Sponsored by:

Hoo-boy: Here's how not to drove a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
LOL. I was using your quote as a beacon of common sense... Precisely that driving 10/10ths (or 11/10ths?) is not appropriate at a DE. In fact, beyond "not appropriate" because it's only a matter of time before someone like that takes out an innocent fellow driver.
OK, agreed, sorry I may have misunderstood.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-02-2009, 01:40 PM
171mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
was that you dp?
you SURE IMPROVED.

before u guys laugh, not many DE or club racers for that matter can match DP's current speed in similar cars at LS, SP or TH.
Thanks! I posted that a long time ago more for the song than the video actually....

But watching it now does make me glad i'm in advanced groups and not dealing with people who might lift right in front of me. Courage and ineptness are a deadly combination...just glad i didn't hurt myself or anyone else.

Now back to being flamed by people who base their judgement on one data point marked 'wipeout'....
Old 03-02-2009, 02:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

You rock now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGqSJ...e=channel_page

And by the way, i didnt see you hit anyone OR spin all the way around!

mk

Originally Posted by 171mph
Let's not disparage the anonymous and incompetent. Rather encourage them; they may surprise you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZEgR3C-N4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ZFi1Zx64c

http://vimeo.com/1698182

I'll be the first to laugh at my initial ineptness (and gasp at my lack of respect for certain rules) but i've improved along the way and more importantly made a lot of great friends!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I know!! what was that!!

That was a great video and song. also should be footnoted that no animals, and cars were hurt in the filming of this video. (excpet for that wall impact aftermath clip).

Nice shufflesteering testimonial!

mk

Originally Posted by J richard
Whether this is "tokyo drift" , "drovers gone wild", "shuffle hand luke" or just a case of some really out of hand student (where is GR?) what the F happens 24 seconds into the clip?! there's some serious carnage, with at least two remains of cars in the track , one of which is greasy side up, clearly everyone is interested in getting by and back up to speed as soon as they can, and I have no idea what the idiot off roading in the honda is thinking...this is in a DE? with instructors? what org is this? scary stuff...

Its clear from the video that the drivers shirt changes in each shot so this must be his "wall of shame" shots of spills and thrills...
Old 03-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I never suggested making a mistake was the crime of the century. Rather, I was questioning the wisdom of the following statement you made: "If you've never made a mistake on track, you've never driven at 10/10ths [in a DE]."

When people add their own words to a quote that they're arguing with, it's a pretty good indication of the straw man fallacy. But since we're off on a DE-specific tangent anyway, I have to say that I really don't see him being that much of a danger to others. In my time on the track, I've seen more spins than I can even remember, but I've only seen 2 or 3 out of all of them that resulted in a spin & collect, and all of those cases of contact were during an actual wheel-to-wheel race and between cars that were much closer together than you'd see in a DE.

Yes, he should be talked to if he repeatedly has this problem and doesn't redeem himself with better driving, but other drivers have a responsibility to be aware as well. The other drivers should be keeping a safe distance, seeing as how it's clearly not a race. If you're DE'ing or Time Trial'ing and you can't avoid a spinning car in front of you, you're probably following too close. You really shouldn't be relying on other drivers to behave in a predictable manner unless it's a wheel-to-wheel racing environment with licensed racers, and even then it's obviously not a guarantee. No matter what group you drive in, there's always some risk when you get on the track.

When it comes to videos like this, let's enjoy the entertainment value of it (I bet that's why he put it out there), and maybe even learn from his mistakes so that we don't have to learn from as many of our own. It's not like this is a video of someone screwing around on the street or something like that.

Originally Posted by 171mph
Now back to being flamed by people who base their judgement on one data point marked 'wipeout'....
Yup, gotta love the Internet! No one needs the full story, and everyone's an expert and has an opinion. Some of the comments in here remind me of the general population on YouTube.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Weston
When people add their own words to a quote that they're arguing with, it's a pretty good indication of the straw man fallacy. But since we're off on a DE-specific tangent anyway, I have to say that I really don't see him being that much of a danger to others. In my time on the track, I've seen more spins than I can even remember, but I've only seen 2 or 3 out of all of them that resulted in a spin & collect, and all of those cases of contact were during an actual wheel-to-wheel race and between cars that were much closer together than you'd see in a DE.

