Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerodynamic down force

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the idea of the tufts and video on THE 10 is great. But being SoCal, I am sure it was no where near the weirdest car on the highway that day.

Lots of cool, creative ideas here.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis K
Thanks Chris! Did you manage not to break open any of those bags? Was this at Firebird Raceway?
It was at Chicago Speedway (oval). This was after the race and we had a test at Road America two days later. A long night converting the car to RCourse config. Ironically, the movie Driven was being filmed this weekend since Chicago Speedway is similar to Motegi in Japan. Lots of stories on that
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

VERY interesting information and methods! For my purposes I've just installed an RS wing blade on the rear of my street/track 6GT3 and I'm waiting for the RS splitter for the front to arrive. The wing is substantially larger than the stock wing and I'm not convinced that the front splitter will offset the front lift the rear wing will probably generate. To compensate I'm going to a slightly lower tire in the front in the hopes the added rake will help.
A friend has recently purchased a Viper ACR and Dodge has all sorts of data supporting all of the aero bits. I'm surprised Porsche has little data supporting the various configuations availble for the various models.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:59 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect that Porsche has reems of aero data...

now being willing to share IT ?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
DaveConn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leigh2,

Did you happen to see the January 2009 issue of Total 911? There is a small article about a guy in Europe who has a Mk1 GT3 that has been seriously modded. He comments that he worked with Manthey Motors, who have been building and racing Porsches for decades.

I know there are bound to be quite a few folks here in the U.S. who COULD talk your ear off about 996 aerodynamics (getting them to do it is another question), but FWIW, I have had good luck in the past talking with folks across the pond and getting good feeback on various issues (unfortunately not 996 related, as I have a 964).

In any case, if you run into a dead end, you might consider trying to contact someone like Manthey and see what they say.

Just a thought.

Dave

Quick Reply: Aerodynamic down force