Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to rainy Road Atlanta this weekend. Advice on preparing windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:56 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to rainy Road Atlanta this weekend. Advice on preparing windshield

I am going to rainy Road Atlanta this weekend and need advice on preparing the windshield on my 944Cup car. First of all, how do I clean off the years of rubber and other crap that seems to have embedded itself into the windshield. Normal windshield cleaners just don't work.

I am looking for products that are locally available, which pretty much limits me to Autozone, Advance etc.

When and If I get it clean, I'll apply Rainex. The car currently has a single windshield wiper on the driver's side. Should I add one on the Passenger's side, or do I need wipers at all with Rainex?

Update Can someone tell me a little more about how to apply the dish soap to the windshield? Do I just rub it on full strength? Clean the windshield with a diluted solution?

I don't want to end up with a bubble bath

Thanks for your input

Last edited by johntorg; 03-10-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

It's not going to rain, say it over and over again!

I've used brake cleaner or even WD40 to get rubber off of my front window. Then clean well with windex or similar product. Once clean, apply RainX (follow directions).

I run both wipers, it's easy to see when making right-hand turns.

Come over and say hi at the track this weekend.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:25 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good old rubbing alcohol if you have a glass w/s.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I haven't really found the need for wipers, even on an untreated Lexan shield...just don't slow down and the rain will keep moving away. Sure, they would be nice to have, but I wouldn't go through the trouble of adding the 2nd.

The outside will be the least of your worries IMO. Do you have the stock defroster/defogger still in the car? If not, I recommend some dish soap, shampoo, etc spread thinly on the inside of your glass to prevent fogging. It will look a little hazy at first, but it will be 1000 times better than fog forming on the inside. Some sort of soap product works MUCH MUCH better than the anti-fog stuff in a bottle.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM
kfyork
Advanced

I'll echo Bryan's sentiments as regards inside fogging; his suggestions are spot-on.

As for cleaning the exterior of a glass windscreen itself, make a mild-paste mixture of BonAmi and water. Wiping this solution over the entire glass surface and rinsing it off - then followed up with the procedure cited in your post - should work great.

Click image for hyperlink.

As an aside, BMW also recommends BonAmi as per their Service Information Bulletin (SIB) 61 02 94 (3990)
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM
DanR
Drifting

try an antifog from your local scuba shop, I use one for my mask and it also works great on the windscreen. (better than soapy waterFailing that I always spit in my mask but that ma take you a while
Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys, the windshield is glass, so I'll add the additional wiper and use some sort of anti-fog solution.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Tim, my car is #19, a Grey 44Cup car. Is yours the 924S in your signature? what color/number.

See you there.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by johntorg
Tim, my car is #19, a Grey 44Cup car. Is yours the 924S in your signature? what color/number.

See you there.
See below. If all goes well I will be there on Thursday night.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Ive raced in downpours with RainX. Great stuff. follow the directions though. Its like putting on car wax

mk

Originally Posted by DanR
try an antifog from your local scuba shop, I use one for my mask and it also works great on the windscreen. (better than soapy waterFailing that I always spit in my mask but that ma take you a while
Old 03-09-2009, 03:45 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Tim,

Your car looks great. I bought a GTS3 or 4 car for next season, or whenever I get good enough to drive it. I'd like to talk to you about what's invoved in setting up a GTS3 car.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:51 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Tim,

Your car looks great. I bought a GTS3 or 4 car for next season, or whenever I get good enough to drive it. I'd like to talk to you about what's involved in setting up a GTS3 car.

Are you running the Enduro? Its my first time at RA, so I'm doing "Test and Tune" on Friday.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Good looking car, I remember when that was being sold. I will absolutely tell you how to set up a GTS3 car to be slower than mine If you want help building a fast car, I would suggest GTS4

Yep, signed up for the enduro on Friday as well as the sprints on Sat and Sun. There are a couple of us racing the enduro and we are short on pit crew. If you are willing to help we would appreciate it. Of course there will be beer after the race
Old 03-09-2009, 05:16 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Tim, sounds good There will be two of us there and we would be happy to help as long as it doesn't interfere with the Test and Tune. What kind of lap times do you run at Roebling?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by johntorg
Tim, sounds good There will be two of us there and we would be happy to help as long as it doesn't interfere with the Test and Tune. What kind of lap times do you run at Roebling?
Have not been there for a few years and the car was certainly not a GTS3 car at the time. The GTS3 track record at RR is 1:20.85.

The enduro starts at 2pm after the T&T, so I'm considering you a volunteer

Quick Reply: Going to rainy Road Atlanta this weekend. Advice on preparing windshield