Sponsored by:

12 Hours of Sebring Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:36 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 Hours of Sebring Question

Are the Porscheplatz tickets for the 12 hours worth the extra $50? I know you get into the hospitality tent and you get the porsche corral parking. Is that worth the $50???

Are those tickets the only way to park in the Porsche corrall?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by THXBABE
Are the Porscheplatz tickets for the 12 hours worth the extra $50? I know you get into the hospitality tent and you get the porsche corral parking. Is that worth the $50???

Are those tickets the only way to park in the Porsche corrall?
The $50 gets you parking in the corral and nothing else. A big time money grab by IM$A. When they started this crap a few years ago they promised food and drinks and all kinds of great stuff. There was no difference from the many years before when it was free to Porsche owners. The local Porsche dealers still pay for the corral but now IM$A makes the fans pay to park.

Anybody can walk into the corral but if you want to park there, you have to pay.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up and saving me the $50!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, for your $50 they give away some cheesy door prizes for weird things like who drove the farthest, have some of the Porsche team owners come over and talk up their teams, and have a few Porsche Motorsport personnel talk up the plans for the season. On the other hand, when its 90 degrees out and you're a little hot and tired its tent is a cool place to sit that isn't packed wall-to-wall with people, they usually do give out bottled water which is a nicety without having to pay $2.50 a bottle for it, its got a great view of the outside of Sunset Bend (Turn 17), and the parking is fenced off, and somewhat controlled, so I feel better about leaving my car there than in the general areas. Finally, usually on Friday evening after the last support race they let 100 pre-registered paddock cars out to drive two parade laps of the circuit. If you've never been on the track that might be worth $5 or $10. So is it a real premium package? No, but it has a few perks.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

We always fly down so no Porsche along and hang in the tent anyway, no one has ever asked us to pay, I am shocked there is a charge.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

is there a decent hotel by the track?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

Hotel Elan is right on the track at the hairpin. Don't know about availability. My first Sebring was last year. I camped at the track Wednesday to Saturday night with the $100 superticket. Enjoyed all the track parties and fun , saw all the practices , support races, qualifying, team autographs, etc, etc, etc. Flight are booked. YOOHOOO!. I'll be in turn 10 again with the Looney Toons gang from over on Sebringfans.com. Hotels book up fast so you may be out of luck for something relatively close. After camping last year no way would I go for a hotel...... Well considering there was a microburst that went through the track two years ago on one of the days I might consider it..... Naaahhh. I'll just hang out in the car till the rain is over.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The Sheraton Elan is booked up and h as been for a long time.

I just drive over from Tampa and arrive at about 7:30-8am, park somewhere on Midway and walk the pits till the race starts and then watch the race until around 4pm, drive back to Tampa and finish it up on TV.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
naptownmike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are still a few hotels available they have a 5 night min. and most are pretty seedy. Check the sebring camber of commerce website they have a list of local hotels. I just booked one for my father and I last week.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Blackness
Pro

It's worth the extra price to me because of the location (T17) which is a good home base between the paddock and the hairpin. Bottled water and a place to sit in the shade in the mid-afternoon is not bad either.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:25 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

What is the closest town that might have a decent hotel?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Jeeper

Sebring is in the middle of nowhere. It is agricultural and most of the surrounding towns are farm type towns. For the race most of the area hotel have 4-5 night minimums. The hotel at the track Chateu Elan over looks the hairpin, which is cool, but they are USUALLY booked in advance and have the 4 or 5 night minimum. Might be worth a call to check on cancellations.

I think the other larger hotel in town is called Lakeside Inn (or something like that). The other places I have seen are motels.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by THXBABE
I think the other larger hotel in town is called Lakeside Inn (or something like that). The other places I have seen are motels.
I believe you mean "Inn on the Lakes", but good luck finding anything around there. There's also a new Residence Inn as well as numerous other chains.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:56 PM
naptownmike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

try Avon its out on route 27 not far from the track
Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Avon Park will be filled up also. Next bet is to start looking as far north as Lake Wales, Winter Haven and then Lakeland. Any of those places will be an hour or more from the track, but unless you're camping or have friends/relatives in the vicinity, that's going to be your best chance to find a room (unless there's a cancellation somewhere).

Chateau Elan at the track... Forgetaboutit! Multiple night minimum stay, premium room rates, as well as the rooms being booked at the maximum advance booking date means no way Jose'.

I checked RV rentals. Pretty steep for anything nice, but if you have a few guys willing to pitch in, it may be your best bet yet. If this is your ticket, plan on getting there Wed or early Thur.

Quick Reply: 12 Hours of Sebring Question