Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma......

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

it is just that I haven't used Hoosiers yet.....
Then why are you worrying about which width to run?

Yes, short gears......
Then your car will be classified in the GT classes as short gearsets are not legal in Stock or Prepared classes. Just to help you out, your car would most likely run in GT5S
Old 02-27-2009, 10:52 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Then why are you worrying about which width to run?

Then your car will be classified in the GT classes as short gearsets are not legal in Stock or Prepared classes.
I need to order a set......
As far the short gears, I might be wrong (what do I know?) anyway my mechanic will go thru the car according to the CR rules and regulations and classify it accordingly......
Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I skipped 3 pages. Ronnie is a good driver but my personal opinion is he has issues with authority (and maybe height issues too!). Let the fact go that he was fast in your car and move on. Sit down and spend an hour listening to him tell you which way the world turns then draw your own conclusions. I ordered the clams... If you think that car will run in a GT class and be competitive you may as well start drinking now. I sold my 2500LB 300HP 930 because I knew it wouldn't be...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I skipped 3 pages. Ronnie is a good driver but my personal opinion is he has issues with authority (and maybe height issues too!). Let the fact go that he was fast in your car and move on. Sit down and spend an hour listening to him tell you which way the world turns then draw your own conclusions. I ordered the clams... If you think that car will run in a GT class and be competitive you may as well start drinking now. I sold my 2500LB 300HP 930 because I knew it wouldn't be...
OK, OK....... I am moving on........

But what is all this GT talk? The car was in E at his time, nothing was changed, and now it is GT class?
I just don't get it........(but then what else is new?)
Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Your car is a F Stock car... just drive and go from there.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

But what is all this GT talk? The car was in E at his time, nothing was changed, and now it is GT class?
Paolo, read the rule book, if your car has short gears, then it is not a legal transmission for either stock or prepared classes, regardless of where Ronnie ran the car at the time. That means you will end up running in the GT Classes.

Your car is a F Stock car
The car is at least Prepared E (stock F) with the wing, big brakes, and chip.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Paolo, read the rule book, if your car has short gears, then it is not a legal transmission for either stock or prepared classes, regardless of where Ronnie ran the car at the time. That means you will end up running in the GT Classes.

The car is at least Prepared E (stock F) with the wing, big brakes, and chip.
Rule 5 under Prepared changes don't cover this?

Also, Prepared E and stock F are not the same. Prepared E is a D class car that has been prepared. At least, that's my understanding when I look at clubregistration.net to see who else is in my class.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,210 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Paolo have you tried to fit 245/275s under there? I know some run them but I am having rubbing issues with 225/245 as it is.
You're running fuchs? If so, that's why. 245/275 will fit with custom offset wheels, fender rolling, and possibly 'adjustment' of the oil lines in the right rear fender. I've also heard of having to shave spring plate bolts to give additional clearance - 275 is very tight.

Also, consider effects on gearing with different sidewall and rim heights. Some are running those sizes on 15" rims and get great pull out of corners due to the shorter effective ratio.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey, I just reviewed the specs of the car and it has a short shifter, not short gears.....
sorry for the confusion.......
(for a second I thought about selling the car and going SM)

Anyway, the original tire set up question is still on the table........

Thanks for the inputs so far.....
Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Just trying to save you some headache at your first race.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Got it..... thanks Geoffrey.....
Old 02-28-2009, 08:52 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Back to your original question... It's my understanding that "wider tires" does not always mean more grip and thus quicker lap times. Depends on the weight of the car and how much heat you can get into the tires. When I had my 964 I was asking the right people about wider tires and they kept coming back to what I outlined above. Could be that 225/245 was the sweet spot for your car and the particular tires being run. With improved tire technology, it might be that slightly wider might prove to be the "new" sweet spot. You might have to ask around (people with similar car), experiment, etc.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Also Paolo going from RA-1's to R6's WILL increase your grip level.

I just tried it for the first time at Roebling last weekend and was amazed at the difference.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Paolo, to put that time in perspective - last year Bill Richter ran a 1:01.1 in a D car running 245/275. That's two classes below your car. Setup is about what you make of it. His time is fast, but doesn't mean it couldn't be faster with another driver and setup to suit his style.

I'd run what you've got. Then use DE's to experiment with setup. Cups and saucers would be the perfect venue. If Gary goes, you could borrow a set of his

BTW, there are guys who are very fast and win races who are running 15 inch wheels with very skinny tires.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Sean, this will be my first rookie race. My main goal is to finish accident free......

I guess I really should not worry about minutia......

BTW, there will be another set of black CCW with mounted R6s at LRP this year, kind of like the ones in your and Gary's avatar.......

Quick Reply: Dilemma......