Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking Bias effects on a Road Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:46 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

There is going to be an offset due to the force of gravity and the angular position of the car relative to the hill.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought we were going to get skooled in fiziks.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Good explanation. Ive heard that before, but didnt know how that was possible. Thanks.

mk

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Dive changes the orientation which changes the accelerometer output. So does driving down a hill. If you park the car at a standstill pointing downhill, the accelerometer isn't going to read 0. If you hang the car with a chain from the rear bumper, even though the car isn't moving, much less accelerating, the accelerometer isn't going to read 0. If you drive a car down the hill at a constant rate of speed (i.e. no acceleration), the accelerometer isn't going to read 0. The accelerometer is zeroed based on a stationary car on a flat surface.

No one is arguing that, all other things being equal, a car won't take more time to stop in a downhill braking zone than it will to stop in a flat braking zone. That's a given. That will obviously lower the rate of deceleration. But, because the car is pointing downhill (and experiencing dive), your accelerometer is going to read a higher rate of deceleration than the car is actually experiencing.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Newtons laws.....f=ma....you know the stuff you're mad skilld in from the hp/torque stuff.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

But i dont know squat about the telemetry sensors. I guess if it is just an accelerometer, then it makes perfect sense. tilt an accelerometer on its toward the ground and it will show 1g
mk

Originally Posted by 2BWise
Newtons laws.....f=ma....you know the stuff you're mad skilld in from the hp/torque stuff.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

There you go. Now since the hill has a known slope you can calculate the expected offset to the accelerometer with...f=ma. Same thing will happen with pitch and roll motions although the angle is very small and can be assumed to be neglible. Most hills can be considered neglible, but once you get beyond roughly ten degrees the effect will be measurable.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The 100 marker, on the back straight? C'mon Dave, tell it to the newbies. Unless your car was only going 110 mph, there is no way you were able to brake that late.
No, into T1.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
But i dont know squat

mk
LMAO!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-29-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What would be the best way to add an adjustable controller to a stock brake configuration ? (similar to what Mark and I have)

Is there a system available that can be adjusted from inside the car on the fly?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlocity
What would be the best way to add an adjustable controller to a stock brake configuration ? (similar to what Mark and I have)

Is there a system available that can be adjusted from inside the car on the fly?
On a stock system with a single master cylinder, you can only install in-line pressure limiters that allow you to limit the pressure to the brakes from your seat in the car. Normally folks install one for their rear brakes, but I've seen them installed on the front and on both. It really depends which way you need to go in your bias adjustment. I've even seen them installed for each front wheel so that you adjust braking force on each side of the car for dirt track ovals.

If I were driving a stock based system, I'd consider removing any pressure limiting bias device installed by the factory and then using an in-line device to the rear brakes so that I could make the adjustment on my own.

Here are mulitple options:
http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResu...CategoryID=577

You should be able to find them from your favorite race parts supplier.

Last edited by Bryan Watts; 03-19-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: me speelll baad
Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bryan,

Thanks for the perfect answer !

I think that I am pretty close to optimum right now, my pad wear front to rear is almost identical.

Ken
Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love all the science, my son is a physisisiststst (I am not).......one question though from a low tech point of view.
Am I wrong or is it true that with the proportion type bias all you can do is LESSEN the amount of braking to get the right bias?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanS911
Am I wrong or is it true that with the proportion type bias all you can do is LESSEN the amount of braking to get the right bias?
Yes.

The next step up is to use a dual master cylinders setup with a balance bar adjuster.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:25 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Yes.

The next step up is to use a dual master cylinders setup with a balance bar adjuster.
There is another way to accomplish this but it involves an ABS system. You don't necessarily need to control from lockup, but you can cap the pressure in the rear axle to your preference. It could "match" the bias you would use otherwise.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Yeah...the problem is that the cost of programmable ABS is prohibitive. I've got someone who is an expert on doing the programming. Just don't have the funds to afford the hardware.

Quick Reply: Braking Bias effects on a Road Race Car