me through 4 into 4.

I think WOT for 4 is basically WOT exiting 3 all the way until the brake zone at the bottom of the hill. Obviously neither of us is doing that.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

So at what point do you guys consider to be flat out?
Thats a good question. I guess its WOT from braking zone to exit, but would that ever really happen? If it did, i'd say you almost entered too slow. Maybe there is no such thing as a fully WOT, when you are driving at the limit of the chassis.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Thats a good question. I guess its WOT from braking zone to exit, but would that ever really happen? If it did, i'd say you almost entered too slow. Maybe there is no such thing as a fully WOT, when you are driving at the limit of the chassis.
Yup...

You also have to factor in that after turn 3 and before turn 4, you don't brake. If I enter 3 slow enough to exit at full throttle, I would never ease up (if I was pointing in the right direction). That definitely would be WOT for turn 4.

G.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

Yup...

You also have to factor in that after turn 3 and before turn 4, you don't brake. If I enter 3 slow enough to exit at full throttle, I would never ease up (if I was pointing in the right direction). That definitely would be WOT for turn 4.

G.

I would imagine certain cars like SRF's can be WOT from turn in for 3 all the way to the bottom of the hill.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I would imagine certain cars like SRF's can be WOT from turn in for 3 all the way to the bottom of the hill.
I think a spec miata should be able to pull that off too, but my cajones aren't big enough yet. I do a little chicken lift right before turn in to 4 and then I'm mashing the throttle through the floor all the way down to the braking zone for 5. I learned the hard way a while back not to even THINK about lifting once I turn in to 4.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
I think a spec miata should be able to pull that off too, but my cajones aren't big enough yet. I do a little chicken lift right before turn in to 4 and then I'm mashing the throttle through the floor all the way down to the braking zone for 5. I learned the hard way a while back not to even THINK about lifting once I turn in to 4.
Oh come on, post the video. It's a classic!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:39 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
Oh come on, post the video. It's a classic!
It's probably still out there on youtube somewhere, but I'm not going to post a link to it. You'll have to work to find it!

Quick Reply: A fast lap around Eagles Canyon Raceway