Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

How DIY are you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted mostly DIY but the only things done on the spec car by others was the cage (of course by Tony). As I get older I rely on my crew chief (Son) to do more of the work where I can't. (Sent him to the Jim Russel Mechanics school and now works with TRG -- he owes me !)
Old 02-15-2009, 10:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great to hear everyone's stories. I should have given it more thought; how to really split things more finely. But I think everyone playing along has figured it out.

It's just that I started so young (and broke and with a 911 of all things), that I've really never bonded with any shop. Some machinists, yes. But a lot of that, when I was doing a lot of engines, I did myself up at my uncle's farm. And honestly, I've never really strayed too much from what we'll call stock/prepared classes.

I hear most of you on the time tradeoff. Ultimately for me, if I don't have the time to devote to the task I just don't participate. But I'm weird that way...........
Old 02-15-2009, 10:21 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much total here. The rebuild of #11 last winter [new tub] had a few bits farmed out, including:
- Drive train transfer, because I don't have shop space for two cars if I want to maintain Janet's suport for this madness.
- Cage fit & weld into the new tub, although I sectioned the old tub and removed the cage.
- Engine machine shop work goes out, but the engine work is done here.
- Alignments.

I get some weird comfort from knowing stuff is right, and I'm OK with taking the heat if its not.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Arrive and Drive (and Drive)

I arrive in my car,
then drive in my car,
then drive it back home.

Trailers are for those cautious, soft-boned guys I pass on the track.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Trailers are for girls.
Hmmm. I like girls.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I edited my post, since I like girls too.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Heh
Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Arrive and Drive (and Drive)

I arrive in my car,
then drive in my car,
then drive it back home.

Trailers are for those cautious, soft-boned guys I pass on the track.
Good one.

I answered #1 - I don't tackle serious body work; and I can't justify the expense of an alignment rack or tire mounter.

Other than that, i do everything myself.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Total DIY.
I have done everything on my car myself except for a few things. It is easier to state what have farmed out vs not. Remember my car is home built and home maintianed over 95 races and some 8 track seasons.

1) Cage.... I can't weld
2) First Alignment/corner balance .. No scales, but that was once in almost 9 years. I have done all else at home
3) Head work.... No machine shop
4) Tranny rebuild.... I have not needed to do this on my race car, but had it done on my street car. I might give it a try as I have spare non working gearbox laying around.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:46 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I enjoy working on/building cars, and I think it's important to understand how everything works and it gives you the confidence that things aren't going to fall off, I've done pretty much everything on my 911s, less so on the 44,so I'm getting to know it, but like several of you, I just don't have the time for everything...so it depends on schedule, if I have the time I do it myself, if I don't its off to the shop...

I think the big thing is setup...if you know how much you have left on a bar or where your shock settings are, then it's a more intuitive thing to adjust...but I'd like a professional to get a baseline to start...

I gave up driving to the track, after I spent more on towing than a trailer cost...worth every dime, and if something decides not to work, pull it on the trailer and drive it home.

I know a few guys that do the arrive and drive, just show up and they have your car fueled up, dusted off and ready to go... sometimes that seems pretty nice, but then half the fun is messing with it....
Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by M758
Total DIY....
I can vouch for that! Last race joe broke a front spindle and had the whole front end off and rebuilt between sessions...dropped the wrenches just in time to qualify...I would have drug it back on the trailer and sat and watched the race...
Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do pretty much everything, but I'll sub out the cage on my current SC project. Everything else is my bloody knuckles.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

95% of the way to total DIY; some skills I have to farm out, mainly welding cage, really. Do my own bodywork, and have gotten rather good with a spraybomb!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
95% of the way to total DIY; some skills I have to farm out, mainly welding cage, really. Do my own bodywork, and have gotten rather good with a spraybomb!
Right there with you; except, I'm way behind this year so the car goes out to paint on Wed (after being spray bombed last year). This winter I tackled installing fiberglass and some more bondo work.

Once the car is together I need to start working on my spare engine. I will likely send the crank out to be checked but I will do everything else.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Zero DIY.
I leave everything, including oil changes to the professionals.
I do enjoy washing/waxing.....it's relaxing, like vacuuming the house.

The only wrenching I do is on my son's karts....it's a miracle he's done as well as he has.

Quick Reply: How DIY are you?