so why road racing (sportscar racing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:11 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
My take - it's all about seat time...!

On an average night, with a decently quick car, say 10-12 seconds, a drag racer makes 5-6 passes.

That's 50 seconds to a max of 1 minute, 12 seconds of actual seat time per event.

One single session of a club race or DE will give you the equivalent of an entire season of drag racing seat time......

15 laps in a 30 minutes session at TWS for instance will net you 45 miles of driving experience while a drag racer has to pull off 180 passes for the same distance/enjoyment.

I can run darned near an hour on 5 gallons of pump gas while my drag racing friends burn 3-5 gallons (including burnout ) of RON 105 per pass.

Erm....these are the arguments I use when surrounded by drag racers...

T

i understand, my wife is a cpa, she calculated what it was costing me to the second in my drag car. When i drag raced i would make a pass at 10am, then wait till 1pm, and may be one more before the night. then repeat the next day and if you lose 1st round you would make anywhere from 3 to 4 passes for a 3 day weekend. Road racing seems to give you a lot more seat time.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
In addition to track days, I have:
Raced motocross, and motocross enduros
Mountain bike racing Road bicycle racing
and time trials.
Very Cool! I did the bolded as well. Loved bicycle road touring and did lots of it, but never competed. Newer to the car thing...
Old 02-15-2009, 08:26 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Because like the sign says.....

Golf is for pussies.....

YEP
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Accelerator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I began with boats a long time ago. Next to many facets of motorcycle racing: enduros, hill climbs, trials, scrambles, drag racing and motocross. Then on to automobile drag racing and that one lasted for many years. I was actually able to make a little of money doing it. Got tired of making money :-) so I went to 3 racing schools and started SCCA racing for trophies and plaques. Got over that pretty quickly and laid off everythiing except street rods for many years. Now with age and a more conservative and cautious attitude, I'm back into the go-fast mode with DE's and that meets my needs very nicely.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:34 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Is there another kind of racing?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Is there another kind of racing?
You mean you've never races armored Suburbans through Bonn late at night when all the Bigs are asleep?

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:33 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, I started off with pure bling, 20's then 22's then 24's on Denalis and such. I had always wanted an M3 though and while I was on vacation in Scottsdale I went to look at some M3's, I had a buick rental car an 5 salesmen stood there looking at me like I was a chump, so I went and bought an M5 from another place and went back with different clothes on at which point some guy came running up so I did a burnout leaving the parking lot with those same yahoos standing there looking stunned.

I caught the mod bug with the M5 (E39) and happened to get to a drag strip between car shows and such. That was awesome, then after many $$$$$ in mods I finally figured out my M5 was too slow so I got a Corvette and went CRAZY (427, Twin Turbos), the Corvette was too broke all the time, but while it was in the shop I was led to Road Atlanta which is 5 minutes away from my house at which point it was all over. So then I ended up in a Porsche and it's been all good ever since.

Could care less about anything else now, hate car shows, drag strip only once a year to make sure the car is strong for the road course. Mind is consumed with road racing, doing laps day in and out in my mind.

Mountain runs are awesome too though.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:06 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've seen a figure-8 school bus event -- but that's basically road racing too, isn't it?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Accelerator
I began with boats a long time ago. Next to many facets of motorcycle racing: enduros, hill climbs, trials, scrambles, drag racing and motocross. Then on to automobile drag racing and that one lasted for many years. I was actually able to make a little of money doing it. Got tired of making money :-) so I went to 3 racing schools and started SCCA racing for trophies and plaques. Got over that pretty quickly and laid off everythiing except street rods for many years. Now with age and a more conservative and cautious attitude, I'm back into the go-fast mode with DE's and that meets my needs very nicely.
When did you race bikes, I'm wondering if we ever raced each other. At one point I was racing MX, harescrambles, enduros, and trials here in the SE (SERA, SETRA). I did so until I broke my ankle in 7 places in an MX race at Corner (I still won that moto). After healing I was never quite as bold and really haven't raced since. Still have my enduro bike but it's for sale.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

While recuperating in the hospital after a bycycle crash, my parents gave me an issue of Road & Track. Read about Jaguar XK 150s, AC Aces etc. Quit buying Hot Rod magazine, first car was an MGA followed by a BMW 700 Sport (Horizontal twin powered). Took the BMW to an auto-sprint in Virginville PA. Had a ball, bought an MGB and started running with the Pa Hillclimb Assc. The MGB evolved into a full house SCCA EP race car. Went to Drivers school at Marlboro and Watkins Glen, finally made it to the SCCA run-offs at Road Atlanta. Started family, sold car. Bought a Cayman and discovered a motorsport event called Drivers Education. 5 DEs last year, more planned this year. Just put GT-3 lower control arms on the Cayman. Been on this slippery slope before.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I used to autocross but there are almost no good sites or events in the Northeast while there are plenty of racetracks within driving distance.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I raced BMX, then went to R/C cars (For 7 Years), then started autocrossing, Timetrialing, and now wheel to wheel for the past 11years.
I stuck with road racing because I get dizzy easily turning left.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I saw Disney's "The Love Bug" when I was little and fell in love with all those cool 1960's sports cars racing at Riverside alongside Herbie. Jag E-types, vettes, Cobras, etc.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Because I saw Disney's "The Love Bug" when I was little and fell in love with all those cool 1960's sports cars racing at Riverside alongside Herbie. Jag E-types, vettes, Cobras, etc.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Accelerator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
When did you race bikes, I'm wondering if we ever raced each other. At one point I was racing MX, harescrambles, enduros, and trials here in the SE (SERA, SETRA). I did so until I broke my ankle in 7 places in an MX race at Corner (I still won that moto). After healing I was never quite as bold and really haven't raced since. Still have my enduro bike but it's for sale.
I can tell from your picture I was doing it a long time before you. The front suspension on my Husky 400 was about 3" and the rear was about 1.5. Late 60's - early 70's.

When I went to the Barber Museum it was fun to see some of the old bikes (not very many of them) like I used to race.

Quick Reply: so why road racing (sportscar racing)