Yes, he should be talked to if he repeatedly has this problem and doesn't redeem himself with better driving, but other drivers have a responsibility to be aware as well. The other drivers should be keeping a safe distance, seeing as how it's clearly not a race. If you're DE'ing or Time Trial'ing and you can't avoid a spinning car in front of you, you're probably following too close. You really shouldn't be relying on other drivers to behave in a predictable manner unless it's a wheel-to-wheel racing environment with licensed racers, and even then it's obviously not a guarantee. No matter what group you drive in, there's always some risk when you get on the track.

When it comes to videos like this, let's enjoy the entertainment value of it (I bet that's why he put it out there), and maybe even learn from his mistakes so that we don't have to learn from as many of our own. It's not like this is a video of someone screwing around on the street or something like that.

Yup, gotta love the Internet! No one needs the full story, and everyone's an expert and has an opinion. Some of the comments in here remind me of the general population on YouTube.
Oh, brother. One of my favorite quotes from 'Cool Hand Luke': "Some men you just can't reach".

Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Weston
Racer

Oh, brother. One of my favorite quotes from 'Cool Hand Luke': "Some men you just can't reach".

Wow, so now you've given up on arguing the facts and have to resort to trying to make it personal. I suppose I'll let you "win" this silly argument if you're going to play it that way then... It would only be a matter of time until this thread gets moderated anyway. Silly me, I should have known better than to try to reason with someone who feels the need to add "Professional Racing and Driving Coach" to every post that he makes.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You really shouldn't be relying on other drivers to behave in a predictable manner unless it's a wheel-to-wheel racing environment with licensed racers, and even then it's obviously not a guarantee. No matter what group you drive in, there's always some risk when you get on the track.
I wouldn't rely off track either. Wouldn't even make it through the next crossing in rush hour..
Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LOL...what facts, Weston? The fact that, in a discussion about antics at a DE, you said "If you've never made a mistake on track, you've never driven at 10/10ths."?

That inconvenient fact?

My point stands, irrespective of your backpedaling: There is no place for driving at 10/10ths at any DE. Period.

Now, scurry off and make another attempt to demean what I do for a living. It speaks volumes, especially when you accuse me of "making it personal".

Have a nice day!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats a mid engined car too (Boxster/Cayman).. how can you spin it so many times
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by Rassel
I wouldn't rely off track either. Wouldn't even make it through the next crossing in rush hour..
Good point. Driving to the track can be more dangerous than racing on the track.

LOL...what facts, Weston? The fact that, in a discussion about antics at a DE, you said "If you've never made a mistake on track, you've never driven at 10/10ths."?

That inconvenient fact?

My point stands, irrespective of your backpedaling: There is no place for driving at 10/10ths at any DE. Period.

Now, scurry off and make another attempt to demean what I do for a living. It speaks volumes, especially when you accuse me of "making it personal".

Have a nice day!

I see that you really like the straw man fallacy. In any case, your profession is good and all (thanks for trying to misrepresent what I said though!), but it really says something about a person's mentality when they feel the need to add it to every post that they make. As I said earlier, I should have known better than to try to reason with you.

As for the rest, I've already declared that you can "win" the silly argument... Why do you still want to argue? Are we done now, or do you still need to get the last word in?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Thats a mid engined car too (Boxster/Cayman).. how can you spin it so many times
LOL....it takes special effort. Likely someone driving 10/10ths in a DE.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Silly me, I should have known better than to try to reason with someone who feels the need to add "Professional Racing and Driving Coach" to every post that he makes.
Hey, you should have seen his old advertisement....
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Hey, you should have seen his old advertisement....
Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Seems I really struck a nerve with ol' Weston, eh? See you on Saturday.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Now, scurry off and make another attempt to demean what I do for a living.
That's what you do for a living? Seriously...?

Quick Reply: Hoo-boy: Here's how not to drove a Porsche