Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running track pads without dampeners

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009 | 01:20 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Default running track pads without dampeners

I'm planning on switching to using dedicated track pads for DE's and street pads for daily driving. I haven't changed the pads yet myself so my questions may have an obvious answer once I get to it but thought I would ask ahead of time anyway.

When I go to remove the street pads (currently around 50%), will it be possible to pull them out while leaving the vibration dampeners stuck to the back of the pads ? That is, will there be enough clearance to get the dampeners out of the pistons and out of the caliper without detaching them from the pads ? (without removing the caliper in which case I assume there would be plenty of room)

Is there any issue (other than noise) with using track pads without any dampeners ?

The car is a 2006 Boxster-S and am planning to put Pagid Yellows on for the track.
Old 04-01-2009 | 06:58 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Hi,
I haven't yet changed the pads on the "new to me" Boxster S, but in my other Porsches, the dampeners are "stuck" to the pads and what I do is use a thin metal spatula to "un-stick" them before sliding the pads out. That leaves the dampeners "in" the caliper and depending on the new pad I'm putting in can stay right there. So, out comes the "cotter pin", I press on the retaining clip to relieve the tension, push through the retaining pin, squeeze each rotor to the caliper using whatever I have on hand to do the job (ie: Protective coated - so as to not scratch the caliper - pipe wrench). That leaves me with the pads loose in the calipers. Slide the spatula between pad and outside of caliper to break the bond with the dampeners, then the old pads slide right out. You can leave the dampeners in if you want, or pull them out if you won't be using them with the track pads. When I use pads like PFC97s, no problem leaving them in. Pads like Pagid Yellows are too thick - they have to come out. Again, those were pads for my 07 C2S or 07 GT3, so they might be slightly different than the 987.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but you won't know until you try. But if you break the bond between dampener and pad, it won't be a bad thing. I've been swapping pads for years and never heard a peep out of my stock pads once I put them back in after the track.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2009 | 11:29 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

My experience with my Cayman is the same as RonCT. I used the spatula method and leave the dampers in place on the front brakes. There is plenty of room for the Hawk HT-10 pads I use. No issue with rear caliper.
Old 04-01-2009 | 06:09 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Pagid Yellows (which acadian bought) are normally quite thick, usually leaving little room for the dampeners unless the pistons are pushed all the way in - and I mean all the way.

I had some customers who did not do this, and it resulted in toasted rear calipers and other unpleasant maladies.

For a track day use only pad, I would highly recommend not using the dampeners at all.
Old 04-02-2009 | 01:53 AM
ECS
Pro

I have done my own pads and also questioned the need for the dampers. The chief tech told me that the dampers also serve the purpose of dissipating heat. As brakes get really hot during DEs I would advise using them. The only thing I have done is disconnect/tape off the brake pad indicators as I always check them myself anyway.

Quick Reply: running track pads without dampeners