Sponsored by:

Data Acquisition Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:26 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Data Acquisition Options

I'm interested in incorporating a data acquisition system to improve my driving and would like some input as to what system is the best with the least amount of fuss. I've read previous threads regarding the systems avaiable and have narrowed down the search to the Traqmate and MyChron systems. I'd love to hear the plus and minuses for both from experienced users. My son has a MyChron on his kart and it's an ease to operate.

I do want a system to track speed throughout track, use of braking, acceleration and other basic operating components. I would like a system that mounts to the dash and can be used to monitor rpms, shift points and be able to see lap times with ease. I do not have a need to spend extensive time downloading all sorts of data and create spreadsheets.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if we could also add the iq3 to the discussion which strikes me as a good option for the price. Traqmate seems to have a very user friendly interface, how easy to use is the AIM or racepak software? I remember reading about a group buy of the iq3 last year, how did the purchasers make out with it?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:11 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

If I am reading your needs correctly, it seems you want bang for the buck and limited fuss. Traqmate is a great unit because of the ease of use of the software. However, the Traqmate unit does not provide a huge amount of real-time feedback. It's got the predictive laptime, and regular timing. It does not have a 'dash' that shows RPMS and gauges like the MyCron does. We added the Ecliptech shift lights to our Traqmate setup so we had shift lights.

In terms of low 'fuss' the Traqmate can't be beat. The software is super simple and that is the key, especially if you are new to Data Acquisition. If you don't want to take the time to really master the software then the results you get may not match your expectations. Since Traqmate is so simple, it's got a great return on investment in this regard. The AiM software, while more powerful, is much more complicated.

In terms of driver improvement, then best data to gather is TPS, Brake, RPM. Steering angle is also really good to add, but it's a bit more complicated to rig generally because you have to get a steering angle sensor, install, and calibrate it. I believe you can get TPS and RPM off your DME. We just did a '97 993 today and did just that.

No matter what you decide, be sure to get software that you are comfortable using. Most of the manufactures allow downloads of the software so you can play with it and see how it works. If you are not comfortable with the software then your investment in DAS will be wasted, so keep that in mind when you purchase. I can't stress this enough.

So if you favor real-time display, go AiM. If you favor ease of use and GPS, go Traqmate. Race Technology is somewhere in the middle IMHO.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

A fringe choice is Race-Keeper, a new GPS video type. No real time feedback, but it is Mac compatible. a big issue for myself. PSDS uses it at Barber. Good for video and OBDII connection for data.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:14 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do a search on this because I know recently we just had a pretty good discussion on the options pros/cons of the various systems. I just bought the traqmate base on cost and ease of use. Also I got in on a group buy that made it nice.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts

If I was buying a system today I would look very hard at the IQ3.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:08 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Long answer: Search on Data Acquisition and you'll get a couple hundred threads on the same subject and can read the pros/cons of various systems.

Short answer: I picked TraqMate after extensive debate.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+1 on the IQ3.
I've had one in my car since early last season, and its very impressive.
The dash display is superb, easily on the same level of the Aim MXL and MoTeC ADL.
The sensor system is far superior to AiM. Its true 'plug & play' in that the sensors self identify and are registered in the software.No fooling around. They all plug together on a single cable [CAN] bus, so the wiring is dead reliable.
The software [DatalinkII] is extremely capable, and while its not as simple as the Traqmate stuff, it is in a different league. I run AiM's Race Studio and MoTeC i2Pro regularly. Datalink is certainly a peer in this group. Nothing has the depth of MoTeC's i2Pro except the top of the line Pi Reseach software, and they are both very much professional packages. DatalinkII is in the same league.

The IQ3 package gives you a pro grade in car display and 32 channel logger in one unit for $1395, which is unbeatable. A four channel sensor package is an extra $150. The build quality is superb.

I wish Racepak could figure out how to promote the IQ3 more widely. Its the best kept secret in the business.

Last edited by APKhaos; 02-23-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

There was a huge thread on this exact topic just last week.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:45 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Race-Keeper looks to be pretty good!
GPS and OBD data.
Allows comparison of laps or sessions.
You can D/L the software and some sample laps from their site.
Support is first class and responsive!!!
Not MAC yet but works fine under VM

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Check out...

http://www.racepak.com/Home.php The G2X is what a lot of our Club Racers are using....but damn, that Race Keeper looks mighty cool....looks to be about $3,000 for the full deal including camera and the OBD II reader....very impressive.

For the time being, I'll just use my $200 Hero camera and a cheap in car timer....If I had an extra $3,000, I'd get a ......

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-23-2009 at 03:51 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I've read countless threads on the topic and need to see some of these devices in person. Just like everything else, the more you spend, the greater the features. I just need to narrow down the "must haves".
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this should be a seperate thread...

mods feel free to move this.

We dicussed DAS in students cars this past weekend @ Peachtree's BMW instructors meeting.

We are starting to see a few cars that are set up with DAS at D E Events.

All clubs that I run with discourage timing... but DAS is here, and is a tool that can help students learn different approaches in cornering.

We are still in the discussion stage.. but I would like others to imput their thoughts.

Thanks,

Trumper
Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Must haves IMO for a driver improvement goal.

RPM
Throttle Position
Brake Pressure (2 if you have adjustable bias is nice)
Steering Angle
Speed/Mapping

What would I choose from what I can see in your posts.

You already know the AIM software so you are a step ahead there. You want shift lights and a dash that can give you lap times.

I'd get the Mychron 3XG Log. I have it my car currently. Great as a dash. Can add a GPS sensor to it if you want GPS.

You're looking at about 1550 for the dash, sensors, and patch cables, and if you want GPS another 600 on top of that. 2150ish.

With the traqmate you are looking at 1700ish for the entire package.

So you're paying a bit more for the better dash, shift lights, etc. Is it worth it to you. As I have no dash whatsoever in the formula car it's a no brainer. In your car it may not be so straight forward.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2 cents....
AIM/Mychron
My son's Mychron 4 2T with GPS has been an excellent tool this season. The realtime laptime display/prediction allows him to know on track if he's ahead or behind his best time...especially important in qual when you need to save your tires for the rest of the day/weekend. Of course the analysis is always good for arguments back in the hotel later that night...

As previously mentioned, going from an AIM kart to car product is pretty simple, the interface/analysis is nearly identical.

In the karting world, there is almost always an AIM rep at each event, helping with issues/problems/upgrades. Last year in FL, we had an intermittent EGT and they replaced the main PCB at the track during lunch break for N/C

Quick Reply: Data Acquisition Options