Sponsored by:

Heat Cycling new tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
boss351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heat Cycling new tyres

I have about 1+ day left of track use from my current set of Yoko A048's (will make 6 days), stock sizes on 996TT. I got about the same time from Toyo R888's - which I prefered in comparison, just felt a little grippier and faster to get to temp.

Now thinking about orderring MPSC's for comparison. (And eventually NT01's in bigger widths after them). Orderring from Tirerack there is the offer to have them heat-cycled and the explanation to why.. Yoko is on the recommended list, but the others aren't.

Would proper heat-cycling benefit the Toyo's/Michellins/Nitto's? For $60 getting even one extra service day out of a set of tyres would be well worth it..
Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A real heat cycling is on a track, only purchase the tire rack option if doing it yourself is not an option
Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
boss351
Instructor

If the heat cycle on track requires 24+ hours between the 1st and 2nd cycles then not an option..

Getting back on topic, does the benefit apply to all manufacturers? Specifically Michellin MPSC, Toyo R888 and NITTO NT01?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
boss351
Instructor

Bumping.. Is making an initial heat cycle beneficial to MPSC's, Toyo R888's or Nitto NT01's?
(Found documentation stating it is manufacture recomended for Hoosier, Kumho, Avon and Yokohama with 24-48hr cure time).
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

MSPC be careful on cold days !
Old 03-26-2009, 12:37 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the manufacturer's spec. Most competition tires require an initial heat cycle for tire longevity and ultimate performance, but this is not always the case especially a tire with a high treadwear rating (assuming DOT rated tires)
Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
boss351
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
MSPC be careful on cold days !
Thanks, things are warming up here in Texas right now.. I really liked the R888's but am wanting to compare the MPSC's.

What is the comparison consensus for MPSC, R888, A048 etc for cold/hot days??

Originally Posted by 2BWise
Check the manufacturer's spec. Most competition tires require an initial heat cycle for tire longevity and ultimate performance, but this is not always the case especially a tire with a high treadwear rating (assuming DOT rated tires)
Tirerack go along with that for tyres only intended for track use, as these are R compounds I will give the heat cycle a shot on the next set (MPSC's). After those will depend on how I like the MPSC's compared to the R888's, but if I switch back to R888's sounds like it would be worthwhile to heat cycle them also.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

boss, you can but Toyo R888's from Bob Woodman Tire and have them heat cycled.

I often wonder too if heat cycling tires for DE use and friving to an dfrom the track on Toyo R888's is even worth the heat cycling price. I too have never gotten a straight answer from a manufacture.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a good idea to HC a R compound track tire in my opinion, but I have no documentation from the MFG that the R888 "needs to be HC"
Old 03-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Forget the Michelin and stay with the Toyo. Especially for DE. I've tried both and much prefer the Toyo.

1) Michelin PSCs are scary in cold weather. Toyos love cold weather.

2) Michelin PSCs do not pump water. Toyos love the water.

3) Michelin PSCs need tons of negative camber - too much for the street. Toyos prefer a lot less camber.

Heat cycling is important in racing where every little bit counts. For DE it's not that big a deal. Especially if you drive too and from the track. I have used the TireRack heat cycling and I think it's pretty close to the real thing. Certainly good enough when you don't have the option of letting them sit (off the car) for 48 hours.

Lately I'm a big proponent of keeping it simple. I stick the R888s on the car in the spring and leave them there till the fall. K.I.S.S. I leave all the swapping and screwing around to the race car.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
boss351
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
Forget the Michelin and stay with the Toyo. Especially for DE. I've tried both and much prefer the Toyo.

1) Michelin PSCs are scary in cold weather. Toyos love cold weather.

2) Michelin PSCs do not pump water. Toyos love the water.

3) Michelin PSCs need tons of negative camber - too much for the street. Toyos prefer a lot less camber.

Heat cycling is important in racing where every little bit counts. For DE it's not that big a deal. Especially if you drive too and from the track. I have used the TireRack heat cycling and I think it's pretty close to the real thing. Certainly good enough when you don't have the option of letting them sit (off the car) for 48 hours.

Lately I'm a big proponent of keeping it simple. I stick the R888s on the car in the spring and leave them there till the fall. K.I.S.S. I leave all the swapping and screwing around to the race car.
Thanks for the input. I don't mind switching for events, after all I am bleeding brakes and switching pads also (street wheels are 19's with PS2's, track are OEM 18's). So maybe not even worth trying out the MPSC's and just going back to the R888's then.. The A048's were slow to get to heat/grip on a cold day also, but once there pretty good.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
Michelin PSCs are scary in cold weather. Toyos love cold weather.
I've run MPSC's in about 35 degree temperature with a flurry of snow coming down, and was within about 1.5 seconds of my best time.

I think the MPSC/code weather thing is a bit overdone.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities. Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to losing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=66

Please call me if you have any questions!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:41 PM
boss351
Instructor

Will do Damon, still on the fence between reverting back to the R888's I have been very happy with and the MPSC's that I am curious to try. Doubt I would encounter the cold weather with them before they're done but the wet weather is not unlikely..

Not in a mad rush to get either set as I haven't scheduled up April/May yet for events. Might have too much going on in April..
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 PM
normank
Racer

Maybe a little off topic, but where is the best place to buy Toyo R888's?

Quick Reply: Heat Cycling new tyres