Heel-Toe Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:17 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heel-Toe Shifting

http://944spec.org/944SPEC/content/view/64/25/

Found this cool little video on 944Spec. Check out how he is releasing the clutch immediately ahter the blip. There have been several discussions in the past on "what is?" and "how to". This makes it pretty easy to see what people are talking about. It would be great to have a split screen with another camera on the shifter and a third on the track
Old 03-22-2009, 05:13 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought you already knew how to do it!

How's the new job?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it me or does he seems to release brake pedal pressure when he goes from 5th to 4th on the downshift as apposed to maintaining constant brake force?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 PM
James-man
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slow that down by a factor of 10 and you've got me.

Does that qualify me for HWFMR?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

smlprck...I mean smlporsche, yes I know how, but not always smoothly and not always with perfect timing. I just posted it because it is a real clear view of the mechanics, and it is done fairly well. Not perfectly, not as if we were watching Schumacher or Wolf Henzler, but I thought it looked pretty good for a club racer.

Dan, You're probably right, but I do not think it is possible to keep perfectly constant braking pressure while hitting the throttle with the same foot.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

@~38+ seconds, "Fifth gear... down to third, down to second" [no 4th], "ride the brakes into the trun" and then he swaps over to left foot braking switching feet position in the middle of the braking zone .

Is there any reason for this? Why wouldn't you just brake until you're done braking and THEN heel toe?

-td
Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by dbryant61
smlprck...I mean smlporsche,

LMAO

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanR
is it me or does he seems to release brake pedal pressure when he goes from 5th to 4th on the downshift as apposed to maintaining constant brake force?
No way to really maintain constant brake force, at least from when I try it and my technique is just like is,. I also don't left foot brake...
Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

It would be great to have a split screen with another camera on the shifter and a third on the track
Here is a split screen video with a pedal cam. Sequential tranny but the heel/toe downshift is the same. Something we where playing with at CMP this year. We also put it in the left rear fender arch aiming at the rear suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1rXJHhlSLc
Old 03-23-2009, 08:31 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any reason for this? Why wouldn't you just brake until you're done braking and THEN heel toe?

-td[/QUOTE]

He explains this in the commentary. LFB, switching feet allows a smooth transition of power and car balance. Once you get proficient at LFB, you find yourself doing this subconsciously to balance the car when your really hot going to the apex.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:06 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
@~38+ seconds, "Fifth gear... down to third, down to second" [no 4th], "ride the brakes into the trun" and then he swaps over to left foot braking switching feet position in the middle of the braking zone .

-td
It comes down to timing. I will often skip one gear going from 5th to 3rd to 4th to 2nd. However going from 5th to 2nd is just too much of a jump to complete smoothly. What happens is when you get good a heel & toe everything becomes second nature. So you hit a braking zone and just get on brakes. Then by feel you time you heel & toe downshift. However the time to slow form 5th at mayby 125 mph to 2nd at maybe 45 mph is a long one and if you skip all the way down it is very easy to be at 60 mph trying to get into 2nd gear. This is bad news. So by going to 3rd instead you keep your flow going by hitting a down shift at the right time and then just rip off another one to get you in the right gear.

Plus the less time you are in neutral the less the revs on the motor drop while braking thus makiing each blip needing less RPM to match. The other thing is that in along braking zone you may need to be in a gear to avoid something infront of you. Being in neutral means more time to find gear and rev match to get out of trouble.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, now I have to video my feet.
I work all the pedals transfering from feet and pedals as needed. I am a long time left foot brake user although I do like the term left foot balancing better. Usually you are not really braking, you just happen to be using the brake pedal to balance the car for handling.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Ok, now I have to video my feet.
I work all the pedals transfering from feet and pedals as needed. I am a long time left foot brake user although I do like the term left foot balancing better. Usually you are not really braking, you just happen to be using the brake pedal to balance the car for handling.
Yup, same here.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

"smlprck...I mean smlporsche"

Eddie, Where are you? I deserve some form of bashing for this one.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:47 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

"smlprck...I mean smlporsche"

Eddie, Where are you? I deserve some form of bashing for this one.
I was going to save it for the track..
Now I'll have to sign up for your event in May

Quick Reply: Heel-Toe Shifting