Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car repair and/or storage facility question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:36 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car repair and/or storage facility question...

Thought I'd throw this out to the gang here for advise.

I have a friend who owns some industrial real estate on the north side of Atlanta. He has been approached by a highly qualified vintage car mechanic who wants to move his current auto repair shop to one of his buildings. The building is approximately 11,000 sq. ft and the shop area would need approximately 2,000 sq. ft. He would lease out the balance of the space for example to those involved in vintage auto racing, other types of racing or simply want to store their car. Those spaces would be divided in some manner. Each car/renter would be given enough space to store their car, tools, tires, etc. Let’s assume the mechanic is highly qualified and can handle the full spectrum of service required for a vintage race car and the mechanic would provide access to a lift, air, consultation, etc. for those that want to do their own work.

What is your opinion of the desirability of a set up like this? What would you be willing to pay? Do you know of any other locations like this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions

Jim
Old 04-02-2009, 06:07 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim -
This is something that I've looked at before real estate took a dive.
Given the right demographics I would say it is feasable. Particularly if he could garner some additional maintenance work from those who rent the space.
The business model I was looking at was similar to this:

http://www.garagetown.com/

Where the car guys actually owned their space similar to a condo but with the added benefit of having an onsite high end mechanic and available repair space (i.e. lifts) for rent by the hour or day. it would also benefit in having a detail shop there as well.

Being outside the Atlanta market would make this project much more feasable in this economic market.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the link.

My buddy spoke to the mech and the mech felt he needed a space for 50 cars to really make it work. I think it's optomistic to think you can find that many to cars to store and/or work on. I'm thinking 25-35 cars and you'll be lucky.

The detail shop is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Car repair and/or storage facility question...