Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Cycling new tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

In the US I like to use Bob Woodman Tires in SC. They do a lot of pro level race support and have an infinite amount of knowledge on these. But I believe you can get them from any Toyo dealer.

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/
Old 03-27-2009, 08:05 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
Forget the Michelin and stay with the Toyo. Especially for DE. I've tried both and much prefer the Toyo.

1) Michelin PSCs are scary in cold weather. Toyos love cold weather.

2) Michelin PSCs do not pump water. Toyos love the water.
I don't know about camber with the Michelin's but I agree with these other comments. Also, I've found the R888's to have decent grip right down to the cord. I got 5 DE's out of my first set. NT-01's are nice too.

They seem to have a stiffer sidewall, and need less pressure. Unfortunately, they are not very useful in the rain. I've got a set that I'm going to drive to the cord, and then I'm going with R888's full time.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 PM
boss351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I don't know about camber with the Michelin's but I agree with these other comments. Also, I've found the R888's to have decent grip right down to the cord. I got 5 DE's out of my first set. NT-01's are nice too.

They seem to have a stiffer sidewall, and need less pressure. Unfortunately, they are not very useful in the rain. I've got a set that I'm going to drive to the cord, and then I'm going with R888's full time.
Mike, how much camber to you run front/rear? I only managed 5 days on my R888s, some of the wear would have been part of the learning process with the pressures (ended up liking about 39psi f/r hot), guessing more likely my need for more camber..
Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
gab997
Racer

I have 19 hc on my NT01's and have about 50% life left still. I found a street in a local industrial park that has a large culdesac and spent five minutes to the left then five minutes to the right to get a bit of heat in the tyre and seemed to work well. I would have to guess I will get 35+ hc out of them.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget the Michelin and stay with the Toyo. Especially for DE. I've tried both and much prefer the Toyo.

1) Michelin PSCs are scary in cold weather. Toyos love cold weather.

2) Michelin PSCs do not pump water. Toyos love the water.

3) Michelin PSCs need tons of negative camber - too much for the street. Toyos prefer a lot less camber.

Heat cycling is important in racing where every little bit counts. For DE it's not that big a deal. Especially if you drive too and from the track. I have used the TireRack heat cycling and I think it's pretty close to the real thing. Certainly good enough when you don't have the option of letting them sit (off the car) for 48 hours.

Lately I'm a big proponent of keeping it simple. I stick the R888s on the car in the spring and leave them there till the fall. K.I.S.S. I leave all the swapping and screwing around to the race car.
+ 100
Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities. Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to losing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=66

Please call me if you have any questions!
Damon, is this advice specific to the R888 also, as I have searched there technical sheets and cannot find a HC recomendation for them??
Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
normank
Racer

In the US I like to use Bob Woodman Tires in SC. They do a lot of pro level race support and have an infinite amount of knowledge on these. But I believe you can get them from any Toyo dealer.

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/
Thanks for the link. The local Toyo dealers don't carry much in the way of performance tires.

Last edited by normank; 03-31-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Any R-Compound is going to benefit from that type of heat cycling. I imagine a street tire may benefit also. It certainly won't hurt.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
va122
Drifting

TOYOSONLY@yahoo.com

Bryan Schacleford, great guy in AZ. Next day to CA, he has RA-1s 888s and nittos too.

Shaved nittos!! fast as hell.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
TOYOSONLY@yahoo.com

Bryan Schacleford, great guy in AZ. Next day to CA, he has RA-1s 888s and nittos too.

Shaved nittos!! fast as hell.
+a bunch for Bryan!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Do you run in the faster run groups? If so, shaving the tires is probably more important than heat cycling. If you run full tread the tread blocks heat up and it will wear the tires much faster than if you shave them. Good thing is the Toyo's get faster with use... to a point. Go to Bob Woodman for this and see if you can still get RA-1's vs R888.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 AM
boss351
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmporsche
Do you run in the faster run groups? If so, shaving the tires is probably more important than heat cycling. If you run full tread the tread blocks heat up and it will wear the tires much faster than if you shave them. Good thing is the Toyo's get faster with use... to a point. Go to Bob Woodman for this and see if you can still get RA-1's vs R888.
Yes, I am in the fastest groups at the events I attend. Will have to research this then also, I always thought that shaving was going to shorten the usage of a tyre (less rubber to get through), interesting.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Brian P
I've run MPSC's in about 35 degree temperature with a flurry of snow coming down, and was within about 1.5 seconds of my best time.

I think the MPSC/code weather thing is a bit overdone.
I agree, I arrived to a snow covered barber last march on nearly bald MPSC, drove them on cold wet track and still nearly broke into the 1:30's in traffic. Only 2.5* front and 2.2* rear camber. Third time at the track. First few session were empty because of the snow. And it was freezing!!!!!

If there is standing water, there is no fun to be had, but damp track is no problemo. And cold temps aren't either if you are pushing them hard enough.

Quick Reply: Heat Cycling new tyres