Sponsored by:

Heel & Toe common error

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:07 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
You mean like in this video..... I have watched this video probably 50 times and I'm still amazed how the shifting is lightning fast and to my knowledge, extremely perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyM-egecTlw
Well the guy can obviously drive, but what, did he have flashing police lights on top of his car?? Everyone was just pulling over and letting him pass. He also had a clearly better car than the other guys. Was this some sort of DE or test day? It couldn't have been a race.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well the guy can obviously drive, but what, did he have flashing police lights on top of his car?? Everyone was just pulling over and letting him pass. He also had a clearly better car than the other guys. Was this some sort of DE or test day? It couldn't have been a race.

IIRC, he was in a RSR and started at the very back of a very large race group, so yeah, he was in a car markedly faster than the rest.

When I drove Seth's GT3 at Road Atlanta, I was able to downshift into 10a just as fast, so I don't buy the assertion that a non-Cup car cannot do this. So did Seth when I rode with him in it. He double clutched, I did not, same result. Now, could you do this with a Carrera 4? Probably not. but, as I said, with a car designed for more serious track work (and 996 GT3's are IMO) you certainly can.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-08-2009, 08:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

It just looked a little odd how some of those guys were giving him the red carpet ride through the field without any qualms. I'm not saying they should block him but some of those cars had similar straight line speed and they just rolled over for their master. Maybe I'm misreading something?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Stock drivetrain 944. The track is VIR. Those familiar with it might even recognize where I am on track at any given moment. The moments of coasting are due to slower traffic.

http://redlinerennsport.homestead.co...amExtended.wmv

Those very impressed by young Keen's shifting (and it is impressive) might also remember it is a lot easier to do if you are not paying for the gearboxes.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR6
Likewise, I have made the mistake of revving the engine too high while releasing the clutch which makes the car suddenly "lurch" forward with acceleration as you release the clutch.
Same here.

Originally Posted by TedA
I own this technique....
And I thought I was the only one.
Must not be as noticeable unless you're the one doing it.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IMO it drives the speed of the footwork, with one caveat: a 915 requires slow HANDS. If you use slower hands, your feet can be fast---that is, you can be on & off the clutch pedal quickly.
I forget where I read this, but I tried it several years ago, and have adopted it ever since (and it definitely helps me avoid rushing into each gear):

1) When moving the shift stick forward, push from behind with an open palm. Let your finger tips rest on the other (front) side of the stick, but don't wrap your hand over or around it.

2) When moving the shift stick backwards, pull only with your finger tips from the front of the stick. (I actually hold it from above with my thumb pressing in from the side, but the point is to avoid resting your palm on the top of the shift ****.

Makes for a light touch and forces you to slow down. Like other techniques, if you shift like that every day on the street, it becomes natural on the track.

On a related topic: I notice that most people seem to stab the clutch pedal all the way to the floorboard, but the clutch pedal on my car engages the clutch about half-way through its range of travel. Seems to me that if you only push it as far as required, you will also develop a lighter touch with your feet as well. I think it would make me shift more slowly since I wouldn't be able to just stab it w/o much thought.

What's the prevailing wisdom/technique on that?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
1) When moving the shift stick forward, push from behind with an open palm. Let your finger tips rest on the other (front) side of the stick, but don't wrap your hand over or around it.

2) When moving the shift stick backwards, pull only with your finger tips from the front of the stick. (I actually hold it from above with my thumb pressing in from the side, but the point is to avoid resting your palm on the top of the shift ****.

Makes for a light touch and forces you to slow down.

Dear Penthouse Forum......

Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a related topic: I notice that most people seem to stab the clutch pedal all the way to the floorboard, but the clutch pedal on my car engages the clutch about half-way through its range of travel. Seems to me that if you only push it as far as required, you will also develop a lighter touch with your feet as well. I think it would make me shift more slowly since I wouldn't be able to just stab it w/o much thought.

What's the prevailing wisdom/technique on that?
Only thing I can add about this is when you don't fully disengage the clutch when shifting, you may not get a grind, but you will be working the synchros a lot harder. It's the synchro's job to slow or speed up the disc, input shaft and counter shaft to match the speed of the output shaft. If the disc is still under any clamping force, it will be that much more work for the synchros. I always push the clutch pedal to the floor. However, I'm still only in yellow so take that FWIW.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 AM
sig_a
Pro

My console gets in the way for actual heel-to-toe downshifts. Instead, I roll my right foot and flick the throttle using the brake as a pivot point. Seems to work well. I also try to double clutch up and down - much easier on the drive train.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Heel-toe is something I REALLY need to learn...looking at my "hot" clutch today after seeing my burned rod bearing makes me think my far less than ideal driving style needs some WORK
Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dear Penthouse Forum......

...now practice this technique until you are in control of the timing of corner entry and corner exit, while matching the rhythm of the motor. You'll know when you've got it right when the tires start to squeal.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:16 AM
scottjua
Intermediate

Funny, this thread made me really conscious of how I heel/toe downshift, and I am pretty sure I have it down well. BUT I don't have any recent actual footage showing the footwork, but I have an old video from early 2002 auto x in my old passat when I was newer to using it all. I had to self teach myself on the road after watching lots of Best Motoring back in the late 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0G8t6u92tg

I don't always get them 100% perfect, but that video in the original post definitely made me pause when I noticed the revs vs. the footwork.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
My console gets in the way for actual heel-to-toe downshifts. Instead, I roll my right foot and flick the throttle using the brake as a pivot point. Seems to work well. I also try to double clutch up and down - much easier on the drive train.
can you explain the double clutch (sorry if that is a stupid question) but the pedals in my Audi A4 drive me nuts and i can not heel and toe, i do not think Audi had this in mind because of the pedal position.

thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
can you explain the double clutch (sorry if that is a stupid question) but the pedals in my Audi A4 drive me nuts and i can not heel and toe, i do not think Audi had this in mind because of the pedal position.

thanks
press clutch
shift into neutral
release clutch
press clutch
shift into desired gear

Most people don't master it because it's not required by their street car tranny. (Applies to tranny's w/o a synchronized gearbox). Some feel that it's a good thing to master as a driver of any manual transmission (search Mtosi's posts on this topic for more info). If you haven't mastered the A4 pedals, however, it's a moot point.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:18 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

press clutch
shift into neutral
release clutch
press clutch
shift into desired gear

Most people don't master it because it's not required by their street car tranny. (Applies to tranny's w/o a synchronized gearbox). Some feel that it's a good thing to master as a driver of any manual transmission (search Mtosi's posts on this topic for more info). If you haven't mastered the A4 pedals, however, it's a moot point.

ok now if you want to match the revs of the motor on the downshift do you blip the throttle at some point? That is basically why i was wondering how this is done.

thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 12:10 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
ok now if you want to match the revs of the motor on the downshift do you blip the throttle at some point? That is basically why i was wondering how this is done.

thanks
Yes. I should have inserted "rev match". Fixed it below:

press clutch
shift into neutral
release clutch
rev match
press clutch
shift into desired gear

Quick Reply: Heel & Toe common error