Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

perfect in car video & data acquisition system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

If cost isn't an issue get the DaVid for the AIM system. It turns on automatically, takes up to two seperate camera inputs, and the video is auto-sync'd with the data. Look to spend about $3K for it.

http://www.aimsports.com/products/david/index.html
Old 04-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
is DaVid2 = smarty cam?
i am not as concerned about cost, i am concerned with ease of use. i need something a dog can use without learning. i cannot remember to turn on my tqmate (one major reason i sold it). if it requires any input from me, it's too complicated. i want to fire up the car, drive and everything just record automatically.

i am not kidding. i still cannot program my TV clock. so i need it SIMPLE. i got way too many things @ work to keep me occupied.
i'll do some research.
thanks "circuit motorsport", sorry i can't find your name on signature.
DaVid2 is not the smartycam. It's not out yet so the exact specs aren't really in stone. It may or may not be a single camera system so that might be the deal breaker for those wanting a multi camera system.

The SmartyCam is a standalone system that can also attach to the AIM systems but you're stuck with a single camera.

The DaVid is a nice setup. It's not a video recorder but a data and video integration unit. It's been out for a while and the pricepoint is on the high end of the spectrum. You still need a recorder for the system (something not needed for the upcoming DaVid2). Most people use the ChaseCam.

Here is a video made with teh DaVid system. Sorry, cheesy music but at least a Porsche

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...za_porsche.mpg

If I had the time I'd wait for the DaVid2. However the time frame is the big unknown. I had my hands on one in December but same for the SmartyCam and neither have made it to customer hands yet.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:51 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, great infor guys. thx
Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Race technology with their Video 4 unit (being released now). 4 video inputs + sound, with video and data recorded on same Compact flash card - perfectly synced. I am in line as I write this. I have their data recorder with brake prssure, throttle position, and steering senors. Should be good
Old 04-13-2009, 09:00 AM
granracing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd base my decision a bit differently. Find out what systems people with similar cars to what you're driving are using, and give that some serious consideration. Being able to compare data with other like cars on the same track, hopefully during the same weekend can be extremely helpful. One of my friends has an AIM system and while he likes it, no one else with a similar car is using it. If he had to choose again his decision would be different. I know several people who use Race Technology DL1s - between that and learning about the system (software, DASH display, and data logging itself) that's what I chose. One of my friends is also extremely knowledgeable about the system so I can always turn to him for coaching on how to use it.

Quick Reply: perfect in car video & data acquisition system?