Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What hourly rate do you pay for work and setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
To a point of diminishing returns. Most $200 lawyers are at least twice as valuable as $100 lawyers, but $600 lawyers are seldom 3X better than $200 lawyers.
Unless you are a Cabinet nominee who evades taxes.

Professional Racing and Driving Coaching
PM me if you want faster lap times!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The rate at which that is occuring is making me seriously not consider sending mine in. I mean, if they can get away with so much for so long.... I need more tires damnit!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PedroNole
The rate at which that is occuring is making me seriously not consider sending mine in. I mean, if they can get away with so much for so long.... I need more tires damnit!
Right you are. Also, consider not paying your mortage. You will be sympathized with & rewarded!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:47 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

To a point of diminishing returns. Most $200 lawyers are at least twice as valuable as $100 lawyers, but $600 lawyers are seldom 3X better than $200 lawyers.
I agree to a point. If it is a complicated, specialized issue, $600/hr may be cheaper in the long run.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Fixing things once is usually much cheaper.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
I agree to a point. If it is a complicated, specialized issue, $600/hr may be cheaper in the long run.
Agreed. I was generalizing. In fact, we have some DC firms where the associates start at > $500. I tell them to talk fast.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Hey, why pay the IRS when you can run it?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Hey, why pay the IRS when you can run it?

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 03-20-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Viva Alberto Gonzales!!

There are a couple great shops around here, places like GMG and Hergesheimer charge a bit more, but they're also very honest about the hours they actually work on the car.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few shops I know of that charge half as much per labor hour but charge twice as many hours, funny how that works out. They also are always having to do repairs at the track to their customers cars where I am usually just changing tires,playing with setup, data, and coaching racecraft.
I am not the cheapest mechanic in town, nor do I want to be known as the cheapest mechanic in town.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Ha!

Now you can understand why they don't mind raising everyone elses taxes sky high. They don't PAY theirs.

I have a sliding scale based on ability to pay. My nominal rate is $75. I have a freind out busting his **** on weekends delivering wood stoves to pay for his Porsche addiction. He pays $55.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Viva Alberto Gonzales!!
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I think it should be on a sliding scale based upon the level of difficulty and skill of the shop and/or tech doing the work.

Example: I wouldn't want to pay $100/hour for a guy to put seats & harnesses in my car. (Although I do all that work myself)
I would however pay $100/hour for a good tech doing an engine rebuild.

When I was in college one of my jobs was working at a car dealership. I handled dispatching of the service work etc. Everything was based on a flat rate which we billed at $55/hour. eg. Valve cover gasket replacement. 1.5 hours = $82.50 labor. No matter how long it took!

It seems at least now on our cars everything is billed at how long the job takes? The guy paying for it is at the mercy of the experience and speed of the technitian. a CYA way of doing business from a shop's perspective. I'd prefer a shop to give me a accurate estimate upfront of the work and stay within those perameters. I get tired of hearing that this job took 2+ more hours than I thought, etc which leaves me paying $200 more.

The last time I had a decent amount of mechanical work done at a shop I went to them with my list of all the items I was having installed, replaced, etc. and requested a bid to get it done; they honored that.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:44 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
I think it should be on a sliding scale based upon the level of difficulty and skill of the shop and/or tech doing the work.

Example: I wouldn't want to pay $100/hour for a guy to put seats & harnesses in my car.
Interesting.
I recently redid a seat install where another shop had mounted the race seat into the floor of a Corvette. It was mounted thru the floor which was fiberglass and wood ! I don't care what the previous guy paid but it was too much !
Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Interesting.
I recently redid a seat install where another shop had mounted the race seat into the floor of a Corvette. It was mounted thru the floor which was fiberglass and wood ! I don't care what the previous guy paid but it was too much !
I'm not saying bring your car to Mitas to have simple work done to get a low labor rate. You have to bring it to a reputable shop. But I think you can have different skill level technitians who work on different items.. Suspension, prep, etc. one rate. Engine tranny another, etc.

You don't need a neurologist to remove your tonsils. nor do you want to pay a neurologists rate for that service.

Quick Reply: What hourly rate do you pay for work and setup?