Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for 18" Wheels - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff, if you decide to stick with some strong wheels, I have a set of 18" Forgeline WC3 wheels I will consider selling. The fronts are 18" x 9" and the rears are 18" x 11". They cost close to $4,000 new but I would sell them for somewhere around half of that if you are interested. They have very little use on them (only 12 weekends) and they have no damage of any kind. The centers are the "gunmetal grey" color and the outer wheel halves are polished.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good side shot of my car showing the wheels . . . but I do have a photo of the WC3 wheel and this photo from VIR:
Attached Images   

Last edited by Jeff Lamb; 04-02-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Jeff, thanks for the offer and I have always liked the WC-3s because they're about the closest you can get to the Fikse FM-10, my original 'love'...and I have seen your car MANY times at VIR, it's sick...

Will we see you this year with NASA MA??

Also, the rear 18" x 11" is a bit too large for my narrow-bodied C2, 18" x 10" is about all I can fit under there.

Man I wish I could fit those on my car, they're beautiful and the best offer I've had yet - surely you'll be able to sell those for that amount, no problem...hey, maybe we can make this the "Sell Your 18" Wheels" thread?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Jeff will those Fiske fit a 2002 996 Turbo or are they for the narrow body 997 cars? I have a guy looking for a second set.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

mdrums, Jeff L. is selling Forgeline wheels...and yes, I would think they would be perfect for an '02 TT...depending on offset needed, the widths would probably be perfect.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
I have seen your car MANY times at VIR, it's sick...Will we see you this year with NASA MA??
Jeff, thanks for the compliment. Yes, you will see me at VIR again this year because I love that track. The reason I have not attended any races so far this year is that my car is mostly in pieces at the moment. I have a good shop in Charlotte (called Zuffenhaus - they are partners with Eurowerks) re-working my roll cage at the moment (and a few other things). I hope my car is back together by the late May / early June timeframe . . . or earlier!!

Man I wish I could fit those on my car, they're beautiful and the best offer I've had yet - surely you'll be able to sell those for that amount, no problem...hey, maybe we can make this the "Sell Your 18" Wheels" thread?
No problem. I love the wheels too. The only reason I am considering selling them is because I am looking at some unique new wheels that haven't yet hit the market. I know . . . I know . . . it's a VERY slippery slope!!

Best regards,
Jeff
Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
whoa, that's a new look.
maybe john at CCW was drunk that day?

The Enkei NT03's are favorite in the BMW/Evo/Subaru crowd. Although they are a cast wheel a bunch of people are tracking and racing them with no horror stories. They are reasonably priced, if you can get them in the right size and offset give them a try. I looked a while back and there were limited offsets in the Porsche bolt pattern, none of them worked for my project.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums
Jeff will those Fiske fit a 2002 996 Turbo or are they for the narrow body 997 cars? I have a guy looking for a second set.
Mike, if you are referring to my Forgeline WC3 wheels, I am not sure if they will fit a 2002 996 Turbo, however, I can probably find out for you. I will look into this next week and let you know.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
For track work I would recommend avoiding 3-piece. With all the heat and stress they will likely leak. I've had HRE and BBS. Both are reputed to be excellent. Even real BBS Magnesium Motorsport rims. They all leak. It's a huge pain in the a$$. I've even had the modular bolts break and the rim halves separate.

2-piece is fine. If the rim is one piece from inner to outer lip you are fine. But try to avoid 3-piece.
Even the air is trying to get out of Canada
Old 04-03-2009, 09:37 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

CWay27 - That RSA looks good with black wheels, I'm starting to dig that look!

WHO makes those wheels??
CCW and sorry if I was late to respond.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Thanks for the responses everyone, I've been away from "the list" for a couple of days but I think I may be in a good position to purchase a set of wheels I've made a deal on later on today.

Also, thanks for the offers via PM that poured in, it is likely I will be taking someone up on one of those offers...I'll post a pic or update my avatar here shortly.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Are all cast wheels necessarily worse than all forged wheels? In other words would a higher end company like Oz in theory have a better cast wheel than other lower end cast manufacturers and possibly some forged?

Btw I have a set of CCW 14s on my 964 which I love but am looking at the cast Alleggeritas for a new project (996) track car.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
+1. Save the $600. and get their 3-piece "Classics"....

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/wheelpr...php?id=Classic
Do you have this on the Boxster? I'm hesistant to 10" in the back due to the spacers. CCW seem to be the best deal for light weight forged. Cast alloys are an overpriced waste of money in NYC streets. I've bent everything under the sun..twice.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff you know you can still buy my Mach V's...
Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Smile well.....

Me and hundreds like me have been running Porsche factory cast aluminum Cup wheels on our 964 and 993 cars on the track for years...I have for certain. Never have had a problem. The wheels are cheap and they seem to hold up. If you bend one...no biggie...replace it for a few hundy!

I have a set of MY 2002 996 18" wheels (8" front 10" rear) that I have run in the past...will run again in May. They are made for Porsche by BBS....good enough for me....if I had unlimited funds, I'd have BBS 3 piece...forged centers and spun aluminum inners and outers. Ding an inner or outer...repair it.

Jae Lee at Mirage International in San Diego, CA has a set of BBS wheels for sale at a moderate price as I recall.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,851 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M

The Enkei NT03's are favorite in the BMW/Evo/Subaru crowd. Although they are a cast wheel a bunch of people are tracking and racing them with no horror stories. They are reasonably priced, if you can get them in the right size and offset give them a try. I looked a while back and there were limited offsets in the Porsche bolt pattern, none of them worked for my project.
"most" wheels with right offset and bolt pattern for porsche are expensive. bad for us.

bmw on the other hand are supported by cheap, strong wheels. i used to run kosei k1, literally indestructible cheap things. but i can't find one that fit porsches.

Quick Reply: Shopping for 18" Wheels - Suggestions?