Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking Bias effects on a Road Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Who all is currently making the hardware for racing applications. I haven't looked into it at all so the only company I know who is producing one is Bosch. What kind of cost for the system?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bosch is the only real option I know of as well. 7000 EUR
http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/cont.../html/3490.htm

There are those who have the information from BMW to make some tweaks to those boxes, but you pay a lot for that information and still don't have a box that you can make your own maps for.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

I would't trust tweaking a stock BMW box. There is a lot development time and effort that goes in to making it work on a stockish setup. Once you deviate too far from that with brake upgrades, especially pad, and high grip tires then you're at risk of leaving the vehicle under its max braking capability.

Plus the ability to tune the system is a huge plus, but you're right that is a big price tag. I'm guessing that is aimed at teams running Koni challenge, Rolex, and some other higher end series, but only if its allowed.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Would love to get my hands on a box since I have access to a guy who is an electronic stability control engineer for his day job.

I'm not sure who they are focused on selling to. They aren't really allowed in any of the classes you mention I don't believe. And in ALMS, the factory teams simply build their own hardware. I guess if you were a P2 team, having a box you could buy and then tune yourself would be helpful.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Would love to get my hands on a box since I have access to a guy who is an electronic stability control engineer for his day job.

I'm not sure who they are focused on selling to. They aren't really allowed in any of the classes you mention I don't believe. And in ALMS, the factory teams simply build their own hardware. I guess if you were a P2 team, having a box you could buy and then tune yourself would be helpful.
Popular in endurance cars.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts

What company does he work for? Just curious cause I'm in the same business.

I believe that Koni has allowed race ABS and it was at Daytona this year that the first real race evaluation occurred. I'd have to clarify that for sure, but if memory serves that is correct.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2BWise
I believe that Koni has allowed race ABS and it was at Daytona this year that the first real race evaluation occurred.
Ahh...perhaps they have now that they are using the Bosch ECU as well.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2BWise
What company does he work for? Just curious cause I'm in the same business.
Sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: Braking Bias effects on a Road Race Car