Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOW WITH PICS! Pagid Pad Disintegration and Clicking Noise (2 parter)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

anyone notice that the inner diameter area is more burned than the outer? I find that interesting in that the outer diameter is spinning so much faster (surface area speed) than the inner. you would think that the outer diameter area would be much more destroyed. why is that not the case?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other question, do you run them on the street? I have seen some of the chuncking on pads that were street driven (and got wet and absorbed the moisture) but never to that extreme. The RS-19s that were on my race car always wore nicely.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run Pagid "Blacks" RS #? ever since I started racing in 2004. My pads usually last 4-5 race weekends and ALWAYS crack as shown in the pic above. They usually have 3-6mm of material left on the backing plate when they start to come apart. I always do my best in bedding them in based on Pagids website and bring them in and letting them cool. I also always replace pads with used rotors and new rotors with old pads. Only race, never street.

Craig, based on all the Pagid logos on your post, are you affiliated with them? If so you have to see this with all of Pagid pads. I've purchased 20 plus sets of pads over the years and have never seen them last to the backing plate! I am looking for another brand as we speak.

Last edited by Brinkley; 03-15-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
As a data point, this kind of scenario is definitely not normal.
Originally Posted by Brinkley
I ...My pads usually last 4-5 race weekends and ALWAYS crack as shown in the pic above. They usually have 3-6mm of material left on the backing plate when they start to come apart....
Why do you believe the pads chunking is "not normal"? I think there are more than a few data points indicating they do come apart. One would be an anomaly. Two would be a coincidence. Three(+) looks like something more than "abnormal." Heck, I've posted pics of FOUR sets that came apart - but have had at least that many I didn't take pics of. I'm sure many others have experienced the pads chunking - and Pagid even recognizes that the pads can chunk. This leads me to believe this isn't really unusual.

-td
Old 03-15-2009, 04:15 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As the Pagid site says they do have the cracks but back to the original post, no not like that...

Lasting to the backing plate: No, NEVER ever RUN them to the backing plate!
No pad used on track should ever be run that far, no exceptions.

This whole thing is assisted by proper brake size for the usage, cooling, pad management...man, there are so many variables that short of living in the car it is so hard to point out actual causes over the internet.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:24 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

As the Pagid site says they do have the cracks but back to the original post, no not like that...

[...] No, NEVER ever RUN them to the backing plate!
I agree that you should not run pads to the backing plate, but as for the original post, the pad DISINTEGRATED down to the backing plate after it wore down to about 1/3. I DID NOT run it there intentionally. IMO, this is a Pagid pad issue that manifested itself. As you can see in the pictures, the complementary pad still had 3-4+mm of pad left. And, as you can see in the other pictures, the pads are all chunking.

This whole thing is assisted by proper brake size for the usage, cooling, pad management...man, there are so many variables that short of living in the car it is so hard to point out actual causes over the internet.
I have a STOCK 996, with STOCK brakes, OEM rotors (at the time) and GT3 cooling ducts, running 15-20 minute sessions. To me, this is an intended application using normal equipment.

The truth is, the pads DO crack, chip, and chunk. Some less than others, some more. But, considering different users, different cars, and different setups ALL RESULTING IN PAD ISSUES, I have to believe at least some of the issue is with the pad.

Can we get some other users of Pagid Yellows (RS29) or Blacks (RS14) to post pictures of pads below 1/2?

-td
Old 03-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RS29 - FL/O

Last edited by Rassel; 08-02-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:30 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are worn much, much too far - and you have some serious pad taper from your caliper as well.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

For what it's worth, my RS14's ALWAYS look like this after about 50% pad usage. When I used to run Pagid Oranges, they never disintegrated like this. I ran Pagid Yellows once, and I couldn't stand the lack of braking power (compared to the RS14's), so I didn't get a chance to run it down to half pad.

I've tried it on a variety of rotors and also have rebuilt the calipers, and I still get the same chunking issue.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Oh, dont worry, almighty Velochi Rahptor says its ok, so i wouldnt worry about it.

Heck, ive seen BMW guys install pads this way:
I hear the backing plate is pretty grippy!

mk

Lasting to the backing plate: No, NEVER ever RUN them to the backing plate!

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

lets face it folks, the heat these things tollerate is nothing short of amazing. they are like the tiles on the space shuttle.
anyway, if you pull them at 5-7mm, (about half gone) they are never this bad. I havent tried the blacks yet, but with the much smaller oranges, with the single piston calipers, and smaller rotors, they would become pretty useless at about 7mm. on the S4 calipers and larger rotors, they were pretty darn good until 5-7mm. any further, and you risk putting way too much heat into the calipers and the material chunks away as shown by the pics in this thread. Im wondering if the ceramic based pad of the RS14, will show any differences vs the oranges.

mk
Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Lets take a vote. who would want this pad, magus had a picture of, on the front brakes going into turn 1 at Road America?
Originally Posted by Rassel
RS29 - FL/O
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Lets take a vote. who would want this pad, magus had a picture of, on the front brakes going into turn 1 at Road America?
Since I overbrake that turn anyhow , maybe that's exactly what I need
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thats probably what im going to be saying this next race weekend with my new RS14s and larger rotors! I think a lot of the reason my car does as well as it does, as I havent added some of the go fast stuff that usually messes most people up! (like stiffer springs, rear sways, 3 way shocks, huge brakes, etc etc)

mk

Originally Posted by Brian P
Since I overbrake that turn anyhow , maybe that's exactly what I need
Old 03-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those are worn much, much too far - and you have some serious pad taper from your caliper as well.
Result of a stuck piston.
Without having chunks falling off.

Have tried Pagids on most applications so far without disappointment.
Took though used Pads from a Cup and put on a GT3 once - which obviously wasn't a good combo.

Quick Reply: NOW WITH PICS! Pagid Pad Disintegration and Clicking Noise (2 parter)