Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
CORRECTED
LOL!

My car can do it, just not with me driving it. Gladwill did it in my car, and it was consistently .2-.3 seconds faster [edit: in that corner alone] than me with my little lift. I'm comtemplating working up to it this weekend - but man, those hay bails don't look friendly.

-td

Last edited by himself; 04-14-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
LOL!

- but man, those hay bails don't look friendly.

-td

So don't hit them!

Bring me up there sometime. I'll get you there.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whoa! Seemed like an invisible slingshot propelled him out of T6!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!

My car can do it, just not with me driving it. Gladwill did it in my car, and it was consistently .2-.3 seconds faster [edit: in that corner alone] than me with my little lift. I'm comtemplating working up to it this weekend - but man, those hay bails don't look friendly.

-td
Flat through 4 in an E36 M3? I don't believe it.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I right seated it with Greg in the "Miata of Doom", and I must say Greg was like 1.5 seconds slower.

(everywhere)
Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Not at all picking on you Greg, it's just a comment I see/hear often and you just happen to be the one that made it this time.

How come when people hear of someone else being able to do something that they are unable to do, it must not be so ?
Also, how come when people (usually towards the lead pack guys) see a car faster than their own car, the other guy must be cheating ? Of course my first thought is that if he thinks I must be cheating to go as fast as they are, then they must be cheating to have drawn that conclusion.

Anyone remember Montoya his rookie year ? No one would ever believe you could go down on the inside on Shumi for a pass, the problem was that everyone forgot to tell Montoya you couldn't do that !
Bottom line ........ just because it doesn't seem true or possible in your mind doesn't mean that someone else hasn't figured out a way to do it.
Watch, learn, follow, then pass.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Not at all picking on you Greg, it's just a comment I see/hear often and you just happen to be the one that made it this time.

How come when people hear of someone else being able to do something that they are unable to do, it must not be so ?
Also, how come when people (usually towards the lead pack guys) see a car faster than their own car, the other guy must be cheating ? Of course my first thought is that if he thinks I must be cheating to go as fast as they are, then they must be cheating to have drawn that conclusion.
I bet Matus isn't flat through T4, and I know you have the data on that.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by onefastviking

Anyone remember Montoya his rookie year ? No one would ever believe you could go down on the inside on Shumi for a pass, the problem was that everyone forgot to tell Montoya you couldn't do that !
Bottom line ........ just because it doesn't seem true or possible in your mind doesn't mean that someone else hasn't figured out a way to do it.
Watch, learn, follow, then pass.
I've driven the track, I've raced the track, and I've won races at the track... and I still don't think it's possible*. Judging by Dave's "Full power going into turn 4! I wish my downforce was that big..." comment it sounds like he doesn't think it's possible either. Himself, do you have the data?

*Ok, ok, if you got a terrible exit out of 3 it's possible.

EDIT-What does this E36 M3 weigh and make power wise?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Himself, do you have the data?
Yes. Data is below. [edit: I don't have an e36 M3. I have a street 996 [read 3200+ lbs] pushing 300 HP at the crank running PSS9s. Laps times were 2:04s/05s, which is close to E36 M3 prepped car times I would guess.]

BTW, I was in the car when it was being done, and I know it IS possible. As you can see, the first lap was the warm up lap, but still plenty fast through 4. The next 2 laps were pedal down. 3 laps then to the pits, as he was only testing my setup and not going for quali laps.

Bah, I guess you can figure out I'm not driving the top graph

Name:  John1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  66.1 KB

As a comparison, look at a normal T4 (with a slight lift before turn in -> which is the company line taught by most clubs). It is .2-.3 faster to be on full throttle. As you can see below, it's about 7-8 MPH..

Name:  T2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  67.3 KB

-td
Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm seeing that he went through faster, not that he's at WOT. Semantics now, i'll try WOT in the GAC ST car in two weeks.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

That just shows speed, not throttle position. I still see a small hesitation on his 3rd(best) lap. Faster, yes. Flat out, doesn't look like it. Just curious, what was his best lap time?

[edit: I don't have an e36 M3. I have a street 996 [read 3200+ lbs]
Oops, I must be mistaking you for someone else.

Last edited by Greg Smith; 04-15-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG_M3
I'm seeing that he went through faster, not that he's at WOT. Semantics now, i'll try WOT in the GAC ST car in two weeks.
When I look at the data trace for every other corner where there is WOT, the slopes are not that different. To me, they look pretty close to the same. But, I can't PROVE it WOT since I don't have a throttle sensor. C'est la vie. Take it for what it's worth - FAST through 3-5.

-td
Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

That just shows speed, not throttle position. I still see a small hesitation on his 3rd(best) lap. Faster, yes. Flat out, doesn't look like it. Just curious, what was his best lap time?
It is what it is. Sorry I can't prove it. Take it for what it is, compare it to your data. If it helps, great. If not, flush it. I got nuttin else. Oh, I edited my original post with some additional data - including the fact I don't have an M3 (not sure how that even got into the mix...). In my 3200+ lb piggy with 300HP, we are both pulling 04s and 05s.

I'm interested to see what other folks data traces look like. Every other car I've ridden in has a slight lift there, which would show as a flat spot on the speed graph.

-td
Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG_M3
I bet Matus isn't flat through T4, and I know you have the data on that.
Somehow I knew this would be taken wrong. It wasn't meant to lay any claim that Dave, Greg, Jay or even myself COULD go flat out there, it was a general statement.
My point was that rather than argue whether someone was able to do something or not why not try to learn from them and see if they have something of value to learn from.

Jay (Matus) isn't the fastest driver I have seen, he has room for improvement and he and I both know it and work on it EVERY day we are at the track. The car has room for improvement also, that is my job not Jays', but don't worry I am making it faster each time out as well. Rather than be concerned with whether or not Jay is flat out in 4 why not try to learn from what he is doing, he seems to be doing an ok job, or atleast better than most out on the track for whatever reason. There might be something to learn from other drivers.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:01 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Greg Smith;6483465] I still see a small hesitation on his 3rd(best) lap. QUOTE]

Isn't that area a little bumpy ? Since we are looking at speed trace could it be a bump/wheel spin/drop in accell that we are actually seeing ? It does seem like a very slight lift/hesitation which is why I consider this.

Quick Reply: A fast lap around Eagles Canyon Raceway