Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offseason upgrades - H&N restraint and new harnesses. Any DefNder users???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Han's makes a low priced sport version, heavier then the GT. But just as effective
Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, I still dont' understand the issue regarding HANS weight.
It is sitting on your upper torso (with the appropriate padding) and then forced down via the harnesses.
At that point how much does the HANS weight matter?

Seems like marketing to me rather than mechanics.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, I still dont' understand the issue regarding HANS weight.
It is sitting on your upper torso (with the appropriate padding) and then forced down via the harnesses.
At that point how much does the HANS weight matter?

Seems like marketing to me rather than mechanics.
I agree. Although there is a Stand21 HANS prototype that I saw at PRI that made the professional feel like a boat anchor.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you are strapped I challenge anyone to tell the difference by any means. They all felt the same to me. After a race I couldn't feel any difference either. If you are dedicated to losing all the extra ounces you can a little dieting will help more than spending for the lighter HANS unit. Perhaps at the extremes of motorsport (open wheel cars pulling 3 to 5 G's) the few extra ounces at chest level might make a calculable difference on some engineer's notebook.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:31 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

I do not have the skills to comment from a racing perspective (hmmm....actually, barely from a DE perspective - Blue/Yellow run group) but I ordered a DefNder two weeks ago from Apex, received it a few days later, and used it at a DE this last weekend (6 point Schroth, 3" webbing, GT3 seats, harness bar). It is the only H&N device I have worn, so I cannot compare it to any other model.

I found it comfortable, easy on and off ONCE I GOT USED TO IT. The "horse collar" slides on from behind, then you put on your helmet, then clip the strap on each side to your helmet. Getting the clips on by feel is difficult the first time, but by the end of the weekend could be done without much fumbling.

The rear sliding tether seems similar to what I have seen on HANS. The addition lateral tether protects against side impacts, but seems to me to also hold the helmet in place in high G turns, improving comfort. I am in a street car on street tires - I would be curious if someone running R-comps thinks the lateral tether provides additional comfort.

The lateral tether also restricts the amount you can turn your head (if I had it adjusted correctly). While the rear sliding tether would allow substantial side to side movement, the lateral tether hold you to about one inch left or right from center. This was the biggest adjustment for me - at pit out, I could not look back to see if the track was clear, had to rely on the corner worker and mirrors.

Bottom line, after the first few sessions, I forgot I had it on, except occasionally when for whatever reason, I wanted to turn my head to look out the side window. From a crashworthiness standpoint, I did hit an orange cone in the next to last run session, and sustained NO head or neck injuries.

Happy to answer questions/take pictures if it would help. Will be back out at the track for the next DE March 13, 14, 15.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

There's a full H&N comparison in the latest SportsCar (scca's mag) It does a pretty good job of comparisons and comfort, cost etc...

imho I could not tell the difference between the pro vs the sport Hans, and definately not worth the additional cost. The fact that both the seat mfgrs (like recaro) and the belt makers (schroth, stabelt) specifically make hans compatable devices says something about the confidence in how these work as a system....

I do wish you could wear a helmet collar with the hans because it does not provide any lateral support, but theres no room. Visibility with the sliding tethers is still not great, so you need more care with your mirrors...
Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys... appreciate the comments and discussion. Just got the SportsCar yesterday and have not had a chance to look through it yet. I don't know if I'm convinced on the DefNder yet.

Correct me if I am wrong... you can pull on a HANS/helmet combo over their head in one piece, with tethers preattached, right?

It is good to know about the Sport HANS. So the weight is going to affect a formula driver more than me in the lowly, low speed, low G 944? If so that makes the case compelling indeed for the Sport HANS as it is a proven device. The DefNder does way as much as it does anyway.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
Thanks guys... appreciate the comments and discussion. Just got the SportsCar yesterday and have not had a chance to look through it yet. I don't know if I'm convinced on the DefNder yet.

Correct me if I am wrong... you can pull on a HANS/helmet combo over their head in one piece, with tethers preattached, right?

It is good to know about the Sport HANS. So the weight is going to affect a formula driver more than me in the lowly, low speed, low G 944? If so that makes the case compelling indeed for the Sport HANS as it is a proven device. The DefNder does way as much as it does anyway.

The weight of the Sport HANS is something I wouldn't worry about.

I can't pull the HANS over my head I have to slide it onto my neck from behind. I always put the HANS on first, then the helmet and attach the tethers last. Same with the DefNder.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by J richard
... The fact that both the seat mfgrs (like recaro) and the belt makers (schroth, stabelt) specifically make hans compatable devices says something about the confidence in how these work as a system.....
Except for the fact the H&D stated that you don't need HANS specific shoulder belts, the 3" belts work just fine.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Which also begs the question.

Does anyone know if the HANS device has ever been sled tested with the HANS specific (tapered) shoulder belts?

AFAIK, all the sled tests are done with standard 3" shoulder belts.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Which also begs the question.

Does anyone know if the HANS device has ever been sled tested with the HANS specific (tapered) shoulder belts?

AFAIK, all the sled tests are done with standard 3" shoulder belts.
I don't know if that combination has been tested, but both WSU and SFI protocols use 3" belts.

Quick Reply: Offseason upgrades - H&N restraint and new harnesses. Any DefNder users???