Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so why road racing (sportscar racing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Golf's for pussies, huh? Anyone here who wouldn't trade places with Tiger? Or #50 in the world?

So back to the topic at hand. My first exposure was NASCAR on TV. Then, Indy. But when I first started "competing" when I was 16 it was in local road rallies. Yep, math on wheels. That led me to this underground world of stage rallying. Never got my act together to actually do it, but I love running on low traction surfaces. Couple of years later, I got my first mechanic job at a shop where they campaigned an SCCA road race car. So that led to hanging around with that crowd, and when I was 20 I got my own car to prepare and lord over for a rookie driver. That car was then loaned to me to get my license. 25 years ago!

What I should have taken more seriously, when I lived in Phoenix, was the chance to get into a sprint car.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:17 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much easier to overnight a clutch-pac then main-sail like my dad had to do when he raced sailboats. Uniform has the same effect; drivers suit and fowl weather gear equally accepted at the finest event resturant.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Golf's for pussies, huh? Anyone here who wouldn't trade places with Tiger? Or #50 in the world?
I'd rather trade places with Lewis Hamilton.

Wouldn't you?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM
aft911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
My take - it's all about seat time...!

On an average night, with a decently quick car, say 10-12 seconds, a drag racer makes 5-6 passes.

That's 50 seconds to a max of 1 minute, 12 seconds of actual seat time per event.

One single session of a club race or DE will give you the equivalent of an entire season of drag racing seat time......

15 laps in a 30 minutes session at TWS for instance will net you 45 miles of driving experience while a drag racer has to pull off 180 passes for the same distance/enjoyment.

I can run darned near an hour on 5 gallons of pump gas while my drag racing friends burn 3-5 gallons (including burnout ) of RON 105 per pass.

Erm....these are the arguments I use when surrounded by drag racers...

T
Your reasoning is also the same line of thinking for why I've never gotten into AX. I think it would be lots of fun while you're on course, but from what I hear you don't get much time on course in a typical event.

I've never tried pure oval racing, but given two experiences at Rovals that used most of the oval turns, I found it kind of fun for a little while but then a bit boring compared to the road course bits.

I'd like to try dirt sometime, that looks like a hoot.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Golf's for pussies, huh? Anyone here who wouldn't trade places with Tiger? Or #50 in the world?.
Probably most of us would but it doesn't change the fact that golf is for pussies.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Sure I would, then I'd have enough money to quit golf and start a pro race team
Old 02-16-2009, 05:25 PM
sbarton
Instructor

When I had my MR2 Turbo, it was kind of good at everything. So I tried several different types of racing, just to check them out, and also because the skills learned in one form of racing, can help in road racing. With my MR2, I did, autocross, HPDE, Hill Climbs, drag racing, drifting, and Land Speed Racing. Of all of them, drifting was by far the hardest. None even come close to how much fun HPDE is though.

Click links above for videos.

-Scott
Old 02-16-2009, 06:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I started in Motocross because I could do that before I had a driver's license. Broke my leg, but only got better. Then they invented suspension and the 13 year olds were blowing me off. I moved to Autocross for a few years, but got bored standing around all day for a total of 3 min. track time and a plastic trophy. Went Radio control racing next and enjoyed the tech, but moved to karting when I realized that for the same money I could actually ride along. Started to worry about getting injured again after a few shunts, then I moved to DE, formula car driving schools and finally Club Racing, where I'm very happy. Keep a strong leg in cycling too, but too dangerous to compete. Can't help thinking about safety; it's so easy to put a dentist out of work!

Quick Reply: so why road racing (sportscar racing)